Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets Get to the Real Benefit of an Orchiectomy

Lets Get to the Real Benefit of an Orchiectomy

Many of us, myself included say we want an Orchiectomy but do we really know why? I mean what is the benefit say in my personal example:

From the 2 years on large doses of Spiro, my testes have shrunk up so much that they are almost non-existed and have totally retracted up inside if me.

So what would an Orchiectomy do for me that is not already done with Spiro?

My testes don't hang down, they are not visible whatsoever,they don't effect me wearing a swimsuit, and I certainly can't sit on them or be hurt from them by accident and they are not in the way -- their hidden up inside me.

To me it NOW comes down to having an Orchiectomy with the risks that might occur and long recovery or taking Spiro (which to me seems a lot safer and does wonders for my blood pressure).

Am I missing any other benefits?
    Last edited by Traci Elizabeth; 10-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Coda...
    Dr. Bowers addresses this on her site. And while she isn't the be-all source of information, I think it makes sense what she says for those headed for SRS/GRS...

"(MTF) I am considering having an orchiectomy for androgen supression
    but I really don't want to complicate my SRS surgery. What kinds of issues could having an orchiectomy before SRS, and are there ways to minimize the possible complications?

This is my most Frequently Asked Question these days, so I hope to answer it once and for all. I counsel against orchiectomy, as it drains money which could go towards SRS, unless this is your final destination (as it is for some individuals who, for health or personal reasons, never plan on SRS).
    There are no great risks to orchiectomy (such as shrinkage or scarring) as proposed by some surgeons. However, I find little advantage in doing this step as there are perfectly adequate testosterone blockers available in pill form (spironolactone or Proscar).

We've found spironolactone online for 0.50 cents / 100mG dose. At a typical pre-op dosage of 200mG/day, that is $30 per month. Even at a bargain basement $1000 for an outpatient orchiectomy (not recommended), the breakeven point is 3 YEARS. So unless you have some serious health issues that preclude taking testosterone blockers or are planning to have surgery 4-5 years down the road, an orchiectomy is going to cost you more money than simply taking the meds and saving your money. (27Jan04)"

Even though my hormone levels were at natal female levels before my Orchi I noticed marked increase in the rate of feminization after the surgery.
    Also, for 10% of the cost of SRS in the USA you can qualify for complete gender and I.D. change in a lot of states. Plus if the Orchi is done correctly
    SRS later is not an issue according to Bowers.
    Cara

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Dr. Bowers addresses this on her site. And while she isn't the be-all source of information, I think it makes sense what she says for those headed for SRS/GRS...

"(MTF) I am considering having an orchiectomy for androgen supression
    but I really don't want to complicate my SRS surgery. What kinds of issues could having an orchiectomy before SRS, and are there ways to minimize the possible complications?

This is my most Frequently Asked Question these days, so I hope to answer it once and for all. I counsel against orchiectomy, as it drains money which could go towards SRS, unless this is your final destination (as it is for some individuals who, for health or personal reasons, never plan on SRS).
    There are no great risks to orchiectomy (such as shrinkage or scarring) as proposed by some surgeons. However, I find little advantage in doing this step as there are perfectly adequate testosterone blockers available in pill form (spironolactone or Proscar).

We've found spironolactone online for 0.50 cents / 100mG dose. At a typical pre-op dosage of 200mG/day, that is $30 per month. Even at a bargain basement $1000 for an outpatient orchiectomy (not recommended), the breakeven point is 3 YEARS. So unless you have some serious health issues that preclude taking testosterone blockers or are planning to have surgery 4-5 years down the road, an orchiectomy is going to cost you more money than simply taking the meds and saving your money. (27Jan04)"
    That opinion is from a post from seven years ago I believe her opinion has moved away from that position. Dr. Bowers did my Orchi in Mar 2011 and even though she was aware that SRS was in my plans she was fully supportive and didn't counsel me otherwise. Currently SRS with her is $22.5K, she did my Orchi for $3K. I rather spend the $19K savings on FFS which I need more of the two surgeries.
    Cara

Coda...
    Again this advice is for those headed for SRS...Orchi as a final destination is a completely different question...

So you would be $3,000 closer to FFS or SRS with some patience...

And it's not a post, it's on her current site content...if she honestly felt differently she would change it...

