Thread: Reaction, Punishment, and (ultimately) Suppression

Silver Member

Reaction, Punishment, and (ultimately) Suppression

I thought I'd toss out a few of the things that produced negative reactions or even punishment when I was growing up - those that resulted in inculcating and enforcing the male role and ultimately in suppression of TG identity and expression. Just a sample, and I'd be interested in what you would add. Reactions could come from anyone, not just family. I can think of specific, swift corrections in many cases.

Emotion generally
    Facial expression
    Crying
    Laughing
    Singing
    Dancing
    Walk
    Hip motion
    Use/positioning of Hands
    Moving fingers while walking
    Clothing color
    Clothing selection
    Personal space
    Touching, same sex friends
    Touching, opposite sex friends
    Friendships with opposite sex
    Avocations and hobbies generally
    Involvement with music
    Interest in art
    Toy choices
    Book choices
    Movie choices
    Playing dress-Up
    Playing tea
    Playing with dolls
    Watching girls/women's TV
    Rejecting interest in football & baseball
    Bedroom decorating choices/desires
    Spending time with neighborhood moms

Lea

Excellant List Lea and I'm having difficulting coming up with other ideas for unacceptable behavior. I was bullied relentlessly as a child by my peers because I did not know how to surpress all those behaviors you listed . The adults may not bully you but they know how to leave you feeling worthless by the looks of disgust and all the other rejecting behavior they so cunningly use. Thank God I enjoyed my own company otherwise the loneliness would have been brutal.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Language choices, such as using the word "cute".
    Being interested in "Mom's chores" or being uninterested or put off by "Dad's chores or recreational choices"
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    Talking in a high pitched way... sometimes considered baby talk. I use it to befriend a pet showing sensitivity, empathy and gentleness.
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

Silver Member
    How quickly we forget!

Yes, I also got grief for pink - I remember in particular a hot pink cycling cap.
    Skipping - definitely. Got hammered for that one in grade school.
    Long hair - yup, nailed for that one all through high school by family.
    Language - ditto. A phrase like "That's so CUTE!" in a higher pitch will completely stop conversation in a group of boys.

And I echo the comments on looks vs. bullying. Disapproval, even subtle, is very powerful when repeated and reinforced over years.

Sarah, the chores brought back memories of ironing with my mother. I used to LOVE that, and always went with her to the "ironing lady's" place, too. I loved all the baskets of clean laundry. Hopefully that doesn't sound too odd. I lost that somewhere ... my wife would probably like to have it back again! And seriously, I might try rekinding the feeling. Thanks for the memories (shades of Bob Hope)!

Lea

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    Hopefully that doesn't sound too odd.
    Lea
    Darn it - and there's the fear, right there.

Lea