Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antidepressants and lack of desire to cross dress

Antidepressants and lack of desire to cross dress

Since going on Celexa (Citalopram) for the last year and a half I have had a decreased desire to cross dress. I have tried switching to a different antidepressant Wellbutrin but it provides only minimal relief from the depression. So I keep supplementing it with the Celexa.

In addition to the lack of desire to cross dress at higher doses of Celexa I would just not care, wouldn't be depressed but didn't care just kind of sat and vegetated.

Can't survive the lows anymore so have to keep taking an antidepressant but not happy with the way I feel when on it either.

Has anyone else experienced this and also can anyone suggest an antidepressant with fewer side effects (lack of drive, sexual dysfunction, etc. )

Thanks

I have had some of the side effects while taking the generic form of prozac.

I was on tofranil for a while , I had mixed feelings about it while I really liked the side effects of sexual dysfunction and it was very satisfying feel empty down there. I didn't liked the way it made me feel like an abnormal and artificial state of mind and happiness. It never killed my desire to dress or being fem, had to stop it because of the bladder problems. I still got a prescription for Lexapro but I've been delaying using it thought I feel I need to resume therapy again

The lack of sexual desire is the one side affect that I have been kinda of enjoying with prozac.

Ive been on escitalopram (cipralex) for 3 months and ever since the effects kicked in my urge to dress has plummeted. It was pretty low before due to the depression, but now I can't even be bothered to shave my body. Heck I only shave my face once a week and I hate having a hairy face.
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

Chewies sister-moulted!
    I had a period of using Sertraline .
    Please don't feel bad worry or question about the overall effects of whatever medication you have been perscribed . I too had many questions on why certain parts of my character had changed - but then I had missed out on the positiveness effects in comparisson . The anxiety had been removed , allowing a calmness to return . At first the effects were a little scarey , lethargic , sit and mong out stare . Looking back it makes perfect sense . I think in time as the need and requirement for such medicinal support dimineshes you'll be slowly taken off the medicine .... Its almost like waking up really ...but in short it just has helped change behavioural patterns and mood swings .
    Please , just be kind to yourself , let the stuff do its magic , and think of this perhaps ......
    Although winter maybe dark and long , under the snow , the frost is a beautiful flower waiting to emerge ......
    Believe me , its worth the wait . Be brave , congratulate yourself on every little task you complete .
    Good luck x

Very good advice Shelly.

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Hi Gina!

I have been on many different antidepressants: Like Prozac gave me night terrors, welbutrine is ok, have had some increase desires and others decrease desires, I have one that helps me fall asleep. If you feel Celexa is not working for you then see your doctor and explain what is going on. Everyone has different reactions to medication and if it is not working right then you need a different formula. I am on the disabled list due to a medication I was so allergic to it put me in this depressed state with high anxiety. It took eight months before the doctors would listen to me and find out what was wrong and another year before the meds were out of my system. My persistence is what got the job done you may have to the same.

Hugs
    Trisha

Shelly, thanks for the encouragement and the quote from the Rose was nice too

Hi Gina.
    If you are depressed and are on medication from the doctor keep taking the tablets.
    They will help and in the long term may well get you back on track.

If there are side affects that you do not like that are impacting on your health (poor sleep, rashes. hypertension etc ) then go back to your doctor and explain in as much detail as you can why you feel that they are not for you.
    Please do not confuse the lack of desire to be feminine (crossdressing) as a problem with the medication.
    I took Prozac for about 18 months and suffered from a lack of desire to do anything let alone cross dress.

When you feel you can cope you will know and will adjust your medication to suit.
    All the things that were normal to your way of life will gradually return as the medication leaves your system.
    Look to the positive side as much as you can (every cloud has a silver lining if you look for it ) and remember that there are many people here that know how you may feel.
    You will find lots of supporting friends here.