Finally you mention a savings of $19,000.

"...Dr. Bowers did my Orchi in Mar 2011 and even though she was aware that SRS was in my plans she was fully supportive and didn't counsel me otherwise. Currently SRS with her is $22.5K, she did my Orchi for $3K. I rather spend the $19K savings on FFS which I need more of the two surgeries.
    Cara..."

This implies that you do not have plans for SRS which is again, a different question than whether or not there are benefits for a patient to undergo Orchi that also plans on having SRS...
    Last edited by Zenith; 10-09-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    Orchi= the married TS persons common ave. Orcie is a cop out to remain married because the man parts are still there.

I had an orchi about 1 1/2 years ago, and i dont regret it one second (except for not getting it done sooner). If there was a financial way to get the full surgery done, I might have waited but reallity is its not gonna happen any time soon. They are gone, good riddence, so long, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    Orchi= the married TS persons common ave. Orcie is a cop out to remain married because the man parts are still there.
    Kate, my choice is/was to send my kids to college or SRS...........................................

Which would you pick????? For me it is easy...............College!!!

To say "a cop out" without knowing everything that is involved in such a personal decision is not only rude, it is so wrong in more ways that can be simply described in any response.

But if you are a woman your going to do what it takes to be a woman now aren't you. An orchie leaves you a man without testicles. Women don't have penises.

Also sending your kids to college is nice but they are adults and can actually take care of themselves not cant they?

Quote Originally Posted by natasha View Post
    Kate, my choice is/was to send my kids to college or SRS...........................................

Which would you pick????? For me it is easy...............College!!!

To say "a cop out" without knowing everything that is involved in such a personal decision is not only rude, it is so wrong in more ways that can be simply described in any response.
    Last edited by Katesback; 10-09-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Coda...
    God I hate to agree with Kate, but looking at the avatar... ATV + Riding Mower (Cub Cadet it looks like) + Orchi = very close to the cost of SRS in Thailand...

Cant tell you how many trans people I have met that claim not to have money for surgery but drive nice cars, have tons of money in this that or the other thing. Basically they are really just dreamers because lets face it only a very small few really are serious and go on to have srs.

Finally look at the avitar. Looks a lot like a cross dresser pic now doesn't it?

God I hate to agree with Kate, but looking at the avatar... ATV + Riding Mower (Cub Cadet it looks like) + Orchi = very close to the cost of SRS in Thailand...
    Last edited by Katesback; 10-09-2011 at 09:12 PM.

[QUOTE=Katesback;2620792] Women don't have penises. [QUOTE]

They ALSO don't have a prostrate gland or an Adams apple or male pattern baldness, or a brow ridge, large palms, and a host of other physical differences. SO I guess if you want to rest your laurels on facts, then you are not a woman either.
    Now are you!

I already have had some of those fixed and the rest if they could be addressed I would be saving for those fixes.

[QUOTE=Traci Elizabeth;2620843][QUOTE=Katesback;2620792] Women don't have penises.

They ALSO don't have a prostrate gland or an Adams apple or male pattern baldness, or a brow ridge, large palms, and a host of other physical differences. SO I guess if you want to rest your laurels on facts, then you are not a woman either.
    Now are you!

[QUOTE=Katesback;2620846]I already have had some of those fixed and the rest if they could be addressed I would be saving for those fixes.

[QUOTE=Traci Elizabeth;2620843]
    Women don't have penises.

Ah but you can't and you can't change your skeleton either - so you are no more or less of a woman than the gal with the penis.

Even though I am looking for SRS with Dr. C in 2012, I still think that those women who have medical, financial, or other personal issues for not having SRS are every bit as much a woman as any one of us are.

Coda...
    I really don't want to get snippy here. Having just an Orchi and stopping due to medical is fine. Not having the resources and having to wait for SRS is fine too. And deciding all you want is Orchi is your decision to make. But saying you are a classic Harry Benjamin transsexual wanting SRS while your actions don't match your words strikes many of us as being disingenious...
    Last edited by Zenith; 10-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.

