Thread: Yet Another CD Friendly Salon!

Silver Member

Talking Yet Another CD Friendly Salon!

Well yesterday I tried a new salon/dayspa and it was wonderful. Kendra met me with a big smile and a handshake, an offer of coffee/water and then led me to her chair. We chatted about what I wanted and I gave her full rein. She did a beautiful wavy 'do. The conversation was great and the other staff members and clients were pleasant and friendly. The GG next to me started talking to me about her new I-phone and technology.
    To the shy ones in the audience. if you desire to venture out but are gripped with fear please consider checking out salons in an area unlikely to be your haunt. I go daytimes when it is less busy and I have always felt secure and welcomed. If you want details or recommendation for NJ private message me.

Platinum Member
    What a great idea for those just venturing out. My experience in salons have been delightful too. Of course you can do a little research before hand to avoid the rare salon that might be less accepting.

Hi Sarah! I agree salons are a great place to go to lift your confidense! Rather it be a hair do or a waxing or what ever I always have a great enjoyable experiance! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Silver Member
    Hair salons are just about the most accepting places you can find as a newbie. Hairdressers are about the most accepting people you can find as a newbie.

Don't be afraid. They are both fun. Go for it.

Just walk in and ask for an appointment. You will be able to judge what kind of salon it is in 3D, rather than over the phone. If you don't like it, turn around and walk out. Easy.

S

Hey Sara, where in NJ was this? Sounds like you had a great time!

That sounds like so, so much fun. I wish I had the ability to pull it off where I live. One day I will give it a try in San Fran or somewhere fun.

Sara I know what you mean
    Being a "veteran" I have tried many salona in NJ
    Where I go now is great and all the girls are friendly
    where in Jersey are you I go to stores in both drab and dressed and just the ohter day a sa said she liked me better dressed

Silver Member
    Great advice from previous posts! Also consider bringing a picture of a hairstyle you'd like - providing your hair is long enough. As you gain confidence and trust in your hair styist (& yourself), ask about the other salon services you may enjoy!

Made of Sugar & Spice Kathleen Grace's Avatar
    OOH I hope is somewhere close to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you crossed Richard Gere with a little bit of Julie Andrews and a whole lot of Carol Burnett, that would probably be me.

Sara ive been going to JL in hissbourgh nj for nails and waxing Nadeens loves them there.

I would imagine the best way to find out if the salon is accepting is to do a bit of homework and call ahead of time and ask. I have done this now a couple times with a seamstress and although my heart races a bit while I'm on the phone I think it is better than getting rejected face to face. I have yet to try a hair or nail salon. I will have to one day

I have called and talked to upwards of a dozen hair and nail salons over the years to probe whether they would have a problem dealing with a CD. Only once, at a nail place, did I detect that there was any hesitation at all about working with me. It took about two minutes to find another salon that was more friendly, so hardly anything was lost by calling ahead. Once the basic question is out of the way, I always follow up as best I can about whether the salon does the services I'm interested in, and whether they have a stylist who is especially in tune with my needs and desired style. Unfortunately, this is kind of a hit or miss proposition because a lot of times you are talking to a receptionist who doesn't know that much about the actual beauty practices that their employees use, or sometimes you get to talk to the owner, who is anxious to sell you services and will sometimes promise more than they can deliver. But a phone call has always seemed to be a good first step, even though it's unlikely to be the last.

Most people in the beauty industry have no trouble working with us, and if you get lucky, you can probably find someone who is positively enthusiastic about it.

- Diane

Silver Member
    Hi All, sorry for the delay in replying but I got a bit busy. The most recent salon is in Kinnelon NJ off route 287. if you want more specifics send me a private email. As others have stated salons are most often very Cd friendly but each has their own atmosphere and staff. I love trying new places for variety and the salon I tried a week earlier was just OK. The stylist just talked about the troubles in her life. They new I wanted a roller set but when I arrived they didn't have rollers. Someone arrived late with them. We ddid it in perm rods which needless to say was a bit curly. Still not a bad place.

Why so secretive Sara? Just tell us where it is. I'm sure they would appreciate the extra business, especially in these economic times.
    We can always say Sara sent us ... maybe you'll get a finders fee ... or free styling or something.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Silver Member
    Just email me and I'll share. I have been shunned by some nice places with the explanation that they have had too many CD no shows in the past. I don't want that to happen to these truly CD friendly places I so enjoy. Cheryl, please share all the places you go to with the forum. Lead by example.