Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Crossdressing on halloween common?

is Crossdressing on halloween common?

I haven't been here much (in US), so i don't know. Is it common to see "non-CDers" to corssdress on halloweeen? What is the public reaction to halloween cd'ing? I was about to about to try on a women's boots at halloween store but when i saw a office colleague walk in, I decided to come back later. Did I do the right thing or was it not such a big deal?
    Last edited by sara.s; 10-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.

There are always a few guys dressed as some type of female at any big Halloween party. I'd not say its common but not unheard of. I'd never thought about it until I joined this forum but forever more, I will assume any dressed man on Halloween is a crossdresser until I see obvious evidence to the contrary.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    If it had been a second-hand or thrift shop, then I think you might have got away with him/her seeing you trying something on that was so obviously a woman's item. Nobody would believe (or would have a hard time believing) that you would go to the expense of buying women's boots for the sole purpose of dressing as a woman for Hallowe'en.

I don't know how common it would be for non-CDers to dress as women for Hallowe'en, but I think if they did, they would generally not try to be 'authentic'. (i.e. wearing 'proper' women's things) and would likely try to dress as a caricature of a woman, in some over-the-top, outlandish garb that would scream "this is a costume and I want to make it clear than this is a GUY in a woman's dress!"

I think that those people would still wear their "tighty-whities" jockey shorts underneath, and nothing would really fit right, because they just threw it together from it being borrowed from their aunt/sister/wife/mother etc. Of course, a genuine CDer who would go out on Hallowe'en could probably arouse suspicion by being: (a) tucked (b) wearing "authentic female attire" such as actual women's bra and panties that were their size, stockings & garter belt or pantyhose worn properly, and (c) all clothing would actually fit properly. Shoes would be another giveaway, if you happened to have size 12 feet, and the ones you were wearing were fitting you properly. All of us here who are size 11-15 know how hard it is to find women's shoes that size in a thrift store - or anywhere!

Cross-dressing on Halloween... in public... without hassle...? I've never hear of such a thing - you're kidding right?

Platinum Member
    From what I've seen of males dressing as women on Halloween there are two classic types. There are the obvious clowns who are hairy, act gross and would do great in a beer commercial.

The others are dead giveaways as cross dressers. The first time I saw one was at my local Fred Meyer store. He had on a grey pencil skirt, white blouse, heels, wig and great makeup. He had absolutely no trouble walking in the heels. All the chatting cashiers had him pegged for a cross dresser because of his female deportment.

My first times outside the home en femme, when I intended to actually engage with people, was at Halloween. I dressed as a woman would dress with a lovely dress, stockings, heels, makeup and wig. I had on proper undergarments. I did not want to appear as a superhero or a witch. I wanted to express my inner femininity.

I believe there are exceptions to the rule. However, the only two other instances I've seen or heard of on Halloween cross dressing were initiated by wives or girlfriends. The guys went along with it because it pleased their SO's.

I think you did the right thing to abort your purchase. It is not wise to have rumors start about yourself. Based on your avitar I think you'd be in for some serious behind the back whispering. I think you'd look really cute. It's best to be able to control every part of your decision to go out en femme.

Coming back is a personal preferance! After all you know your colleague better than we! I personaly would of went forward with my plan! Afterall it is halloween! As far as non cders and dressing for halloween being common! I would say as common as apples on an apple tree! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I agree wholeheartedly with what Stephanie said. But I think it's quite common for both crossdressers and non-crossdressers to dress up on Halloween. I see one at nearly every party I go to. But like she said, it's easy to tell who's making a Halloween costume out of it and who's not. The non-CDers make a somewhat hideous characature out of it, and the CDers look way too pretty. I did this with my wife one year. She wore one of my suits and put on a moustache, and I did myself up.....a little too well, I guess. Looking back on it, I doubt I fooled anyone into thinking it was my first time in heels. Anymore, I don't use Halloween for an excuse to crossdress for two reasons. First, I think anyone would peg me for a crossdresser right off the bat. Second, this isn't some kind of Halloween costume for me; it's me expressing a very big and important part of who I am.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

very common, normally its the people you think that wouldn't normally do it would but who knows what they do in their privacy. I remember a few guys back in high school who pulled it and I was jealous that I wasted my opportunity.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

it's going to be common at my house. halloween lasts about two weeks right?
    man, i feel like a woman

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    From what I've seen of males dressing as women on Halloween there are two classic types. There are the obvious clowns who are hairy, act gross and would do great in a beer commercial.