I really don't want to get snippy here. Having just an Orchi and stopping due to medical is fine. Not having the resources and having to wait for SRS is fine too. And deciding all you want is Orchi is your decision to make. But saying you are a classic Harry Benjamin transsexual wanting SRS while your actions don't match your words strikes many of us as being disingenious...
    My actions of scheduling SRS in 2012 for myself is my personal choice and in no way reflects on those women who don't have SRS for one reason or another.

What I find disingenuous is when when gals with SRS proclaim that other gals with penises are NOT women as in Kate's remarks.
    Last edited by Traci Elizabeth; 10-09-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by Traci Elizabeth View Post
    My actions of scheduling SRS in 2012 for myself is my personal choice and in no way reflects on those women who don't have SRS for one reason or another.

What I find disingenuous is when when gals with SRS proclaim that other gals with penises are NOT women as in Kate's remarks.
    Of course it's arrogant to say transexuals that still have penises are not women. But those who WANT to keep their penises are by definition not transsexuals nor women. You can't have it both ways this requires sacrifice...
    Last edited by Zenith; 10-09-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Well as ya wish I suppose. And if you wish to say that no matter what one does they are never a woman makes you fit in really well in this forum. Probably make you a very good activist as well.

[QUOTE=Traci Elizabeth;2620858][QUOTE=Katesback;2620846]I already have had some of those fixed and the rest if they could be addressed I would be saving for those fixes.

Ah but you can't and you can't change your skeleton either - so you are no more or less of a woman than the gal with the penis.

Even though I am looking for SRS with Dr. C in 2012, I still think that those women who have medical, financial, or other personal issues for not having SRS are every bit as much a woman as any one of us are.
    Last edited by Katesback; 10-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Of course it's arrogant to say transexuals that still have penises are not women. But those who WANT to keep their penises are by definition not transsexuals nor women. You can't have it both ways this requires sacrifice...
    So where you a woman before your recent SRS?

I will have to disagree with you on this issue. You yourself stated that there are medical, physical, and financial reasons why a gal on here would not get SRS but as I have claimed, that still does not make them any less of a woman.

With your logic, all of us who have changed our names legally, got a DL, Passports, Social Security, and even birth certificates with "female" on them, we still are not females by your standards. And even those of us who have full grown female breasts, dead center in the female hormone ranges, and have had other physical changes to bring out our own beauty, you say we are still not women.

I see this with a lot of gals who have gotten their SRS and they think that no one else can now claim womanhood without it.

I guess part of SRS Standard Operating surgery procedures these days are the removal of one's compassion, understanding, and acceptance of others.
    Last edited by Traci Elizabeth; 10-09-2011 at 10:41 PM.

saying you are a classic Harry Benjamin transsexual wanting SRS while your actions don't match your words strikes many of us as being disingenious...
    Here is the Benjamin scale which does not contain the word "classic" I left out the "transvestitism" part of the scale. The transsexual part of the scale starts at type"4" and indicates that these people do not require surgery but do need hormones. not until type "6" does it say surgery is "urgently requested" so even a type "5" though "requested" may forego SRS for one reason or another.

WOW! according to this I fit the type "6" high intensity! the best. I guess I'm young since I desire relations with a "normal male as a female"

Type Four: Transsexual (Nonsurgical)[2]
    Gender Feeling: Undecided. Wavering between TV and TS. [2]
    Dressing Habits and Social Life: Dresses as often as possible with insufficient relief of his gender discomfort. May live as a man or woman; sometimes alternating.[2]
    Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Libido often low. Asexual or auto-erotic. Could be bisexual. Could also be married and have children. [2]
    Kinsey Scale: 1-4 [2]
    Conversion Operation: Attractive but not requested or attraction not admitted. [2]
    Estrogen Medication: Needed for comfort and emotional balance. [2]
    Psychotherapy: Only as guidance; otherwise refused or unsuccessful. [2]
    Remarks: Social life dependent upon circumstances. [2]

Type Five: True Transsexual (moderate intensity)[2]
    Gender Feeling: Feminine (trapped in male body) [2]
    Dressing Habits and Social Life: Lives and works as woman if possible. Insufficient relief from dressing. [2]
    Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Libido low. Asexual auto-erotic, or passive homosexual activity. May have been married and have children.[2]
    Kinsey Scale: 4-6 [2]
    Conversion Operation: Requested and usually indicated. [2]
    Estrogen Medication: Needed as substitute for or preliminary to operation. [2]
    Psychotherapy: Rejected. Useless as to cure. Permissive psychological guidance. [2]
    Remarks: Operation hoped for and worked for. Often attained. [2]

