Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about CDing makes you happy?

What about CDing makes you happy?

I am dating a crossdresser. We have been together for a year now and I found out about it about 3 months ago. I found out from seeing this website on his computer, so I joined and am trying to learn everything I can about crossdressing.

One of the things I would like to know is why people enjoy crossdressing? What about it makes them happy? What do you get out of it that you cannot get when dressed as a man?

My boyfriend cannot answer these questions yet. He is very confused and embarrassed about crossdressing and doesn't know what it means to him yet. He can't think of what about it makes him happy. He says he comes here to this forum to try to fit in, and even admits that he edits his posts several times before posting them to try to make them read like the style that most of you write in, in order to fit in. Do any of you do this as well

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate any comments/ advice.

Welcome to the forums Virginia. For quite a few of us it is a way for us to relax,and some do it for sexual reasons. For me it is for relaxation. There are a lot of very helpful posts in all of the different forums on here, here is a link to a very recent one that might be of help to you: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...+out+yesterday

Thanks Anna! .

Hi Virginia,

Welcome to the forum. This is a tough question to answer because I am still trying to figure it out myself after a lifetime of realising this aspect of me.

It works on so many different levels and you will get loads of different answers from people with different views.

My starter for ten is that the feeling of skirts, stockings/tights/pantyhose, high heels, even having false boobs strapped to your chest is just amazing! It is very hard to explain to someone who has the right to wear whatever they want, whenever they want, almost wherever they want... that there are some men who would die to be able to experience the feeling of a skirt blowing in the wind, the feeling as it catches some sheer hose, and the trip on the stilletos... there is a world to experience out there and being able to walk proud in clothes that feel good is an amazing experience. My usual Levi 501s and checky shirt... and boring mail undergarb... would a girl really want to wear this shit? OK the answer is yes... and that asks another question... it is okay for women to wear jeans and checky shirts and even mail underwear...(I know loads of young women who do for fun!)... but for me to wear stockings, skirt and high heels?...

So what am I saying... there is an issue about the feeling you get when wearing the clothes... I also associate with women more than men. They are more significant people. Men are generally neanderthals.. capable but stupid... when it comes to some politicians, I would question capable. But some of us are a little different. And it is amazing how many people here are extremely creative people.

Your boyfriend should just go for his style rather than trying to fit in... the best posts here are those that cause us to think about things. At the end of the day... we are here to both earn and also to teach/coach/advise... just pass on knowledge... I could talk about certain people I engage with frequently, but that wouldn't be right, or fair... your SO needs to find his own space...

What I would like to emphasise is that I am not gay (though some of us are and I have loads of gay friends so feel totally comfortable around this issue), I love my wife without question, I will always protect my family above all else, I am just a CD... It has taken me a lifetime to accept it and try to deal with it.. I just hope that others can do this less painfully... xx
    Last edited by Kaz; 10-12-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Everyone is different.
    For me, it's about expressing this side of me.......not all the time, just sometimes.
    When you think about how many things women do collectively: grow hair long, get pierced ears, shaved legs, the myriad of jewlery and accessories, dresses, skirts, pants, flats, heels, makeup, this, that, and we see women exploring various fashion choices each day while guys dress almost the same way every day......well some of us guys to experience what women do too!. BTW, did you ever enjoy a pedicure ore manicure?.....just asking.

And you factor in the fact that it's socially acceptable for women to wear pants, become CEO's, drive race cars, climb telephone poles to fix wires, fly helicopters on combat missions, etc.

Yeah, I have a pretty normal guy side: I restore old cars ( my 1957 Ford), I do carpentry, plumbing & electrical, and I like sports as much as the next guy, and my favorite thing is playing guitar. i'm just tired of social barriers.

And yes, I also have a strong femme identity, which I like to go out as the other gender once in a while. I don't do this to make a statement, I do this to be me.

I think there's always the perception that there's a sexual component, which is true for some, and that's fine, and not a bad thing. Testosterone does what it does.....The human imagination is what it is.

However some of us feel the need to part from the sexual , and embody a true femme self without the male libido involved for a short while.......and maybe for a few people, forever. It doesn't make us any less men (unless a guy want to transition into a woman), it just makes us more interesting.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 10-12-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Virginia, welcome to our family. Yes, we are like a family! I have been a crossdresser for 70 years. I dress simply because I like to! I have no desire to become a woman, I just like to dress like one. I had a dear wife, who fully accepted my crossdressing, for almost 50 years before cancer took her. Males who crossdress do so for many different reasons, and many of them, like your boyfriend, really don't know why they do! I started at age 6 wearing my sisters panties, and it grew from there. But I still don't know why I like to!! I just do!! That doesn't really answer your question, but maybe it cannot be answered!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Kaz, Thanks. I agree men should be able to experience those things (skirts blowing, panty hose etc.) if they so choose. What scared me about my boyfriend was that it seemed as though his entire personality changed when reading the posts and he really became someone else.

Thanks Nathalie, Yes I have gotten manicures and pedicures and they are great, and I think men should definitely experience them too if they want to, whether they are crossdressers or not! My boyfriend has assured me that it's not sexual for him either, which is a relief to me.

Thanks Stephanie. I've been wondering whether or not there is an answer to the question. Therapists have told my boyfriend and I that there may not be a reason why he does this, so I think maybe you are right. There may not be a reason for it.
    Last edited by Sandra; 10-13-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: merged posts, please use edit/mulitquotefunction as multiposting is not allowed

Dear Virginia,

Thanks for the post. Hope your boy friend understands how fortunate he is that you care enough to try and understand his dressing desires. I've been dressing since I was 8 or 9 years old and for as long as I can remember the experience of connecting with the fem side of my personhood connects me to a calmness and centerness I can't find elsewhere. While I don't need to or care to dress full time, the experience of wearing women's clothing and fashion items and the act of trying to act enfem is both fun, interesting and meaningful in a way I'm not sure I'd be able fully explain. It just is the way it is and at one time I too felt ashamed by it.

Today, I'm happily married yet my SO doesn't know and I haven't come out to her because I'm not sure she'd be able to reconcile it in her mind and I don't want to lose her or my kids. The interesting thing about that though is that if she were to ever find out, what's really changed? I'm still me. Now granted her perception of me and what she considers normal or acceptable from a gender role perspective would be rocked to it's core but in reality I'd still be me- the person she fell in love with, and who is doing a great job raising our kids with her in the best possible way we know how.

Bottom line, figuring out why may take a lifetime and you may never definately know for sure but hey you at least get to see things for what they truely are and as long as you retain your boundries and can express your needs relative to your guy's male role, I suspect you'll be able to make the right calls for yourself.

Hope this helps you in some way.

Amanda
    Last edited by cdtraveler; 10-12-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Nothing really. I don't do this to make me happy. I do this because I have to do this... Plain and simple. What would make me happy is if I didn't have to do it....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by virginia522 View Post
    One of the things I would like to know is why people enjoy crossdressing? What about it makes them happy? What do you get out of it that you cannot get when dressed as a man?

My boyfriend cannot answer these questions yet.
    Welcome Virginia. Many of us here wish we knew the answers. It varries from person to person. I'm compelled to explore this part of me...I find that "Diana" is a real person...with her own tastes and style...she has no real wish to dress in mens clothes. I think you'll find most of us here enjoy the "tactical feel" of womens wear. Now "why"...I wish I knew...but at 58 I have accepted "that I am who I am" and I love and embrace both parts of me and my wife does too!

For me it's the feel of the clothing on my skin, the look of my hands with nails on, the process of putting makeup on and making myself a little prettier, the struggle to walk in heels and having long blonde hair again. It softens me and helps me see another side of life.
    Hugs and Kisses,

Vanessa Jane

What about it makes me happy. Doing it does make me happy. I am not sure if I can point it out as one thing. It is more being able to express my female self as a hole. It builds up like a calling from inside and being able to dress up just makes me feel at ease and comfortable. I see myself as a man most of the time, but every once in a while there is a part of me that begs to dress as a woman and present as a woman. It is and has always been more than "just putting on clothes".

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nothing really. I don't do this to make me happy. I do this because I have to do this... Plain and simple. What would make me happy is if I didn't have to do it....
    Exactly.

Since coming completely out with my wife, I don't even feel the urgency about it that I once did. But it's there - all the time. I just feel more integrated than I once did. If there's a change, it's that I've allowed my inner personality to drift full-time into the TG zone where it naturally seems to center. Hopefully that makes sense. It describes how I feel more than how I think.

