Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing intimidates women?

Crossdressing intimidates women?

I've expressed my desire to be look like a girl before, but it’s always met with a...lukewarm response. It feels like the only way I could make some women (and possibly my best friend) I know totally happy about my cross-dressing is for me to someone look "worse" than them normally. I'm sorry, but if I want to look like a woman then I will shave my legs and practice my makeup, or do whatever it takes.

My best friend in particular is a girl and suffers from bad self confidence issues about her body, mostly because her family has a large control over her life. She imagines that she's ugly (not true at all!) and not at all girly (which is true, but its also the opposite of what everyone seems to tell her to be :/) and in her own words I do make her feel "awkward" sometimes when she sees me dressed up, and she usually dresses in jeans and hoodies.

Of course, she's my best friend because she…is, not because she’s a girl, and I...don't crossdress just to make someone feel uncomfortable, but what can I do to make a girl in particular feel as if I'm not "taking their privaleges away"?

Basically take an interest in them personally Hon. Then the ice will thaw and you can talk girl talk.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

the happy camper
    You can't control how other people react. If you're a good friend, that should be enough, but everyone's got their own issues. If she really can't handle that side of you, then you may have to put up a wall between her and that part of your life.

I may be wrong but i think there was a thread about this subject posted before. Personally i cannot think of a reason how i could ever intimidate a real female

Sadly, I agree with sophie, there might not be anything that can be done. My most recent ex and I had the same problem as your friend. As my girlfriend she wanted to help me explore my 'hobby' of sorts but at the same time it made her uncomfortable which made it less desirable for me. She mentioned it made her insecurities worse, and said that it bothered her that I played the part better than she did. In the end nothing I could do or say made it easier for her. If you're lucky over time your friend will grow used to it and it won't make her feel awkward. For me it was the opposite, the more comfortable I became the more threatened she was. Also, it's not a privilege as much as self expression. You have the same rights to use make up/clothing/etc as anyone else does. It's a choice to use it.

My wife had the same insecurities and it is a tough barrier to break. Keep being a good friend and hope she comes aound.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    My best friend in particular is a girl and suffers from bad self confidence issues about her body, mostly because her family has a large control over her life.

Of course, she's my best friend because she…is, not because she’s a girl, and I...don't crossdress just to make someone feel uncomfortable, but what can I do to make a girl in particular feel as if I'm not "taking their privaleges away"?
    I'm no expert in diplomacy, but perhaps encouraging her to find a way to stop her family from controlling her so much will help both of you. This isn't about taking privileges away. It's telling your friend it's OK to disagree with other family members. If there are repercussions from her family over this, that says something about them, not your friend.

If I had a friend like her, I would ask her to go shopping together, and get her into some nice clothes, and compliment her on her new looks. Maybe that way you can boost her self image and her confidance. Maybe even get her to do some trial makeup if you have a place that offers a smple makeover. Get her feeling "girley" because that us what it is about, and then she should see what a bit of effort can do, and begin to appreciate what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    It feels like the only way I could make some women (and possibly my best friend) I know totally happy about my cross-dressing is for me to someone look "worse" than them normally. I'm sorry, but if I want to look like a woman then I will shave my legs and practice my makeup, or do whatever it takes.
    With all due respect, it could be that you're projecting your own attitudes or fears onto your friend. I know of no GGs who feel threatened by the CDing, even though frequently GGs will say things like, "Oh, I'm so jealous of your legs, or weight, or clothes, etc". The thing is, GGs say that about other GGs who are skinnier or have nicer legs or clothes than they do.

Unfortunately, women from a young age are pelted with an impossibly high standard of ideal feminine beauty by the media, and it all begins with the unrealistic body proportions of the Barbie doll. I know it sounds silly, but when you're a woman and you have less than the ideal body, and you compare yourself to the constant barrage of magazine covers, ads, actresses on TV and in the movies, models, etc ... this is a very strong message that is difficult to ignore. There is no way that men are subjected to anything remotely close to this.