PJ

Philipa Jane

Hi Gina.
    Philipa Jane's advise is spot on!
    I went through a period of depression [about 18 months]
    My doctor put me on Citalopram [20mg] I found that this excellent drug helped me to feel much better and my desire to crossdress and my libido went back to normal after the drug had taken affect which was about 6 weeks.
    I suspect that your problem is not any side affect of the antidepressant but the depression itself.
    Its possible in your case that this antidepressant is not the one for you and you need to change to another or you need to increase the dosage.
    Please talk it over with your doctor.

All the best, SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 10-18-2011 at 02:22 AM.

I'm a physician, and prescribe anti-depressants fairly frequently. Decreased libido with the use of these meds is well documented, and sometimes improved by switching to another drug.
    If it is a real issue for you, you might consider a low dose testosterone patch along with the use of the antidepressant, and this very often boosts libido back up to normal levels (or even higher).
    However, some physicians don't like "polypharmacy" where a second drug is added to counter the side effects of the first drug.
    Discuss it with your physician, but don't be afraid of considering a second opinion from another doctor.

Chris

I was prescribed celexa a while ago after something happened. And coincidentally. I took one the very first time i decided to go shopping for womans things. Just made me super chilled out about it. I remember walking around with no
    Stress.
    I didnt take it for very long. But it certainly didnt inhibit my desire

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_G View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this and also can anyone suggest an antidepressant with fewer side effects (lack of drive, sexual dysfunction, etc. )

Thanks
    Get a dog and walk it regularly. Having a pet and exercise have been correlated with increased serotonin levels.

No drug should be taken before the entire list of "side effects" has been studied. I bet "decresed desire to persue happiness" is not on the list. Celexa is a problem drug. One of it's side effects is an increased desire to commit suicide. I cannot think how, with that as a risk, this drug is supposed to be considered a "cure" for depression; In fact the thought of suicide is, in itself, quite depressing. I used to sell health foods and vitamins. I have seen drugs with a "possible side effect" called "death". A better alternative is to do what many real women do--quit thinking bad thoughts, and go shopping-- a proven cure for feeling low.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyn View Post
    A better alternative is to do what many real women do--quit thinking bad thoughts, and go shopping-- a proven cure for feeling low.
    Proven? As in, like, peer-reviewed studies? That advice is akin to saying "walk it off" to a broken leg. Getting over depression takes a lot more than "Just don't be sad, lol"

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellyn View Post
    No drug should be taken before the entire list of "side effects" has been studied. I bet "decresed desire to persue happiness" is not on the list. Celexa is a problem drug. One of it's side effects is an increased desire to commit suicide. I cannot think how, with that as a risk, this drug is supposed to be considered a "cure" for depression; In fact the thought of suicide is, in itself, quite depressing. I used to sell health foods and vitamins. I have seen drugs with a "possible side effect" called "death". A better alternative is to do what many real women do--quit thinking bad thoughts, and go shopping-- a proven cure for feeling low.
    I've been on Celexa for about four weeks now and it is most definitely helping. I feel calmer, I don't have the deep lows I had before, I have more energy, and I feel like I am starting to get some order back. I've had a number of side effects including dizziness, swooning, dry mouth, extreme lethargy, and inability to fall asleep or sleep well. Most of those side effects have gone away or diminished considerably and taking the med at night rather than in the morning has helped.

The med has *not* affected my transgender identity or feelings in any way, other than giving me more clarity to deal with these issues amongst others. In fact, I have openly discussed my TG issues in depression group therapy (with mostly non-GLBT attendees) and have been attending sessions as a woman for several weeks now. I have found this has really helped me to feel better about myself and to more easily communicate my identity issues with others. The group has been nothing less than incredibly supportive and I have made a number of friends who just accept me for who I am.

Anti-depressants treat a symptom but not a root cause, and they are never a replacement for clinical therapy. As was once explained to me by a clinician, anti-depressants (most especially in younger people) can give you the willpower to act on what you couldn't do before. It's the depression causing the suicidal thoughts, not the drug.