Lea
    Last edited by LeaP; 10-21-2011 at 12:12 PM.

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by virginia522 View Post
    My boyfriend has assured me that it's not sexual for him either, which is a relief to me.
    That's interesting. When I first told my wife, she thought that it was just sexual, and she was okay with that. When she discovered that it went deeper than that, the idea made her far more uncomfortable with it. She was worried at first that I was eventually going to want to transition.

I find it very hard, though, to answer the question of what makes me happy about crossdressing. I think it pushes a lot of different buttons for me, sexual, sensual, and psychological. I've been doing it for about 35 yrs--with a few long breaks mixed in--and I really don't have it sorted out.

When I was a teenager and in my twenties, it seemed primarily sexual. With so many ways to get off, though, why choose that one? Why would that do it for me more than anything else? I couldn't say at the time. Any other reasons for it were washed out by the intense sexual excitement. Now that the sexual thrill has waned a bit (not completely), I find that I still enjoy it, and those other reasons are easier to discern.

One is that I like to feel pretty. I don't have a clue what women find attractive in a guy. I mean, I can see it in male models, but I'm never going to look like that, so what would be their second choice? I just don't know, so I have never been able to consciously dress or act in a way that I thought women would find attractive. Dressing as a woman, I don't have that problem. I know exactly what I find attractive, so I can just dress like that, et voila, I'm sexy! It's just a really good feeling to look in the mirror, and say "Wow! I look good."

Another thing is that I've never liked the stereotypical macho attitudes and behaviors that men are supposed to exhibit. I've had to play the game in order to blend in, and keep myself from being a target of ridicule, but I've never liked it. Crossdressing helps pull me out of that state of mind. It makes me feel softer, more gentle, more patient.

In my late twenties, I started to notice how it could serve as a refuge. I would spend the day working with a bunch of construction workers, trying not to let anybody be more alpha than me, and I could feel all that testosterone just pushing my blood pressure through the roof. Then I would come home, put on something girly and all the tension would slowly ebb out of me.

From there we could talk about my dad, and what an asshole he could be, and how I idolized my mom, who is a saint, etc, etc.

It's all tied together in my brain in a sort of Gordian Knot.

Welcome to the forum!

I've wondered my entire life and searched my entire life for an answer as to why. I never did find one. The only thing I know for sure is that it is in fact a part of me, and does in fact make me happy. Eventually I gave up searching, and just accepted that part of me.

A lot of us, do have separate personalities when it comes to crossdressing too. I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe it's a defense mechanism for doing something that is often considered taboo, or maybe it's just an extension of the crossdressing, and taking on a role that is more "feminine" in the mind of the crossdresser.
    Last edited by JulieK1980; 10-12-2011 at 11:26 PM.

On Karrens comment I have to agree with her! This is who I am! BORN WITH? I think so! Just to be me helps me from going the rest of the way insane! So it's not a sexual thing with me neither! It's just me! Hugs to the both of you!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I have no idea.
    I do it because it is part of me, a necessity to make me feel complete. I am contented when I am dressed because I am me and true to be me. I will be happy when I no longer fear others per-conceived ideas on who I should be just because I do not fit their idea of who I should be. I do get excited though when I am shopping

The more I get to do it the happier I become. I like most started out as a sexual fantasy but it has grown into more of just who I think I am. I almost hate my everyday work clothes, comes from being in them for 16 hrs a day but that is life, and to clean up and turn into this beautiful lady is so relaxing and fullilling at the same time. Best wishes on your journey together. P.S. I proof read my messages to but mostly for spelling.lol

Hi Virginia, great to have you on the forum asking questions

CDing makes me happy because I feel relaxed, natural and just plain old at ease. I still don't know why i do this, but I do know that if I don't I'll go crazy. I just love the way a skirt / dress feels on me, and the amazing transformation make up and a wig can make.

Reading posts here and asking questions has taught me a lot about myself, hopefully you'll find out a lot about your boyfriend as well (my wife still scratching her head though, even after several visits here lol).

Tash

I'm another, that does not do it because it makes me happy, I do it because I'm driven to it, and become another person that I don't like if I don't. There are many here that will tell you that they just do it for the fun, but for most of us, we can't say why, I'm 67, and have been doing it for 60 years, and still can't say why, But I know, I can't stop doing it.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Lipstick Lez at heart! celtic.blue.eyes's Avatar

Answers from questions?

