Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girls,gurls or gurlz

Girls,gurls or gurlz

OK,so what are we ? Some forums use one spelling and others will use a varient.
    Does it even matter ? I like to think I'm one of the girls...although I did use the "gurl" title,but stopped some time ago .......

Paula.
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

Aspiring Member
    I have seen post using the gurls but I wasn't sure of the meaning or the origin. Girl seems to be informal as compared to woman in our world.

Kitty

I don't think it really means a great deal in the grand scheme of cressing.

I used to use "gurl" when I was new to the community, but I don't any more. It seems too fetishy sounding now.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    I really prefer girl to gurl...it sounds disingenuous...and a bit too cute for my taste...rather like "boi"

I dunno Hon, I prefer "Goddess" myself, bit I digress......
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

wiggle it, just a lil bit Julia Welch's Avatar
    How about "guys" ... I don't like to be called a girl, however it's spelt ... I'm a guy that enjoys wearing female attire, nothing more.
    Fun loving skirt wearer

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulacd1 View Post
    OK,so what are we ? Some forums use one spelling and others will use a varient.
    Does it even matter ? I like to think I'm one of the girls...although I did use the "gurl" title,but stopped some time ago .......

Paula.
    I believe gurl is supposed to be a combination of guy + girl. I got tired of making that distinction though.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Wales View Post
    How about "guys" ... I don't like to be called a girl, however it's spelt ... I'm a guy that enjoys wearing female attire, nothing more.
    Okay, Julia.

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Ah man, I thought we were gonna be talking about Motley Crüe.

I'm goin' stick with girl. That's how I was made, but then a creul switch happened in the womb and I cam out with male gender identifications..... I really don't use the word "guy" but I've heard many a GG say "guy" refering to her GG friends. So, I'm thinkin' that "guy" in generic while girl means girl.... at least for now...

Renne.....

I have to admit - my inner grammatical stickler just CRINGES whenever I read the terms 'Gurl' or 'Gurlz' - particularly when it's been oddly capitalized as GuRlz or some such. If you don't feel comfortable referring to yourself as a girl, how is it better to butcher the spelling? It's alright to say t-girl, transwoman, crossdresser, MTF, and so on... but to me, saying 'gurl' is almost as though the person doing it doesn't feel as though she deserves to be/be seen as a girl or a woman.

However, that is my own bias and as I am not a CDer or a transwoman perhaps my opinion is a bit off!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Question How will I recognize hur!?

I've met lots of girls. On this site, at CD events, and near my home. I've met lots of young girls, (mostly my daughter's friends), and I've met many GGs.

I don't think I've never met a gurl anywhere yet! But, I'm not sure what thuy look like?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I prefer "lady" to "girl."
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I'm with Eryn. I am no longer a teenager (by a lot), so Lady seems more appropriate than any spelling of girl. We can spend way too much time applying labels, but what matters is who we see ourselves as. Love yourself as a girl, boy, lady, gent, or whatever. Just enjoy being you.

Dee

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]Gee whiz, who really cares what were called. It's like those folks who insist on being called by their correct name rather than an accepted short form like Bob, or Chuck, or Rich, or Dick, or Mike. Hell I'd love to have one of those short, easy to say names, but I don't.

Anyway, I use girls for gg girls and gurls for CD girls for no other reason than to help clarify what I'm writing about. Sorry if you are offended by that. Get over it!
    [/SIZE]

Well put DeeDeeB;I agree;I'm a girl at heart,and a guy by birth. I couldn't be happier.

Paula.

Lynn Marie; Ah......nothing to get over nor am I offended hon, ????

Paula.
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

When I use "gals" it is clear I'm talking about TGs.
    For the GGs I say women

OK with that ?

Presh GG

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Gurls works for me.....agree with Lynn Marie...a nice way to differentiate.

I've been reprimanded in these pages for using the term "girl". The exact context escapes me but I was informed in no uncertain terms that it was an inappropriate term for an adult female in any context. I disagreed in pointing out that my wife often uses the word, girls night out is a perfect example. But context is important and out of respect for women, and the mod who took me to task, I don't use "girl" often (nor do I often use GG for a similar reason).

But personally, I eschew the term "gurl". As Reine said, it just seems fetish-y to me.
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 10-13-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Another label!! Who needs it? I am a guy, and I crossdress! Does that make me a girl, or gurl? I don't think so!! I am still the same guy!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I do not believe the term "gurl" applies to me. I very much prefer "girl."

To tell you the truth, I really don"t think it matters!! We know who we are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    [SIZE="4"]
    Anyway, I use girls for gg girls and gurls for CD girls for no other reason than to help clarify what I'm writing about. Sorry if you are offended by that. Get over it!
    [/SIZE]
    Why are you being so confrontational? There are 14 posts ahead of you. How many have said they were offended, or express any negative opinion about CDs who prefer to use "gurls"? Everyone is just posting their own preference, for themselves.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    I really wish I could *Like* or +1 Reine's posts.
    —Mikaela

I'd rather you call me Karren or hey you to some made up derogatory derivation of girl...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos