Thread: Valid reason for purge?

Valid reason for purge?

I have heard so many times that people regret after purging their female clothes. And I remember how bad it felt when I had to throw away my collection when I started my exchange studen year (that was many years ago). So I have avoided to throw away my female clothes unless they have been broken or not fitting to me. But now I have two big plastic bags waiting for dumping - about half of my fem clothes. And the reason is that that they are out of fashion. I guess that this is a valid reason for a purge???

They say to stay in fashion dump 10% of your closet wardrobe every year. I too perform minor purges. Lately they are for only two reasons. One, the dress/skirt/outfit looked great on the online model, not so great on me. Two, dumping the pounds. I've gone from a size 18 to a 12/14 and from a 38D to a 36DD and am working on gettin' smaller..... Time to go shopping again, I guess...

Renne.....

That is not purging you are just up dating your wardrobe, just remember much of what you are tossing will come back in Fashion.

If your closets are extremely full "purging" is good idea. GGs do it all the time but really this isn't technically purging.

Platinum Member
    Absolutely. I also have clothes that I know feel were unfortunate choices given my shape and personal style. They're going to the Goodwill. I wouldn't call it a purge - I'm just freeing up closet space!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaliese View Post
    That is not purging you are just up dating your wardrobe, just remember much of what you are tossing will come back in Fashion.
    I agree with you Annaliese, This is not purging. I once threw away, 5 dresses, 3 wigs on stands, many thigh highs, panties, bras, heels, all make up, skirts, blouses, everything I had back in '97. That was my only purge. It lasted 13 years. Not a trace of anything was left that was a reminder of what I was. Reasons for my purge back then was, guilt, shame, and fear. But will never do that again. I learned the lesson of purging and of the regrets that will come back and haunt you. I now wish I had all of those particulars back now.

L&R.............Tara

Every excuse is valid except guilt. Imho You have to do what you have to do and sometimes circumstance in your life make you loose things you love... Or need. But just feeling guilty about crossdressing isn't one of them.. All others may be valid. And no one should judge you poorly if you HAVE to purge..

Except me!! I just like judging people! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

You know Minna that a lot of us ladies love retro fashions!

Minna, instead of dumping them how about donating them to a worthy cause?

That's not purging per se, I'd call it wardrobe renewal! ;-)

I don't care about what's in fashion at a given time, I care about what looks good. Both in male and female mode. I have clothes older than me, still serving me well.

I have sent back a few things that didn't fit, and I have thrown away a few articles that turned out to be a mistake, though.

I often turn over the closet.
    I shop thrifts and ebay - many times find something I almost like.
    Then I find it new in a the right color or size so donate the first one back.

I also clean it for size and fit; most of my first stuff was either too frumpy or too tight and short.

I have had to get rid everything a few times and it wasn't good.

I'd say the only valid reason is if you are out of space. Old is new (vintage, retro fashion) in 20 years or so.

Out of fashion is ABSOLUTELY NOT a reason to throw perfectly good clothing away. Do not do that. IF anything donate them. This day and age throwing away ANYTHING that is useful should be a crime.

But to your original question, purging is also always reasonless, and should not be done.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Don't throw them out!!! Give them to either the Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or atlest a freind or family member. just pitching it is awfuly wastefull!!!!!

The only time I would validate a reason to purge would be if I won a lot of money. Then it would be SHOPPING TIME.

Gold Member
    true purging is trashing all your femme stuff in hopes of quitting CD'ing.
    To throw out all your femme stuff with the plan to replace it is not really purging.

But for legit reasons to do a true purge - if someone was just in a phase of CD'ing and truely decided to move on for no other reason than they got bored with being CD (it could happen i guess) then it would be legit or whatever.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

It's not a "purge" unless you are getting rid of everything because you don't intend to dress anymore. Every woman must weed her collection from time to time to eliminate things that are out of fashion, seldom used, or don't fit anymore, and make room in her closets for new stuff. This is what drives the entire fashion industry, and we must do our part to support it!

- Diane

Thanks for good comments! I think that most of the clothes that I am giving away are either not fitting perfect or they are not my style. I tend to have "anything goes" attitude when I initially started to collect clothes, but now I know better what I want. And I really don't need three black camis and five black trousers! And how about fifty bras? Maybe I can cut it down to as low as thirty :-). And propably some of my favourite items will stay to wait that they come back to fashion again!

It was also a good comment that I should give the clothes to goodwill. Or maybe I should try to find out a fellow CD in my area - I guess this donation would be lots of fun for someone.