Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Self defence

Kelly I dont think any self defense training is always useful, though it is a good idea to take a course. But your experience just explodes in your face, the only thing I can possibly compare it to is a bar fight, it happens in the blink of an eye and when you're fighting for your life its a whole other experience, unless you've been through it before. The best you can do is not get careless like you described and be aware of your surroundings.

greetings future ninjas...

I forgot to share something...a website with some free text technical instruction that is actually done well.

There are many approaches to "self defense". Everybody has their own opinion regarding the best overall safety strategy,techniques,do's and do not's,importance, etc. Common sense goes a long way on most issues and logic suggests that any approach is better than relying on "luck", as many seem to.

I believe "self-defense" is one of those areas that fits into the "learning a few things well, instead of trying to become an expert" category", in most cases. That is the path I took with my daughter. (Taught her a few valuable techniques before the interest went south, then hope she dates a football player, lol)

There are lots of places around the net offering some text instructions. Most are pretty lame or bait to lure you into spending money. But there are still a few around where you can pick up some good instruction for free. Here is one of the best I have found. It is a teen site but the information is universal...
    for what it is worth...here ya' go...

http://www.bodyteen.com/sd.html

I do think "courses" have value if you have the discipline & money. Have fun with yours, Shelly

So put on your skin tight leotards and red capes and let's not allow those malevolent messengers of malfeasance get our panties in a bunch...

Last edited by eluuzion; 10-12-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used to be a college wrestling coach. If the MMA gad been around I would have been in it. That being said I have never had a physical confrontation. Knowing that you can protect yourself gives you a lot of confidence, with that confidence you can project an attitude that will help you avoid confrontations. It is always better to walk away.

Now if it is unavoidable, a random attack, you know that can protect yourself.
    Dana Fleming

Junior Member Sophiewouldbenice's Avatar
    I did Karate for many years and I am practicingTaekwondo since 4 years - I would say just a course will probably not help and only give you a wrong feeling of savety. Your body has to learn movements and reactions by repeating them again and again, and for self-defence you even have to train fighting with different opponents and often. I wonder, if I would win a fight on the street and even then I would not be sure if I would go to far. Besides fighting in high heels and a narrow dress gives you some disadvantages. Also having all your belongings in a purse and not in your trouser pockets give you somehow the need or the desire to hold it while fighting ^^, so also not good.

Don't know about your attitude, if you are nice, gentle and so on it may be not the best to train this. I mean getting hurt is part of the training, otherwise I would be surprised if the training has any effect on a street fight.