As you can see from all the previous posts, this is a tough one to answer. Even the shrinks with their 8 years of college can't explain it, and just try to deal with it instead.

People love to think in black and white. In this case its Male and Female. Males are this way, and Females are that way. It's nice and simple, but it's not reality. As in most things black and white, there are innumerable shades of gray in between. I would venture a guess that crossdressers fall somewhere in that gray area.

So maybe I can help you understand by answering your questions with some other questions that you may find a little more easy to relate to.

Q: Have you ever known a "Tomboy". Some like doing some boy things, others like doing a lot of boy things, and then some others you would swear are boys. They obviously fall into that gray area.
    A: I think that we are the male equivalent of the tomboy - it's just that a male version of a tomboy (a tomgirl?) has never been socially accepted. Being "tomgirls" and falling in that gray area makes a part of us lean to the female side to some degree.

Q: Have you ever gone clothes shopping, tried something on and you just couldn't wait to rip it off because it actually felt alien? Then on the other hand, you try something on and it just "clicks" because it's "you". It makes you feel pretty and special. The aesthetics of it just make you feel that you are in complete harmony with the world and it makes you smile on the inside as well as the outside.
    A: Since we are to some extent female, we get the same thrill. Can you imagine having to go to work in an employer supplied uniform that yo absolutely hate? That's what it's like for many of us every single day when we have to wear "drab" guy clothes.

Q: If you are getting ready for some special function, when you look in the mirror and see a pretty woman looking back at you, how do you feel? Don't you feel good about yourself, and maybe a little warm and dreamy inside?
    A: You have no idea how that appeals to our female side just as it does to you.

Q: How would you feel in you woke up on morning and you were hairy all over your body and were completely flat chested. No boobs whatsoever! Would you feel awkward and incomplete, and would you do anything to compensate for your loss?
    A: That's how many of us feel as well!

I hope this helps a little bit. I could think of more, but I'd rather not rattle on and on......
    God's finest work of art is that of a beautiful woman.

Hmmmmmmmmm I love the feeling of silk against my skin, the tightness and feel of nylon wrapped against my legs and butt. I enjoy starting out looking at a male in the mirror when I apply my makeup, then seeing a somewhat attractive woman when I finish. I love to look at Samantha in the full length mirror and turning to see my outfit from every angle. Oh, and lets not forget to mention the drive to a destination and feeling the breeze around your legs as your skirt flows in the soft breeze and the sound your high heels makes on the concrete. Ok, turned myself on gotta go. Hope that helped?

Virginia,
    Well you know the old story: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." That's pretty much the way I fell about my cross dressing. I genuinely like and respect women. I admire them. Not just the clothes they wear, but their whole way of being in the world. I have no desire to become one, but I sure like pretending sometimes.

I cannot explain it, but if you were to ask why, I think the answer is found in early childhood. I can remember as a very young child hearing women say, "Oh, he is too pretty to be a boy". Maybe it was my blond hair and angelic face. While still pre-school, my sister would conscript me too play house, which involved dressing me up and directing the family tea party with her as the Mom, my brother as the Dad, and me as her little girl. So maybe it was an acceptance of some kind which was fixed into my brain forever. I have tried various items on, and always felt some sort of comfort. Probably there are many motr who can think back to thins which happened in early childhood.

Banned Read only
    Welcome Virginia. I believe the desire to cross dress is something I was born with or developed a mind set for early on. My first adventure into wearing my mother's clothing had absolutely nothing to do with anything. Mom just hung her slips to dry in the bathroom and I decided to try them on. Fast forward to the teen years and cross dressing was a sexual expression and gratification of a horny teenage male. Once I learned there was some gratification to cross dressing, I became hooked. It would have been a lot easier if I became hooked on fishing. Fast forward several decades and I am now a mature cross dresser, who gets no sexual satisfaction from cross dressing. It bring me peace and tranquility from some of the male crap I had to endure and survive. When en femme Steve becomes Stephanie and does "womanly" things. There are some on this site, including I, who find relief from warfare induced PTSD by cross dressing. Frankly, if I (we) could understand why I (we) cross dress, then I (we) could decide to NOT be a cross dresser. Until then, I (we) can only develop self acceptance and toss off the yoke of self loathing. It took me a long time to accept myself, but, ultimately it should come to your BF.