Were it just so easy to "quit thinking bad thoughts", we all would have done so years ago. For people who don't experience depression, it's evidently easy to be dismissive of a condition that affects millions of people. Would you want someone to tell you that you should just make yourself stop crossdressing, and that you can do so any time you want? Ridiculous.
    Last edited by RachelOKC; 10-18-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added a few thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by RachelOKC View Post

Anti-depressants treat a symptom but not a root cause, and they are never a replacement for clinical therapy. As was once explained to me by a clinician, anti-depressants (most especially in younger people) can give you the willpower to act on what you couldn't do before. It's the depression causing the suicidal thoughts, not the drug.
    Depending on who you ask, that's not entirely true. No two therapists are the same, but the more scientifically-minded ones (as opposed to the spiritual-type ones) would tell you what the root cause of depression is (serotonin imbalance) and that antidepressants target exactly that. As for "clinical therapy", it depends on what kind you're referring to, but just talking about it won't fix anything.

After being involuntaily demoted by my employer and subsequently dumped, I started on Welbutrin... That went fine but tended to numb my brain a bit. Then I started thinkin'. I'm home all day alone, what could I do that would brighten my day? Then I remembered Renne. Hadn't seen her in over 15 years. Now I see her every day that I'm home alone. She spends way too much time with the makeup and then a few minutes on the bay store for some new outfit and then it's out to the real world to try to find some place to fit in and do stuff.

Really gets the endorphins kickin'.

After Renne came back, I dumped the drugs and just dress, shop and go out around town. Best time of my life. Having a blast..

However, what works for one doesn't mean it'll work for others but that's my story...

Renne.....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VioletJourney View Post
    Get a dog and walk it regularly. Having a pet and exercise have been correlated with increased serotonin levels.
    Don't have any dogs will have to make do with my four cats !

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I'm a physician, and prescribe anti-depressants fairly frequently. Decreased libido with the use of these meds is well documented, and sometimes improved by switching to another drug.
    If it is a real issue for you, you might consider a low dose testosterone patch along with the use of the antidepressant, and this very often boosts libido back up to normal levels (or even higher).
    However, some physicians don't like "polypharmacy" where a second drug is added to counter the side effects of the first drug.
    Discuss it with your physician, but don't be afraid of considering a second opinion from another doctor.

Chris
    Chris I am on androgel and numerous other meds. Pretty happy with my GP as she is open to my suggestions and seems to really care. Even puts up with my constant questioning of her treatments and meds. The welbutrin is supposed to counteract the sexual side effects of Celexa. It seems to be working just doesn't help as much with the depression.

To everyone thanks for all the good thoughts and I appreciate the advice given. I think what it comes down to is that the antidepressants can only help so much. I have a lot of issues to think through, not just the crossdressing. I am working on accepting myself and loving me for what I am. That's the underlying problem and it will take time to correct.

Again thanks for the suggestions and concern you have shown.

Gina
    Last edited by Gina_G; 10-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Wow, I was treated for Bi-Polar Disorder, and I finally told my Doctor I didn't care how much better it made me feel, I want off of them. Now I'm back to dressing again, and I care about what is going on, and I actually got my sexual desires back. I've been told that I'm a bitch, but rather be a bitch than be smashed into not caring about anything on them drugs. I was on Zanax. Previously I was on Lorazepam. yuck! Glad my Dr allowed me to remove them from my diet. At least my desires and drive came back.

Eve
    Trudy Evonne Monroe

I can promise you this: beauty - comes from the inside not the exterior surface. Beauty is not something you put-on...it's something you bring out. Many sisters get so caught up in trying to improve their appearance that they fail to enjoy the pleasure of becoming beautiful. ¨Renee Reyes¨

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    After being involuntaily demoted by my employer and subsequently dumped, I started on Welbutrin... That went fine but tended to numb my brain a bit. Then I started thinkin'. I'm home all day alone, what could I do that would brighten my day? Then I remembered Renne. Hadn't seen her in over 15 years. Now I see her every day that I'm home alone. She spends way too much time with the makeup and then a few minutes on the bay store for some new outfit and then it's out to the real world to try to find some place to fit in and do stuff.

