Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature vs Nurture

Nature vs Nurture

Normal,abnormal or otherwise,we are who we are. But the intiguing aspect of all of this is WHY. Do you think you were born to crossdress no matter what happened to you as a child or adolescent? Or do you think these aspects of your identity that were created by your upbringing?
    I think in my case it was a combination of both,but am curious to hear others' stories.
    Got your mother in a whirl
    Cuz she's not sure if you're a boy or a girl...

I'm definitely in the nature camp. I wasn't exposed to any "nurturing" that led to my cross dressing. I just am that way. I read about a theory that transgenderism may be caused in utero, due to a hormonal deficiency. Whatever the case may be, I like my duality.

In my case it's supernatural. I am possessed by demons. In other words, the devil makes me do it.

Don't know and don't care. I prefer to let you that enjoying pondering this do all the worrying and wondering while I do my enjoying. Maybe when they come up with a definitive answer, I will pay attention. But I believe I will be in a place where everyone knows everything before that ever happens to me here on good old earth.

I don't crossdress...

I wear the clothing that matches my Gender, Androgynous, Both Masculine & Feminine at the same time.

As for why I am Androgynous, thats like asking, "why do I have green eyes?" or "why do I like candy corn?" it's just what I am, and what I like.

Sure, it could be something that happen in the womb, it could be because I AM XXY, it could be when I was 6 years old, I went head first into a curb and gutter almost killing me, your guess is as good as mine.

I was out and about once, face and head clean shaved, no make-up, guy shirt, short skirt, high heels, when someone asked me "What are you supposed to be?", without skipping a beat, I said "I am human, and I expect to be treated that way"
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Intertwined: XXY syndrome would definitely argue for a 'nature' origin,wouldn't it? But do XXY's have a greater tendency to do so? I'll have to research thaqt more.

ChristyJoyce: Haven't heard of a hormonal deficiency in utero,have heard the theory of a hormonal (estrogen) EXCESS,though.

Thanks so far for your replies.

DD

It's a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental influence. That's not a guess, that's modern psychology's explanation for most aspects of personality.

Vi:
    I don't doubt that it's multifactorial,but do wonder what proportions--50/50? 99/1????
    One reason I ask the question in the first place is that I had no urge to do anything 'feminine' until my late 20's. There was definitely no precipitating event,it just one day seemed like a good idea. At the same time,my gene set didn't change just because I hit a certain age.
    Maybe I think too much sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee D View Post
    Vi:
    I don't doubt that it's multifactorial,but do wonder what proportions--50/50? 99/1????
    One reason I ask the question in the first place is that I had no urge to do anything 'feminine' until my late 20's. There was definitely no precipitating event,it just one day seemed like a good idea. At the same time,my gene set didn't change just because I hit a certain age.
    Maybe I think too much sometimes!
    It's Molly btw...

And considering that what constitutes "crossdressing" and "feminine" are largely socially influenced I'd say genetics have little to do with it.

There was a very interesting program on Discovery or Science channel or one of those, that came up with a very interesting theory. The key difference between a boy and a girl is that the male has testosterone added during early pregnancy.

In a series of studies, they found that many women "flushed" the testosterone from the womb, resulting in gender ambiguity. The simplest test is the "finger test", the ring finger on a feminine woman or "flushed" male will be longer than the index finger. The trait is also reflected in brain development, in the development of the Limbic system as well as higher brain functions. Males have a larger and more developed limbic system which makes them more violent and defensive. A necessary trait in a species that evolved through centuries of warfare, hunting, and predators.

Women and flushed males have higher cognitive functions, probably developed by years of foraging, crafts, cooking, and making clothing.

Scientists following up on that research have found more "flushed" men in areas of high stress, such as urban areas, refugee camps, and other high stress environments.

They have also found that many women seem to have evolved more masculine tendencies. Even though they don't have X/Y chromosomes, they seem to have produced some amount of testosterone, and even though they are genetic women, have the indicators of testosterone in their early brain and body development.

In the same program, they suggested that 1 in 100 male children are born with birth "defects" ranging from unusually short penis to missing testicles (still up inside the body, much like overies). Many require surgical correction, and often this correction is done so discretely that even the parents may not be fully aware of it.

I'll have to go with nature. I think we're all predisposed in utero and crossdressers are hard wired to emulate the opposite gender just as gay people are hard wired to attract the same gender. This is just conjecture, as I have no actual knowledge aside from what I've read or heard.

Being raised with five sisters, I have always felt a sort of comfort zone in the presence of females so I believe my desire to crossdress evolved naturally. On the other hand, my only brother has never had the desire to emulate a woman.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Debbie: I looked into the digit length things. Very interesting stuff! I have,apparently,a ratio that is closer to female than male. Argument in favor of (prenatal) environment.
    Jilmac: Your case actually argues against nature,since the females made up the majority of your family and your brother,who shares plenty of DNA with you,doesn't CD. (PS:How bout them Brewers!)
    Molly!Sorry,didn't look close enough at your info.
    Then of course beclouding all this is the range of CD/trans--27/7 vs pre-surgical vs happy in the closet vs etc....

