Thread: Meeting with a support group for first time-will be my first time out as well

Meeting with a support group for first time-will be my first time out as well

OK, next month I will be going out dressed up for the first time. It is a fairly safe trip out, I am going to be going to a LGTG support group so no need to fear being read by the average person on the street or anything like that. Still I can't help feeling jittery about the whole thing. This will be the first time anyone will be able to really judge me as Rebecca other than my wife (who is biased and wouldn't tell me bad things for fear of hurting my feelings). It will be my first time past the front or back door en femme. First time driving en femme. Every single thing that could go wrong or right I think I have run through my mind and I am trying to make sure I don't get cold feet about the whole thing.

Don't really know why I am posting about it, it is a month off after all. But I am a bit worked up about it right now and looking for some reassurance I guess.

Go for it hun, dont back out. I have been going to support meeting for 2 years now and the st time I went I was a little nervous too but trust me it was all worth it, I call these little baby steps toward my true idenity.

You can do it! Sounds like it will be a great experience for you. I only wish there were a support group within 100 miles of here, then I'd be going! Have fun, relax and just breath.

And don't forget to tell us all about it when you get back.

Hugs,
    Terri

Hey girl! You have nothing to fear! Keep smileing and be proud of who you are! You're gonna' do just fine! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Remember you will be with people that have gone through the same thing you are now, everyone has to have a first time, no matter what you want to do. Go for it!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Arrow Re: Meeting with a support group for first time-will be my first time out as well

Not to worry rebekkadg. I remember going to my first Tri-Ess meeting. My knees were weak could barely climb the stairs to the room the meeting was being held. Stood at the outside door, still apprehensive then knocked on the door. A member opened the door and she said, 'oh a new girl, what is your name?' I responded Janet. Then she let me in and announced me to the group gathered there. Everyone in unison 'Hi Janet'. I knew at that moment I was 'accepted'.

I went to a support group last month with my wife and i was dress in male mode we were both very jittery but everybody was very nice, going next weekend again and hope to be dress as Roxann and this will the frist time my wife will see me dress so talk about being jittery, but can't wait to go, we will all be find
    good luck
    Roxann

Hi Rebecca

I don’t know anything at all about your support group, but I joined one here in San Diego called Neutral Corner last in May. It is customary, but not a hard and fast rule, that new members attend their first meeting dressed in the clothes of their assigned at birth gender. I was a lot more comfortable and at ease going dressed as a male than I would have been dressed en femme. I didn’t dress en femme until my third meeting.

Our group meets in a private room at Coco’s Restaurant and that does require that members walk through the main dining area to get to the private room. Even though it was my third meeting I was nervous walking through the restaurant; now after several meeting I actually enjoy the experience, I have to admit that using the Women’s Room still gets the heart beating a little faster although the one time another woman was in the Women’s Room with me everything went smoothly.

You’re going to have a great time and your going to meet other people like yourself, probably something you have not been able to do before. Attending the meeting is not only a great way to meet new girls and make friends it also a good way to build up your confidence. Heck, in no time at all you may be shopping en femme and that is a real joy. I love shopping now, trying on clothes before I buy tem and knowing that they actually fit.

If it turns out that you really don’t feel that you can go to the meeting as Rebecca, go in drab, I’m sure the other members will understand. The first time out can be very scary, at 31 your still young and it took many of us a lot longer to get up the courage to walk out the door. But do go, even in drab, you’ll be glad you went and you’ll have a wonderful time and meet some great people.
    Babs

I hope that it is a very pleasant and memorable experience for you. I've visited our local support group a few times, and have immensely enjoyed it every time. I attended en femme each time, and was warmly welcomed.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Congratulations on your first step! I remember my first. The people were very accommodating and the information was quite helpful. Afterward, we went to Baker's Square, and not an isolated room. But it was late at night, people all looked very presentable, and there were no comments by the other restaurant patrons.

I'm sure we all think the worst. Be confident, and smile. If you need to, I'll bet you can dress there but it will be so much more fun if you go dressed.

Good luck!

-stephani