Really gets the endorphins kickin'.

After Renne came back, I dumped the drugs and just dress, shop and go out around town. Best time of my life. Having a blast..

However, what works for one doesn't mean it'll work for others but that's my story...

Renne.....
    Well here's your problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    After being involuntaily demoted by my employer and subsequently dumped, I started on Welbutrin...
    Being sad because of horrible events in your life isn't exactly unhealthy now, is it? Antidepressants are intended for people whose brains are physically incapable of feeling happiness at appropriate times. Clinical bouts of depression aren't necessarily triggered by traumatic events, they just happen. I would go so far as to say it's incredibly unhealthy to try to feel happy during a demotion and a breakup.

my best advice is to seek out a psychopharmacologist. they do not prescribe like a doctor does as they take many other facets of your personality and chemical makeup into consideration and work with you, over a long term, to find the correct balance of ADs that will work for you. mine continually astounded me, weaning me off of the wellbutrin that i was taking when i first saw him. eventually, i was able to find a perfect blend and, when i was laid off and unable to afford either his visits or the medications, he helped wean me off of them altogether. each AD works differently with each person. a drug that is perfect for one may have very different effects on someone else.

many years ago, i was diagnosed with clinical depression and social anxiety disorder. my doc put me on prozac. it all but killed every part of me. he switched me to a different drug, and eventually i ended up on the wellbutrin. which was fine in some respects, but it killed my libido and raised my SAnD problems. working with my guy, with a careful mix (even down to the the brand) of celexa that i ended up with, i was able to return to a more balanced condition and function much better.

a further note - never just stop doing ADs. if anyone is thinking of stopping, it takes a period of time, so you should be working with someone to stop them. the side effects of stopping can be terrible and gave me more hospital visits than i care to remember.

but really, find a reputable person in your area (my guy is in NYC) and work with them. the celexa may not be right for you and there are many alternatives

I've been on citalopram for about 6 months now, aside from making me exhausted for a week or two as they entered my system, there's really no other side effects to report. It didn't affect my dressing at all, but that seems to have been a constant all through my life, not the ebbs and flows that some describe. In honesty, citalopram has been amazing for me. Hopefully you'll get sorted!
    x Flic x

Please completely ignore my comments if you like as I have never suffered depression and I have no clinical training in psychology.

I do however have training and experience in pharmacology and treatment of various non human behavioural disorders.

So this is what I can contribute:
    1. As has been pointed out, the various neurotransmitter modulating drugs (i.e. anti-depressants) have significant effects on brain chemistry and particularly when starting therapy and also if they are stopped abruptly there can be marked side effects as the brain tries to readjust to a new neurochemical reality.
    2. Because of 1. it is vital that any therapy you may wish to undertake be under the direction of a suitably trained medical practitioner.
    3. It is my understanding that particularly in the US, the use of generic and internet medications is significant. Whilst in some areas these appear to be OK, this is NOT one of them. There appear to be significant pharmacodynamic differences between even different generics of a particular drug. Again the advice of someone who understands these differences is very important.
    4. Certainly a majority of cases in the animal area require "behavioural" therapy as well as medication for a long term solution. This I would say is analogous to "therapy" in humans.

I don't really know if this helps. My personal opinion is that antidepressants are overprescribed and poorly explained with insufficient follow up. Unfortunately if our experience in this country (australia) is any guide then I would imagine access to suitably trained professionals (i.e. Psychiatrists) is both expensive and difficult.

I wish you luck Gina. There are many here who can and will offer you support and I hope that you can find the help and support you need.