Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A first - shopping with my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    True to form though, I have a rather pragmatic question. Is your wife improving with her attitude? I thought she didn't want to know too much about the CDing. She's OK that you're doing things with your daughter dressed? Are things looking up?
    Good questions, Reine, I forgot to ask them myself.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genifer Teal View Post
    Especially that you did not apologize for a long post.
    Gen, I guess I realized after seeing the comments on my posts or Freddy's posts that those that wanted to read such a lengthy post would, and those that did not wouldn't. So, enough apologizing. I write for my amusement, anyway. If they happen to get anything out of it, everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DaphneGrey View Post
    . . . just made my heart melt! And thats a hard thing to do or so it seems these days.
    Daphne, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you get back to a place of joy soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaphneGrey View Post
    . . . if I remember correctly your next post is going to be self deprecating and humble.
    Shucks! Little ol' me?

... be prepared to have a much bigger cash outlay in a few years, and spend a lot more time in the young teen stores, with fashions that will cause you to shake your head in dismay!
    OH, I know. She is 11 right now, but her favorite store (Justice) still has some clothes that make me shake my head - in both a "I can't believe parents will let their daughters wear some of this stuff" way, and a "No, you certainly can not try that on!" way.

Is your wife improving with her attitude?
    Reine, I'll take your 'pragmatism' any day, as long as it is tempered by your usual thoughtfulness, concern and kindness!

Yes, it is looking up. I'm not sure if it is my son's impending date with Army boot camp (and her desire to get along as a family while we still can), or just her realization that the world has not ended due to the fact that I like to wear something different now and then. Her attitude has been improving as of late. Last night, for instance, I was on the couch reading with my legs stretched out and my socks off. She sat next to me, noticed that my feet were hairless, and stroked them for awhile, smiling and shaking her head. Maybe she's finally realizing that I am still the man she married?

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Anita, what a wonderful thing to do. I'm sure that you felt that you weren't 'giving up' anything to be with your daughter. Instead, you and she were both richer for it, I'll bet.

I hope she was able to find a wonderful man and that she will be happy. I know that day is coming for me as well. Although not a gun owner presently, I'm open to purchasing one when my daughter gets closer to dating age.

Kathi
    Kathi, you should join D.A.D.D. (Dads against daughters dating).

Wow, what a cool story. I'd be afraid to dress in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaS View Post
    I'd be afraid to dress in Utah.
    Yes, Vegas does have a bit more of an 'anything goes' vibe to it, but Utah isn't exactly the repository of unacceptance that I thought it was. Almost universally - every experience and every person - has treated me with at worst snide dismissal, but at best rock star treatment. Most people treat me as they would any other person. I have never felt unsafe. I have never felt unwelcome. It really does wonders for the confidence level.

So, make your way up to Utah! We're not that far.

Kathi

that's amazing about you and your daughter. i think it makes the whole experience more honest and surely helps with your confidence. it is especially nice to see families that stay together. you certainly are a model for the rest of the world to show that we are all pretty much normal. your daughter is adorable, that cat is almost as big as her. lol
    keep on keeping on girl
    Last edited by cassandra54; 10-18-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    man, i feel like a woman

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra54 View Post
    . . . it is especially nice to see families that stay together.
    your daughter is adorable, that cat is almost as big as her.
    Well, the only source of friction in our marriage is me (sadly). As she seems to be doing better with it (for the time being, at least), I see smooth sailing for at least another 22 years.

Yes, my daughter does have the power to be adorable - when she chooses to be. Other times, she's a stubborn mule. As for the cat, yeah, we seem to do that to our animals. We have two gigantic cats, and a salamander that is so fat that you can't see his legs. Hmmmm, maybe we should cut down on the food a bit?

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    OH, I know. She is 11 right now, but her favorite store (Justice) still has some clothes that make me shake my head - in both a "I can't believe parents will let their daughters wear some of this stuff" way, and a "No, you certainly can not try that on!" way.
    Wait until she discovers Messr's Abercrombie & Fitch $$$!

I miss shopping with my much more grounded older daughter. Her and her girlfriends love vintage clothes and it was a lot more fun going to those stores than the teenybopper stores where the music is deafening and the clothes are way too revealing!

Debby

Quote Originally Posted by MissMarcie View Post
    - WTF are you thinking taking your daughter shopping while dressed and involving her in your CD-ing?
    She's thinking of being a good parent. Being honest in the first place to set up spending time together doing something they both love. If you are not honest with your kids, how can you even begin to expect they will be honest with you? Trying to keep my composure, but that tics me off that was said. I applaud people like Kathi for sharing their stories, inspiring people like me, who were struggling to see a future with what we struggle with every day. Thanks for the story Kathi, and I think it is a beautiful thing you have with your daughter.
    "If you think you can or can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Debglam View Post
    Wait until she discovers Messr's Abercrombie & Fitch $$$!
    My son worked there for a bit. He's always been a snappy dresser. People always compliment him on his clothes. The funny thing? They're my old clothes from the 80's! Skinny knit ties, my favorite silk, wool, and angora sweaters, my blazer, my shoes. Heck, it's a wonder that he doesn't steal my underwear! Still, even with the employee discount, their prices are a bit extreme. When we want cute clothes at a bargain price, we go to a local consignment shop and can find great bargains there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica86 View Post
    She's thinking of being a good parent. Being honest in the first place to set up spending time together doing something they both love.
    Thanks, Jessica. That's pretty much where I was going with it. Since my oldest found out by mistake, I wanted to make sure that my daughter knew pretty much from the outset. She knows that her dad is an odd doofus that loves her very, very much.

Kathi

Always love your stories, Kathi. This one is particularly great. Thanks for sharing.