Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Can I ask you something?"

"Can I ask you something?"

This is the question I was just asked, out of the blue, by a friend of mine, and a close girlfriend of my wife. My wife, friend, and I were sitting on my front porch, enjoying yet another wonderful, beautiful, fall day, and each other's company while our kids were playing. It just so happens that today was also an unseasonably warm day, so I was wearing shorts.

In response to the question, ever the hostess, of course I replied in the affirmative. With a curious smile on her face, my friend asked me why my legs were hairless, smoother than her own, and whether I shaved my legs.

First of all, I began epilating my legs in late August or so. There was plenty of shorts weather remaining at the time, and I have worn shorts every opportunity I have had. But nobody has really noticed or asked about it until now. This year I have deviated from previous years in that I had only shaved during non-shorts weather, always being careful to allow it to grow back in for the spring and summer.

I simply could not take it any longer this summer, though, and epilated it away. After first epilating and going out in public hairless, I was admittedly nervous. But I quickly became comfortable with it. In fact, having learned how easy it is, I will not go back to hair again regardless of season. If, however, I had been asked this same question a few months ago, I probably would have looked like a deer caught in the headlights, and like I was guilty of some heinous crime.

Now, after having come out to several friends lately, and having accepted myself for who and what I am, I was not nervous in the least, and did not hesitate for one moment - "I shave my legs sometimes, but I mostly epilate them." Had my wife been in mid-drink, she would have performed a classic spit-take. Bless her heart, she quickly attempted to come up with an excuse for me (thinking that I would be embarassed, and she wanted to "protect" me), but I politely cut her off, looked our friend in the eye, and said "I really enjoy shaving and epilating my legs." I then good-naturedly asked her how she thought my legs looked.

She was quite positive and complimentary about them, and wanted to know more about epilating. So we spent the next ten minutes or so talking about epilating and shaving. My friend even requested a demonstration, and to see the epilator. Again, ever the hostess, I was more than happy to comply with her request, and did so. Thereafter, she assured both my wife and I that she would be purchasing an epilator for herself soon . . . .

I very much enjoyed every moment of the conversation, and the freedom and peace of mind to effortlessly engage in such talk . . . .

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Great anecdote and I love the way you handled it without going into unnecessary detail about your motives.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    My biggest takeaway from this? Bless your wife for trying to protect you!

Kathi

You certainly have some interesting experiences my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

you are soooo funny Anne!

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago when you started a huge food fight around here about your beloved closet?

You got balls honey, and you're definitely a Bad Tranny. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

My Anne, how you have grown with yourself. Keep up the good work and you really did handle that situation way better than I might have. Thanks for sharing.

Our wives can be mother tigers protecting their cubs, can't they? I wouldn't have it any other way!

You handled the inquiry perfectly. "Because I like it" is the only excuse anyone needs and indulging her interest in the epilator deflected any further inquiries into your motives. You now have a closer friend!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Very nice story. You handled the situation very well.
    Dana Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago when you started a huge food fight around here about your beloved closet?
    Who? L'il ole me? Moi? Hmmmmmmm, I seem to recall writing something about my beloved closet. What was it again that I wrote?

LOL!!! So much for that, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Our wives can be mother tigers protecting their cubs, can't they? I wouldn't have it any other way!

The trouble with lies is you must tell so many to cover up the first one! The truth needs to be said only once and and it always receives positive results! I commend you for being truthful! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    NOT in the same category as YOUR beautiful handling of that situation, Anne, but I recently had a similar experience. Fortunately, I don't need to bother about body hair except on my face.

When I shaved it all off for the SCC last year, many folks noticed! I felt very uncomfortable making up a story when asked why by everyone!
    Of course, I shaved again for the SCC this year. But, when asked why, I was quite comfortable saying, "Because I felt like it!" End of conversation every time!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

the happy camper
    Great story, but she is so gonna hate you the first time she tries to use that epilator.

That was a cool and smooth way of handling it (blinking eyelids). I'm proud of your hostess capabilities and manners.

The way you handled it was perfect. During the summer the same question was asked of me. I basicallly just said that is how i liked it. The woman i was talking too left it at that. Heyall I can say it is almost a year come december and that was the only commit except the wife in her negative tones a few times.
    Life is too short not to be happy!

The older I get the more I learn to just be honest

Just last week at work one of the machinist asked me if i shaved my arms, I said no, just trimmed them. he asked why, I said that I don't like to look like a fur ball. He then asked why I didn't just shave them and I told him i hate the nubs when it grows back. And that was that.
    Susan

i think you handle it very nice and being honest makes it nicer. i find most people don't care about what you do and find it interesting.
    Great move
    good luck in the future

Nice one, Anne! I'd love to do this with my legs as well. My wife, however, would not likely be too happy about it. I clip them close with electric clippers, and keep the forest pretty thinned out. Baby steps, I guess. Perhaps I'll have them smooth as well one of these days.

I think you handled it quite well. See what hanging out here does to you?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Just a girly girl. Sweet Sabrina's Avatar
    Awesome story. The spit take would have been funny. But you might have had a little more explaining to do. I am so glad to hear that you have reached a brand new comfort zone.

Hugs
    Sabrina

Gold Member
    Awesome for you Anne! That is definitely showing a good comfort zone. But how is your wife? Did she really want to play it off or is she okay with this new openness? Maybe it is time for some of these?

good for you Anne, have your legs shaved is a wonderful feeling, i have my legs shaved for a year now, and don't miss the hair, i even went i am not dress wear dolfin short-shorts all the time, it is the brand wore by Hooters girls, and anyway it say u-sex on the ad for them. I have been wearing them when other men i work with show up, there has been some question asked, i just tell me i need to stay cooler in the heat, for you girls who have not shaved, your legs stay much much cooler wearing jeans in the hot summer air,it is sure nice of your SO trying to help you out.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

I never grew hair on my legs; as I recall my Dad was the same way. I've been asked about it several times during a long life, always by GGs and always out of envy. The weird thing is the women in my family were not so blessed.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Silver Member
    I began epilating my legs in late August or so. There was plenty of shorts weather remaining at the time, and I have worn shorts every opportunity I have had.
    Very different from a related thread asking about shaving for the cold weather. That seems so backwards!

A very nice story, well told.

Lea

Your thread reminds me of when my daughter asked me why I was hairless.
    I just said I don’t like hair on me and so I epilate. She left it at that.
    So like you Anne I have found it’s not a problem telling people about being hairless.
    A lessen for us all here I think.

And it does not mean that they will immediately construe from this that we crossdress.

SUZY

Sounded like how I would have handled it too. I don't mind telling people why I shave. Problem is nobody ever asks why I do...lol

Joanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be who you are...not who you think I want you to be