The others are dead giveaways as cross dressers. The first time I saw one was at my local Fred Meyer store. He had on a grey pencil skirt, white blouse, heels, wig and great makeup. He had absolutely no trouble walking in the heels. All the chatting cashiers had him pegged for a cross dresser because of his female deportment..
    I agree with Stephanie, but will divide up "type 2". Going as a nicely dressed woman is indeed a dead give away, but there are great characters that happen to be female - cheerleaders, nurse, witch, etc and that's what I've done. Lot;s of fun in that middle ground. Good luck.
    Mary

Well I take my outfit a bit further on Halloween. Actually, in another thread I started, the thrift store in my area had a 50% off sale for anyone that shops in costume. I went as a tranny hooker from hell. I had on all the girly stuff plus I painted my face white with blood around my mouth. I spent 45minutes in the womens clothing area picking out more clothes and shoes. I didn't care if someone "made" me. 50% off is 50% off!!

Yes I agree with the "type 1" and "type 2" CD Halloween types! This actually happened to me years and years ago in a distant city during my college days. And it was a big city college too!!

I had been toying with the idea of dressing up for Halloween, going in drag for years and during this one year while being around other wild college students many of them mentioned they were going to do the "drag" bit same as I had been thinking of doing.

But once I showed up at the party all the guys in drag were "Campy" and doing a farse, whereas I sneaked into my "hobby" wardrobe and went that way. With clothes that were proper and in my size. Well I stuck out like a sore thumb--especially since most everyone looked me up and down to decide if I was a guy in drag or a really tall girl.

I had shaved my legs and wore proper lingerie under a vintage "Lucy" housedress I got at a thrift shop and I had done my makeup a bit too good and instead of a wig (I had long hair back then) I spent an hour with a curling iron and hair spray getting a reasonable Farrah Fawcett look.

I tried to blend in but it was hopeless and I became the subject of whispers and glares and smirks. Then one of my classmates grabbed at my skirt and swished it up to yup, reveal a chiffon petticoat, white lace trimmed full slip and sheer garter hose and a well tucked girdle briefer. Well, I was done then!

"Where did you get the clothes?" "Who did your hair?" "Who did your makeup?" And yup--"Where did you find such high heels!

I thought I would be fun to do, go all out and totally dressed and thinking that Halloween was a cross-dressers "free pass" for that one day a year I thought I would blend in but how wrong I was! I mentioned that a "neighbor lady" had lent me some of her old fashioned lingerie and had done my hair and makeup but it was way too late by then! I was busted!

I couldn't run out so I was forced to stay for a couple drinks and hang out. It was a miserable night and one that I spent months trying to live down. It was a stupid decision on my part and even though times have changed somewhat I recommend that if you are a CDer, you rent a pirate costume instead!

Thanks all for your comments. I still have a makeup appointment scheduled for Halloween day and i am going in male mode, hopefully I won't run into a colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    It was a stupid decision on my part and even though times have changed somewhat I recommend that if you are a CDer, you rent a pirate costume instead!
    I am going to a cd group halloween meet in cincinnati, so i really don't care!

Silver Member
    Halloween allows some of the closet cross dressers to make a public appearance for 1 night a year and then sweet memories and possibly photos to get us through the other 364 days. It is definitely the best holiday of the year.

I'd say it's common to see a handful of people each Halloween, but it's like maybe 1-2% of people. And, yes, I think 99% of those people are not doing it as a "joke," no matter what they say themselves. Closet-cases, completely. But, I'd only say that here, since I'm closeted myself...

Arrow Re: is Crossdressing on halloween common?

