Thread: Part Time Job or volunteer work

Part Time Job or volunteer work

Hi

Well I'm a very PT crossdresser and have no desire to go full time or transition. And I like my "guy"(aka day) job. But I was thinking, if I passed well enough, it would be cool to have either a PT job or do some volunteer work as Tina. Maybe work at a LGBT center, or volunteer on a campaign. Maybe Christmas season help. Something where I could dress as a business woman, go to a job of some sort, and do something productive.

Now I'm not talking about just doing something for a day or two just for the experience and thrill of being dressed in some work environment. But something serious one would commit to, go to once or twice a week and truly be productive. Could last a few months, maybe longer.

Any thoughts? Has anyone done this?

Excellent idea!! I never thought of that, but it would be perfect!
    “They’re not women’s clothes. They’re my clothes. I bought them.” (Eddie Izzard)

Tina, in our area of the country I would think that you would have a good chance of getting a part time job dressed as a woman. Now, it will probably be a very low paying job, but it would be a job. Let us know how you do.

I work on the Board of Directors for my local Pride Center, help facilitate a couple of different support / social groups for the TG community. I participate in a Chamber of Commerce set up to cater to busninesses that work with the LGBT Community. I also have been meeting workforce and medical professionals in an effort to raise awarness and bring resources to the Co. Springs area. I spend about 20 - 25 hours a week doing this and have found it very rewarding and a great way to really understand myself and desires as far as presenting as a female (at least, as best I can). I am finding people to be great and working with me as an individual requesting their help and support. It is a great way to express myself more than I have been able to in the past.

Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

I am seriously planning on that exactly. When I retire (less than 3 years) I will plan on a job for Vicky either volunteer or some form of a part time job where I can dress up (business suit) and work in an office environment. I already do this about 3 times a month were I go to the local Marriott hotel and work remotely in their lobby area as Vicky. kind of like practice mode...

I think you really want to do something that you find rewarding though it cant be something beneath your capabilities otherwise you will get bored with it very quickly.
    Vicky from Michigan

That sounds like a great way of working and enjoying it too! Good luck! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I'm currently lookin for a job where I can dressmmmm I want to be full time female from now on.. have u thought ab cosmetology school, I am applying and will love doin womens nails hair and make up!

Staying power is the key to doing anything longer than 8 hours en femme in my opinion. This includes essentials such as eating, rest room use and how long beard shadow stays away for a few things. You have to be pretty convincing to pull off anything like that consistantly.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail Evans View Post
    Staying power is the key to doing anything longer than 8 hours en femme in my opinion. This includes essentials such as eating, rest room use and how long beard shadow stays away for a few things. You have to be pretty convincing to pull off anything like that consistantly.
    U got that right honey! I hate my beard shadow!

Some thrift stores use volunteer help--at least in my town. Perhaps that would suit your situation. And think of all those dresses, and shoes, and cute tops.

Platinum Member
    Obviously its hard to tell from an avatar, but you look pretty and sophisticated. This might be a great way to express yourself and help your community! There are a lot of organizations that could use volunteers at almost any level w/in the organization.

I would encourage you to volunteer at a local LGBT organization. They are always looking for volunteers and would be happy to see you.

I am on the board and treasurer of a local LGBT center. Most of the time when I go to board meetings or events with the center I go as Patti. It has been very rewarding do be able to this as Patti. I have found this to be a great way to express myself as Patti and at the same time help other people. My wife is also on the board so we are able to do this together.

Here is a link to the LGBT Center:
    http://www.grlgbt.org

Also a link to the Transgendered group at the Center:
    http://grtransgender.org/
    Last edited by patti.jean; 11-05-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    It's not about gender it's about fashion www.flickr.com/photos/9438546@N08/sets

This thread makes me so happy!!! Good for you; I'm proud of you! Definitely joining your LGBT center and seeing what is being done to help the public understand what CDing is and who CDs are would be great. So many people see one aspect of CDing from the media...it's often a joke. Helping public education on who CDs are would be amazing because so many CDs just aren't willing to do this for one reason or another.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I'll join the parade Tina - this is an excellent idea! I do a lot of volunteer work (not T related though) and people that step-up are what makes the real world work! Good for you and good luck!

Debby

I do occasional volunteer work for a non-profit, non-transgender specific group. It is usually helping with events such as working at registration or distributing items to the participants. The organizers know I'm transgendered, but they do not care about it. They are happy to have all of the volunteer help they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by VickyMI View Post
    I already do this about 3 times a month were I go to the local Marriott hotel and work remotely in their lobby area as Vicky. kind of like practice mode...

This is a great idea!