Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Men's Cut Better for WOMEN?

I'm fully convinced nursing school uniforms are designed to humiliate us. I fully look forward to burning mine in 24 days...... lol

Silver Member
    Polo shirts and chinos? This is so strange. I can't imagine it.

When I went to nursing school we wore white. White dress uniform, white hose, and white shoes. And we had to wear our caps in clinical.

I never wore that dress again, and I lost the cap immediately after graduation. I wore scrubs for the majority of my nursing career. Lately I have ditched the scrubs and now I wear "business casual" with a white lab coat. I love it.

S

Here is sympathetic hug, Shan. Thanks for sharing. If I were sick, I would push my call button quick if you were on my floor. I cannot understand why they would want to dress all their nursing students like FTM's. Is that to help the real FTMs to hide among you?

On the other hand I have read a few forced-feminization stories from years ago where the male nursing students were required to wear cute white dresses and stockings. Those were the days. Sigh.

I really regret that nurses no longer wear cute dresses white stockings and white crepe-soled shoes. I searched thrift stores a long time for my nurse dress. Got a pic or two, but lost the dress in a purge long ago.

I had a friend who was an engineer. MtoF. He(she) had surgery in Bankok and went to nursing school in Michigan; graduated at the top of her class. Was a little disappointed when she found out she had to wear white pants or green scrubs. I am guessing she works in a practice whre the white dresses are permitted by now.
    Last edited by JenniferR771; 11-13-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add

Stephanie, we still have the white dresses for clincals with white shoes and white hose. I feel like a tart in it. I opted for the white top with white pants. I'm not cathing a patient and "going fishing" in a dress. For health assessment lab and for community work, we wear the chinos and polos...we look like Walmart employees.

See, you can't make me happy. I'll just b*tch about everything

Can I just wear scrubs?
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Silver Member
    ...we look like Walmart employees.

OMG, that's SO funny.

Now, when I was in high school (1956) one of my closest GFs went to nursing school. The uniform she had to wear was awesome. A full navy skirt with a light blue and white striped blouse, covered with a white starched pinafore. White garter belt or girdle, white hose, white soft soled shoes, and the most gorgeous navy blue wool cape with a scarlet lining that you ever saw. And of course, a cap. She, and the other nursing students were required to fall out in uniform in front of the building within 10 minutes day or night. She told me that most girls slept in their uniforms because it took so long to get completely dressed.

I would kill for one of those wool capes today (no, not really).

S

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    ...we look like Walmart employees.

OMG, that's SO funny.

Now, when I was in high school (1956) one of my closest GFs went to nursing school. The uniform she had to wear was awesome. A full navy skirt with a light blue and white striped blouse, covered with a white starched pinafore. White garter belt or girdle, white hose, white soft soled shoes, and the most gorgeous navy blue wool cape with a scarlet lining that you ever saw. And of course, a cap. She, and the other nursing students were required to fall out in uniform in front of the building within 10 minutes day or night. She told me that most girls slept in their uniforms because it took so long to get completely dressed.

I would kill for one of those wool capes today (no, not really).

S
    Yep! There's an upper part of the nursing building that I am at that looks like a church (it has a gold domed ceiling), but has really old pictures of people hanging on the walls. We joke that this area is haunted and that you can see the old nursing students that killed themselves after a bad Foundations test walking the halls. They totally wore that little get-up that you describe.

I would be down with that outfit. I would mostly prefer scrubs. It could be argued that scrubs are unisex, but women's scrubs are designed for women. They look alright.

I had to wear my hell wardrobe today. I woke up late and I told my SO, "Well, they tell us to wear minimal makeup? How about no makeup? That's pretty minimal." He laughed. During class we had a little side not added that if we were makeup most days, we should do so for our patients.

Apparently I look REALLY HEINOUS in the uniform and no makeup.

We also got a class memo about our white uniforms that we could either get the white dress or the white shirt and pants. The guys in my class joked that they were getting the white dresses. I (jokingly) told them that this was a profession and not some sick way to act out on their naughty nurse fantasies. One of them chimed in and said that the only reason he joined was because we get out own gas masks in anesthesia school. I admitted I did it for the same reasons.

There are no gas masks given for us to wear in anesthesia school, btw. They actually dress exceedingly normal in that half of the building. It's just the rookie RN students that get to dress like a weird combo of Best Buy employees/Pat from SNL.

Kill me.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    EDIT: Also, I have figured clothes didn't matter that much. However, I can tell you that I have a complex every Monday that someone is going to think that I am a dude.
    I had two thoughts from your OP and this reply. One is that now you understand how unsettling it can be to have to dress in a manner society expects instead of the manner you prefer.

...So, clothes matter!...I don't like looking manly.
    The second thought is that often, neither do I!!!

You are being ordered to crossdress, society tells me I am not supposed to. It's uncomfortable, isn't it?