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I crossdress because I like to!! Started when I was 6 years old, wearing my older sisters panties. It just grew from there. Don't know if that is nature, nurture, or what!! And I don't care!!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Gold Member
    I once heard a story about it being the Water?????
    LOL
    Rader

I am leaning towards a embryonic hormonal imbalance like the flush theory. My ring finger is much longer than the index finger. Also remember being fascinated and attracted to women's undergarments (slips, girdles, hoseiery, panties. Anything silky that went on a female body) at a very young age.
    I was also attracted to girls at a very young age. Although the first girl I fell for my most vivid memory is of her red sparkle shoes.
    https://www.facebook.com/josee.k.moore
    On my way to being whole.
    Jessica Katherine Moore

Intertwined: XXY syndrome would definitely argue for a 'nature' origin,wouldn't it?
    DD
    It is a common symptom, but in my case, may not be a cause, my parents separated when I was 2, I was raised almost entirely by women, mom, aunts, grandmoms, and close female friends of mom, the only male influences in my life were drunks and wife beaters.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I'm in the "none of the above" camp. I think that both nature and nurture make certain choices easier, but ultimately free will is the determining factor. The fact that I was born female with male body parts has always been a powerful influence in my life, but I can ignore it if I want to. (I've proven that to myself.)

However, I have chosen not to ignore it. And yes, it was a free and deliberate choice. (one that I don't regret.)

Vancouver, Canada also know as Great White North
    I am not sure if i you could call it nature but, When i was five i pretend i was pregnant, i had dreams i was a girl, and one day when i was six found my mothers silk panties, why did i put them on? i don't know why but i can tell you l like it and have not been the same since.

The finger test may explain my crossdressing, never really looked into that scientifically, and it definately wasn't nurtured into me, very old world, women in kitchen men didn't enter or cook, clean any thing of the sort. But whatever the reason it's something I'm driven to do no matter how much I've suppressed the desire. My ring finger is definately longer than the index finger for what its worth.

ring finger is shorter but i still do not want to take my paintes off

Hi,

Voilet.

How then would you say if one is wired both male / female would that be inbuilt or a add on later as in nurture. tho wether your xy xxy or any combo is only a miner part of the whole . & with a mind set of both as in thinking both male & female at the same time . how then does that work.

...noeleena...

Quote Originally Posted by lady di View Post
    ring finger is shorter but i still do not want to take my paintes off
    That's OK. No one here is going to tell you to take them off. We just want to know where you got them! We accept all kinds of crossdressers here:-D
    Last edited by josee; 10-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Hmmmm.....nature or nurture. I can remember feeling that I was a girl as far back as I can remember. I know I had a dolly when I was young. My mother had me wear girl's underwear (panties and T-shirts) and sometimes lacy socks when my boy undies were 'dirty'. At 3 and 1/2 I was dressed in a very fancy, very girly dress that I was baptized in (I don't remember that but I have seen a few pictures). My mother used me as a dress model for some dresses that she supposedly made for a girl cousin. This was for the most part kept secret from my father but I still recall him calling me a 'sissy' many, many times. When I was in the fifth grade my mother encouraged me to dress like a girl for Halloween. My aunt dressed me in girl's clothes (top to bottom) when I got my boy clothes dirty. I was then paraded in front of my other cousins and made to stay dressed that way until evening. My aunt always was asking me questions about girl's clothes. I never really desired to dress up until I was challenged by some girls when I was in fifth grade to try wearing my Halloween costume without pants underneath. They offered a few other challenges to me also about dressing up. I could've said no but they all insisted and in private I took them up on it. I could've stopped CDing then but out of curiosity I tried on a combo of sis's clothes that sent me roaring over the edge. I was a confirmed CDer from that point on. With or without CDing I always felt like I was a girl.

Thanks to all for the responses. Part of the reason for my curiosity about this is that unlike what many are reporting,I recall no urges whatsoever during childhood and adolescence. Then one day I got the notion to wear something of my GF's and it was a lightning strike hitting someplace in my psyche that triggered a full blown change in my being. Now I can't imagine being any other way,and just trying to get some insight into myself...

one day I got the notion to wear something of my GF's and it was a lightning strike hitting someplace in my psyche that triggered a full blown change in my being. Now I can't imagine being any other way,and just trying to get some insight into myself...
    How old were you when you had your revelation? You may have been nurtured against your nature and then when you became more independent it surfaced.
    https://www.facebook.com/josee.k.moore
    On my way to being whole.
    Jessica Katherine Moore