My point is, that if your GG friend has a poor body image, it likely has nothing to do with you and you should not take responsibility for it. She may feel unhappy with herself that a guy can look better than she does if he is skinnier (but this is not you, it is her unrealistic expectations based on the media ideal), so what I tell such women who come here, is to imagine themselves putting as much effort into their makeup, clothes, grooming, hair, corsets, bust enhancements, beautiful clothes, etc, and then stand side by side with the CD in front of a mirror and make a comparison.

This usually takes care of it.

Edit I've read my post again and it comes off as being a little brusque. I apologize for this. I want to make clear that CDs can be beautiful too. I'm not saying there's no way a CD will ever compare with a GG if we level out the playing field. I'm saying that both can be beautiful, just with different styles and looks. It doesn't have to be a competition.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Reine, I can now say I've been here long enough ...

Lea

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Unfortunately, women from a young age are pelted with an impossibly high standard of ideal feminine beauty by the media, and it all begins with the unrealistic body proportions of the Barbie doll. I know it sounds silly, but when you're a woman and you have less than the ideal body, and you compare yourself to the constant barrage of magazine covers, ads, actresses on TV and in the movies, models, etc ... this is a very strong message that is difficult to ignore. There is no way that men are subjected to anything remotely close to this.
    That's similar what I was going to say ... but coming from you it sounds so much better!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Previously GraceAnne
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki A. View Post
    My wife had the same insecurities and it is a tough barrier to break. Keep being a good friend and hope she comes aound.
    I had body insecurities, as well. My husband just kept being the caring and 'sensitive to my feelings' husband he has always been. That's what was needed. Maybe its discomfort, instead of intimidation. The two are different, but are often interchaged for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    Reine, I can now say I've been here long enough ...

Lea
    ... yes, now you have.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    Having encountered many women in the real world while en femme, I can say that not one yet has been intimidated by me. I know that many women have insecurities about the way they look - but thats something internal to them. Whether its my wife or a GG friend, a female co-worker , I'd like to think its incumbent upon me, as it is with each of us as humans (gender stuff aside) to be sensitive and considerate of others issues and insecurities.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 10-11-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: complete thought

ReineD how do you do this all the time, you have such an eye for this.

Reine said it best there. Your friend is projecting her insecurities via you, and you need to build on that relationship by helping her improve her self image. Just by being sensitive to her feelings and discussing them (when she's ready) you can go a long way in being a good friend to her.

OK here is my 2 cents worth.. (and that maybe over valuing my advice You should try to look your best especially if that makes you happy. Maybe there is a way you can make her feel better about herself. Perhaps you could both go out and get a makeover or if thats too much maybe just a mani/pedi.. It may not be easy to try and get her to feel a little better about herself but I would almost bet that a kind gesture would not go unnoticed.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

I agree with the rest, as usual listen to Reine! But Reine, men do have a similar thing going on, not as bad, I agree, but similar. I was a skinny kid, and no matter what I tried, I was never going to have 6 pack abs, or be a football hero, so I read books and became a radical instead.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I think it is pretty common for females to feel that way. However, you need to not let it impact your desire to look good. When your friend makes a comparison to you, what you should do is laugh at her... for example, 'your legs look better than mine!' ...laugh and say don't be rediculous, there is no way my skinny legs could ever compate with yours!...and just shake your head and say...sometimes I think you are nuts... gets her thinking that it is crazy for her to be so insecure. The other thing you can do is use it to your advantage...go get a makeover for both of you and she will surely look the best!
    Chickie

Well, since she is not ugly and is average or above, this means she's got some potential. As weird as it sounds, maybe you could teach her some things, how to take care of herself. Maybe start off by inviting her over to your place and give her a complete makeover (I assume from what I've read so far that you've got some experience with makeup and cosmetics in general). She'll look pretty and you should tell her that and insist, start to boost her confidence a little. Oh yeah, you should take her shopping for nice feminine clothes first, where YOU get to decide what she gets! You know, nice flimsy sexy dresses, high heels, accessories etc. She'll love you for that and she'll get over her insecurities and consequently her "problem" with you being more girly and pretty and dressed up. That's two birds with one catch.