Anna

Totally with you Shan!

And the surgeons I always met hated to the silly hats and gowns...?

I work in academia... every now and again (well twice a year) I get to gown up, put on a silly hat and get my photo taken with students many times... just to make the point!

I have many photos of me looking very very silly... the good news is that isn't every day... but back to point you are making, I have to dress every day in a way that I hate...

I wear the male uniform. Conform... or else...
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Shananigans,

Heck with the way you look. You would look so feminine in a brown paper sack.

I mean see you profile pic that is great.

I am suprised you feel that way.

You are definately one of the gg's here who I want to take out as a guy, but

I would probably want to borrow you dresses to wear for my self.

It would take a lot of forms and tighlacing to match your curves.

Prene, you're a doll. On the last day of our course, I wore false lashes with my uniform and the instructor thought it was funny. I told her I felt kind of mannish in my uniform and it was one of the worst days of the year having to wear the uniform with no makeup one day that I woke up late. She said the eye lash's weren't practical, but she said that it wasn't me that they were talking to when they said to keep our makeup to a minimal. So, it turned out okay and I can do my makeup normally and she showed me some clips online that are small enough to pull the hair out of my face but keep it down. So, I'm a lot happier with the uniform. It's still chinos and loose khakis, but it works. Now, the focus is on getting used to compression hose and ugly white shoes. Luckily, our white uniforms are designed for our appropriate gender and it looks a lot better on me.

But, yeah, my attitude about it is a bit better since I can wear my normal makeup. I used to get real frustrated on Mondays and wonder what the point was in putting on so little makeup. (This is from someone who wears gobs of eyeliner and mascara on a daily basis).

With the new and improved version of how I get ready on Mondays, I'd say I look real feminine from the neck on up haha. I get a lot of my clothes tailored because I am bigger chested and have fuller hips, but a pretty small waist. I'm probably just going to tailor my white uniform and polo so it fits me better. They never said that we couldn't, and it would male the whole thing look SO much better on me.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    When I took Pharmacy tech classes they told us you can only wear white or black sneakers. They said no acrylics nails or nail polish . No hoop earings. I do my externship and what do I see ? Hoop earings , acrylic nails , Women wearing mules and heels . I never gave up my acrylic nails , all though one lady in my class did .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    When I took Pharmacy tech classes they told us you can only wear white or black sneakers. They said no acrylics nails or nail polish . No hoop earings. I do my externship and what do I see ? Hoop earings , acrylic nails , Women wearing mules and heels . I never gave up my acrylic nails , all though one lady in my class did .
    No what I want to hear is people reaction when Shananigans goes out in her nursing outfit with her SO en femme . Giggles.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

No what I want to hear is people reaction when Shananigans goes out in her nursing outfit with her SO en femme . Giggles.
    I got rid of my acrylics after years wearing them . It was a sad day.

But, yes, I went out as the nurse from Kill Bill (a bit naughtier though) and my SO in the school girl outfit of Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill on Halloween. After 5 minutes on the dance floor, we were plastered together in a display of too much PDA and people were commenting about the lesbians on the dance floor.

Awesome night.

My nursing instructors hopefully will never learn of this...I think we talked about getting rid of the naughty nurse image during orientation.

Cough.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 01-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I just got through talking with some relatives from harvest, so when I read your post I'm imagining this thick southern accent . I still want to see pics of you in it next to your SO all girled up

Also, side note with being forced to "play" or dress as a gender you don't feel comfortable with...

I had to be guy in this skit with my friends. I was nominated as the guy because I'm tall. (Yeah, tall still equals not feminine for some unknown reason...I still maintain that short people are only jealous). I not only made for a really awkward, stereotypical man...but, I also felt entirely awkward playing this role.

It was just supposed to be a dumb little skit, but it made me think a lot about people having to live like that. Just the change in my clothes and the way people treated me felt really awkward and I was happy to be done with it.
    Last edited by Shananigans; 01-02-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Well it's the roles we play. Oh by the way I'm 6' tall when I'm in 6" inch heels

I had something happen to me that I figured y'all might get a kick out of since some of you like to think that all GGs are crossdressing 24/7...

I AM NOW!!!! Seriously. I am basically being forced.

So, I have to have a uniform for nursing school that consists of the following items: a navy blue Polo, khakis (that must be pretty loose), brown leather shoes, a brown leather belt, no jewelry, hair pulled back, a fanny pack (yes, you have read that correctly), brown socks, and minimal makeup.

So, it already is rather masculine in and of itself; however, I have to wear a MEN'S Polo. Every woman was specifically told by the dean to order a men's Polo. Her reasoning was that the "women's polo was not cut with a woman in mind."

While wearing this suit, I look kind of like a dude. I feel really awkward about my appearance and just generally hate the way the day is going when I am wearing it.