Even Lynn Johnston who inks the comic strip 'For Better Or Worse' had a strip as Mike dressing as a female for Halloween: http://www.gocomics.com/forbetterorforworse/2007/10/28

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I couldn't run out so I was forced to stay for a couple drinks and hang out. It was a miserable night and one that I spent months trying to live down. It was a stupid decision on my part and even though times have changed somewhat I recommend that if you are a CDer, you rent a pirate costume instead!
    This brings up something that I have been thinking about as Hallowe'en approaches. If many of us go out somewhere on the Night of Nights, are we going in costume? Well, a lot of us wouldn't be, because for us, wearing women's things isn't really a 'costume' is it? This is what we like to wear for most of the time in the privacy of our own house or when we're alone. Shiny, you technically were in a costume because you were dressed as a '60s' gal, and had on authentic lingerie and all the trimmings. But a good number of us will go out dressed very much the way we always dress. So, it's a way to be who we are, when it wouldn't matter if we get 'made' and we can use the excuse that we're dressed that way because it's Hallowe'en.

Crossdressing on halloween is more common than most people want to believe. The first time I dressed as a girl for a halloween party was at age 16 in 1961, and there were three other people there with the same idea. I've done everything from Pocahontas to Morticia Addams and had a real blast each time. This year I'm doing Cinderella. My dressing isn't limited to halloween though, I can dress any time I want and enjoy it whether it's halloween or not.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Aspiring Member
    If your costume is simply as a girl, I think it's a give away. I think it becomes a bit more ambiguous when your costume is a female character.
    —Mikaela

Platinum Member
    Guy and girls have been cross dressing on Halloween for as long as I can remember. I think its mostly a little Halloween kink, but of course some of us used it to go all out at least 1 day of the year.

Always been where men dress like women and women dress like $luts! Lol. At least arouind here.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Hi Sara

I’m 68 and I’ve been to my fair share of Halloween parties and at most of them there were men dressed en femme, some over the top and some campy, but most just en femme. At one was a school principle, at another a police officer, and I had the Chief of Police show up at one, not dressed en femme, but he insisted that my Wife and I (dressed en femme) accompany them out on the town. I even went to one party while I was in the Marines and some of the wives had dressed their husbands en femme; interesting morning the next day in the barracks as there were Marines who hadn’t been able to remove all of the makeup – seems the wives had decided beforehand to use long-lasting, staining lipstick.

Is it common? Well around here it seems to be. Have I ever has a negative experience? Not really, other than being chauffeured around town by the Chief of Police while he was obviously in his cups. Well there was the time I went to work dressed en femme on Halloween and at the afternoon party the Director came up and put his arm around me, which he slid up until it rested right under my breast and asked who I came with. My immediate boss came to my rescue and whispered in his ear that he was about to embarrass himself in front of everyone by making a pass at me (using my male name). Turned out great, I won first place for best costume and my Wife and I had a lovely dinner, including drinks, at a very upscale restaurant.
    Babs

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post
    Not really, other than being chauffeured around town by the Chief of Police while he was obviously in his cups.
    That is hilarious, Babs.
    —Mikaela

wow...now I know what I am going to do on Halloween...and probably the day before....and probably the day before that. Last time I dressed on Halloween, there were actually a couple people who didn't realize I was a guy. Alcohol is good. I have used the holiday as an excuse to wear tights and show my legs (one year was Robin Hood ((Sorry Tamara...I was emulating YOUR ancestor...not making fun)) and one year as a Roman). Won contests as being the most "Brave" man to dress like that.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

It is common, but not that common... a perfect situation. You can do the outrageous which is far too common and not all that creative. Don't do a straight female...unless you can pull off a nonchalant attitude and shrugg off any negative comments with a joke or two. The best option is to do a female character. Pick something, airline stewardess or such and do you best to get it right. Everyone will be impressed especially if you go for details. The most fun I have had is when you almost pass... people get a real kick out of it!... where you run in to difficulty is if you go overboard on the manerisms trying to fool everyone and using a really bad mickey mouse voice just annoys people... do it, have a positve attitude and just be honest about being a guy in a dress... repeat and tell eveyone else 'it is just a costume!'...expect some ribbiing, but join in the jokes and don't take it seriously...you will have a blast!
    Chickie