P.S. I've met a girl just like the one you describe. For a few girls, femininity doesn't come naturally. So, this is something that someone's got to help her acquire! Luckily, though you're not a girl, you've got that femininity in you (just like me) so you should be that someone who teaches her how to be, look, behave and walk like a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    But Reine, men do have a similar thing going on, not as bad, I agree, but similar.
    Sure, I can see where a guy might feel bad if he's not as muscular or perhaps as tall as the next guy. But I have a feeling that men (generally) get over this more easily than women. They focus on or develop other aspects of themselves, maybe. I think it's accurate to say that generally, women are more insecure about their looks than men. This is a broad statement, but traditionally, women have been sought after for their looks whereas men have been prized for their accomplishments ... although this is changing slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by heel_addict View Post
    For a few girls, femininity doesn't come naturally.
    I think you're using the wrong term. Femininity is natural to women since, well, we're born female. You're referring to a desire to conform to society's construct (mostly informed by the media), of an idealized femininity that can only be achieved by adorning oneself. Not all women fall for this, but it doesn't mean they are not feminine.

I think it is more accurate to say that for a few girls (I'd say more than a few ... I'm one of them ), the desire to achieve a certain level of adornment is not a priority, like it is for many CDs.
    Reine

I'm sorry you view your friendship as a contest.

When my s/o and I go out sometimes she may be cute to my beautiful and sometimes I may be the cute to her beautiful , but it's never a contest.

What has led you to believe she is jealous ?

Presh GG

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I think you're using the wrong term. Femininity is natural to women since, well, we're born female. You're referring to a desire to conform to society's construct (mostly informed by the media), of an idealized femininity that can only be achieved by adorning oneself. Not all women fall for this, but it doesn't mean they are not feminine.

I think it is more accurate to say that for a few girls (I'd say more than a few ... I'm one of them ), the desire to achieve a certain level of adornment is not a priority, like it is for many CDs.
    When I say "femininity" I mean how closely a certain female resembles the "ideal female" in pretty much everything she does. The way she looks, the way she walks or moves or talks or laughs or looks at you. Characteristics that have come to be tagged as "lady-like". So, from my point of view, no, not all women have a natural femininity. I've come across many women that move or talk or walk like a man or at least in a more masculine than feminine way. I wouldn't call these gals feminine, just because they were born females.

P.S. I think you just give a different meaning to the word "femininity", hence the difference in our opinions, isn't it so?

Aspiring Member
    I think Reine has hit the nail on the head here. Men can hardly imagine the impact on someone's confidence of this bombardment of perfect female images (courtesy of Photoshop and the airbrush). Woemn often highlight imperfections in themselves that men do not notice (how many men complain about their partner's cellulite or her big bum?). When a man puts on a dress and looks in the mirror he has none of this mental baggage, so we cross-dressers are effectively cherry picking aspects of womanliness. Because we can. I have had women look at me and say "That's not fair" and (like many men) I have better legs than many women. Big deal - it is all image, and women are so much more than this. I have a friend who is absolutely lovely but she gets distressed about her weight and how she looks, and I get distressed that she get so upset about this, because she not only looks fabulous, the woman she is, is fabulous. A man crossdressed as a woman is still a man - even if the illusion is impressive it is still an illlusion. The real thing need not be intimidated by an imitation version, and I am sure they are not.
    Last edited by susan54; 10-12-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heel_addict View Post
    So, from my point of view, no, not all women have a natural femininity. I've come across many women that move or talk or walk like a man or at least in a more masculine than feminine way. I wouldn't call these gals feminine, just because they were born females.
    It is true, there is a wide range of feminine or masculine energy within each gender. Some women will have more angular features, and a more compact build than others for example, while some men will not have square jaws and well chiseled faces compared to their friends. But, if you compare a masculine-energy female (as she compares to a girly-girl type), to a feminine-energy male (as he compares to a he-man type), the female will still be more feminine than the male. In other words, you will know which is the female and which is the male.

This is why I have difficulty with the concept that some women are not feminine. They are feminine compared to men, even if they are less feminine than the girly-girl types. Generally speaking.
    Reine