Type Six: True Transsexual (high intensity)[2]
    Gender Feeling: Feminine. Total psycho-sexual inversion. [2]
    Dressing Habits and Social Life: May live and work as a woman. Dressing gives insufficient relief. Gender discomfort intense. [2]
    Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Intensely desires relations with normal male as female if young. May have been married and have [2]**children, by using fantasies in intercourse.[2]
    Kinsey Scale: 6 [2]
    Conversion Operation: Urgently requested and usually attained. Indicated[2].
    Estrogen Medication: Required for partial relief. [2]
    Psychotherapy: Psychological guidance or psychotherapy for symptomatic relief only.[2]
    Remarks: Despises his male sex organs. Danger of suicide or self-mutilation, if too long frustrated.[2]

Type seven: Truer Than True Transsexual (higher than high intensity)
    Gender Feeling: More Feminine than YOU! total psycho!
    Dressing Habits and Social Life: frumpy doesn't need to prove femininity by dressing nicely! only relief; pointing out to other lesser transsexuals how much more transsexuallier she is than them.
    Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: well it would be men but she is such a bitch she can't get one. may have been married and had kids. GOD do we feel sorry for them!
    Kinsey Scale Off the freaking charts
    Conversion operation: Does it her self in basement with duct tape and a Dremal. Indicated.
    Estrogen Medication: So bitchy naturally she doesn't actually need it.
    Psychotherapy: Desperately needed however rejected as she already knows everything.
    Remarks: self operation in basement a success, back to truck driving and gun shooting in no time!
    Last edited by Aprilrain; 10-09-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Coda...
    Are you even reading what you quoted? I wrote that you can't say transexuals that still have penises are not women. But how can you say you are gender dysphoric when you WANT to keep one of the biggest determinents of gender that is entirely fixable?

Silver Member
    Short of winning the loto I am probably going for an orch simply so I can get an F on my id. Seems like a damn good reason to me.

SRS is not financially in the picture for a long time.

What a load of BS

As I have said before SRS changes you. It technically is the beginning of a whole new transition. If you have not had srs then you cannot know. I thought I was all woman before srs but a wise ts told me shortly before srs that it will all change after surgery. Of couse like so many pre girls I did not believe her. I was wrong. Now days I can look back with the wisdom of knowing and say that prior to srs you have training wheels and fun. After it becomes a LOT more real.

By the way for just over 12000 dollars one can get srs by a well known and respected doctor in thailand. That price includes hotel and airfare. I am sorry but I cannot believe that srs is out of the relm of possibility of most people that REALLY want it.

So where you a woman before your recent SRS?

I will have to disagree with you on this issue. You yourself stated that there are medical, physical, and financial reasons why a gal on here would not get SRS but as I have claimed, that still does not make them any less of a woman.

With your logic, all of us who have changed our names legally, got a DL, Passports, Social Security, and even birth certificates with "female" on them, we still are not females by your standards. And even those of us who have full grown female breasts, dead center in the female hormone ranges, and have had other physical changes to bring out our own beauty, you say we are still not women.

I see this with a lot of gals who have gotten their SRS and they think that no one else can now claim womanhood without it.

I guess part of SRS Standard Operating surgery procedures these days are the removal of one's compassion, understanding, and acceptance of others.
    Last edited by Katesback; 10-09-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Coda...
    As I have said before SRS changes you. It technically is the beginning of a whole new transition. If you have not had srs then you cannot know. I thought I was all woman before srs but a wise ts told me shortly before srs that it will all change after surgery. Of couse like so many pre girls I did not believe her. I was wrong. Now days I can look back with the wisdom of knowing and say that prior to srs you have training wheels and fun. After it becomes a LOT more real.
    It IS a huge reality check. Trying to say that for either good or ill gets you shouted down here. I have been saying forever it's time to move on...maybe it is now...

All of these points of views/opinions are just that and we are all speaking for ourselves. Nevertheless, I grant all my sisters "Female" status regardless of the plumbing between their legs. I rest my case and we have gotten so far off the original topic/question and I am much to blame for that.