My girlfriend and I used to go to lunch together between classes (I was in uniform), and I was handed the check by the waiter. You should have seen my face. My friend fell over laughing and said, "Aw, honey...you don't have to buy me lunch!"

My SO came over to my apartment one night after I got in from school and we were supposed to go out to dinner. I was still in my uniform...he had never seen me in this uniform before. I opened the door and he said, "Oh...uhm...wow. That's what you wear to school?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Yes, this is what I have to wear. It's also laundry day. Would you be embarrassed if I wore this to dinner?" He laughed a little and said, "I mean...no...I wouldn't be embarrassed per se...but...you know..." I threw up my hands and said, "Yes, I look butch! I know! I'll just have to wear dirty clothes then!"

So, anyway, now every Monday...I feel like I am crossdressing and I think fondly of y'all. You can say without a doubt that all of the GGs in my nursing class are crossdressing...we are wearing clothes designed for men. And, it makes for a GREAT Monday.
    I have been wearing scrubs for years which is what the GG nurses wear. It is rather androgynous more than crossdressing. I have worn support pantyhose since my heart surgery. Stay focused and get your degree and welcome to the field. Billie Jean
    Last edited by Billie Jean; 01-02-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Maybe wearing something quite elaborately feminine underneath the uniform! That's how some of us get by anyway.
    DonnaT

Well it's the roles we play. Oh by the way I'm 6' tall when I'm in 6" inch heels
    Haha puhleaze. My SO and I in heels (gotta be no shorter than 4") are like walking giants. You don't know if we are stepping off the runway or about to slam-dunk a basketball.

Anyway, it's a New Year. Hopefully, it's a year of greater acceptance and understanding of people from all walks of life. I often walk into a situation with my mind already made up. I had said quite often on the forum that clothes matter very little and then I had a change of heart. Do I think I went through the trauma that TG people go through? No...but, I do feel like I have a greater appreciation of things (especially, why the feminine clothes are so important to some). So, that's my resolution...just to be more open-minded, accepting, and understanding of all different people (TG and otherwise). I feel like I am already this type of person, but I think I have room for more growth like everyone else.

This is so timely. I just had a nurse come to my house ( I am a caregiver) . She said "you are doing great is there anything I can do for you ?" I asked if she could find me one of those nurse outfits in white with the white stockings. hehehe

Very interesting thread, and nice to get a GG's perspective on this. I've seen a fair few women that I thought were being forced to crossdress--especially cops. I never said anything, of course, because I thought it wouldn't be politically correct. But I've often wondered what they felt about what they had to wear. After all, uniforms can be made such that they look better on a woman. Wouldn't it be possible to have a male cop's uniform and a female cop's uniform?

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    you can add UPS to the list as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    Very interesting thread, and nice to get a GG's perspective on this. I've seen a fair few women that I thought were being forced to crossdress--especially cops. I never said anything, of course, because I thought it wouldn't be politically correct. But I've often wondered what they felt about what they had to wear. After all, uniforms can be made such that they look better on a woman. Wouldn't it be possible to have a male cop's uniform and a female cop's uniform?
    It depends really on the person. A lot of my friends don't mind the uniform and just say that it makes their morning go much quicker. (I usually figure out why I'm wearing the night before, so a uniform doesn't save me any time). But, there are quite a lot of girls that hate the uniform too. My pathophysiology professor is a huge girlie girl and always has her nails painted red and is dressed to the nines. She's a fairly older woman, but I swear she is me in 50 years. She saw us all sitting in the hall with our uniforms on and said, "You look like that one boy band...ya know...Mmmm bop." Then, she waltzed away. We looked like Hanson...a group of boys with long hair. When we were auscultating heart sounds, we have to displace our partner's breast tissue to listen to the mitral area and in a famous line I said, "I know that your boob is here somewhere under this Walmart shirt!" I think if the shirts weren't made for men, it would be better. But, our nursing school is ultra conservative, so I think it's just going to be this way the next 2 years. They just gave me another scholarship, so I'm going to stop complaining haha. I'll be happier with scrubs and uniforms that fit right...but, I have a hard enough time with women's clothes fitting right let alone having to wear clothes modeled off a male body. I should post a pic on here (if I had one)...it looks like a little girl wearing her dad's work uniform because the shoulders are big and sag forward and it turns into this blimp of a Polo. To be honest, the men don't look much better in it haha

But, yeah, some like the equality of the uniforms and some people hate them. Some people like the no-fuss that it presents at puts everyone at equalfooting, and some find them heinous.

It probably won't be the first or last uniform I hate.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    So, clothes matter!...I don't like looking manly.
    Trust me, I know exactly how you feel !!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Platinum Member
    Well, I guess that based on the experience of being "forced" to CD in men's clothes, you'll agree that women's clothes are so much more fun!