Thread: Friendly stores

Aspiring Member

Smile Friendly stores

I have been a bit shocked by the difference between the UK and N America in terms of trying things on. Here in the UK it is normal to be able to try things on dressed as male, even in small boutiques.

After 15 years of this, it is all too easy to forget how nervous you get the first few times. Wouldn't it be helpful if retailers had a discreet sign in a corner of the window or the door announcing that they were happy for men to try things on. A hybrid male/female symbol would be too obvious - possibly a circle with an arrow inside it or something? By making it easier for men to shop, the retail problems would be transformed - these days they NEED us, but the more nervous amongst us need to know we are welcome.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    There is nothing wrong with crossdressing but there is a great deal wrong with society.

Actually, I like this idea too not so much for me, but more for those that have trouble shopping for women's clothes en femme or drab.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    It does sound like a good idea. I am very much like Allie, in that I have no problem shopping for feminine clothes regardless of how I am dressed!! A major part of the problem is fear in the person doing the shopping!! If they can get past the fear, they will have a much easier time shopping and will really enjoy it!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by susan54 View Post
    I have been a bit shocked by the difference between the UK and N America in terms of trying things on. Here in the UK it is normal to be able to try things on dressed as male, even in small boutiques.

After 15 years of this, it is all too easy to forget how nervous you get the first few times. Wouldn't it be helpful if retailers had a discreet sign in a corner of the window or the door announcing that they were happy for men to try things on. A hybrid male/female symbol would be too obvious - possibly a circle with an arrow inside it or something? By making it easier for men to shop, the retail problems would be transformed - these days they NEED us, but the more nervous amongst us need to know we are welcome.
    Don't hold your breath! I believe the backlash from some women would make that an untenable strategy for most stores. There's plenty of Kohls, Sear, Penneys, Ross, etc where you can try on in drab or not. Of course, I could be wrong......

All the stores around here already have a sign in their windows that says I'm welcome to try what ever I want to buy... Sometimes more than one....

"Sale". or "Clearance" or "Visa acepted here".
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

"It Pays to Discover"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    All the stores around here already have a sign in their windows that says I'm welcome to try what ever I want to buy... Sometimes more than one....

"Sale". or "Clearance" or "Visa acepted here".

It would be kind of cool to see...we accept master card, visa, crossdressers here...
    Chickie

I agree with Karren! Money talks!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Sounds good to me too! Here in Nashville Tn., some restaraunts post a small sign in their windows letting women know that breast feeding their infants is accepted. Now if we could only get merchants to accept us like that, well ....maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by erickka View Post
    Sounds good to me too! Here in Nashville Tn., some restaraunts post a small sign in their windows letting women know that breast feeding their infants is accepted. Now if we could only get merchants to accept us like that, well ....maybe someday.
    We haven't got to start breast feeding as well now have we ?? LOL
    [SIZE="3"]Lots of love Gina X[/SIZE]

If you sit near the river for long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies will float by......Chinese Proverb
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing !!
    People who think they know everything, are especially annoying to those of us who do

The only problem with this is that even when national chain stores have policies that are friendly to the CD/LGBT community it is difficult getting those policies enforced on a local level. I've never really encountered these problems myself but I know of examples where a national chain has friendly policies but some local personnel do not follow them.
    One example that I read about a short while ago is a Safeway in Washington D.C. where a cashier used an anti-gay slur against a gay couple while they were checking out.
    Safeway is based in Northern California and is friendly to the LGBT community but that one employee seemed to be clueless.