Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My FFS with Dr. Spiegel...off on a sour note...

Coda...

My FFS with Dr. Spiegel...off on a sour note...

So it's 2 weeks before I leave for Boston for FFS with Dr. Spiegel on Dec 1. This will effectively be the end my transition. Though I may still do a BA in the Spring.

I'll try and take a few pics of Boston and update my progress. There is a good chance I'll be able to meet up with few gals in the New England area. Very much looking forward to this.

Had all my reservations and a confirmed in writing post-op visit the morning of Dec 9 with Dr. Spiegel. I get an email yesterday canceling the appointment with Dr. Spiegel and replacing it with one of his residents. And it's much later, requiring a late departure time from Logan.

So Dr. Spiegel is not removing my staples and sutures nor performing the departure check. The email said he will be in the building and (might) pop his head in. This makes me lose confidence. I'm not one of his $40,000 patients, but it is a lot of money for me and it is serious bone work. Especially annoying as lots of YouTube and his site vids show post op visits of $40,000 gals and him delicately removing sutures and staples. And carefully performing a post op check.

I'm becoming disillusioned with some of these famous docs. My inguinal hernia surgeon in 2010 was terrific. My rhino surgeon treated me like I was his most important patient. Had 6 free post op check ups so far. I suspect that is how he treats all his patients, which is how it should be. Bowers' post op care and recovery house were abysmal.

I am committed financially, so I'll just have to see how things go. And hope for a positive experience and result... which is very likely...

OFF

Psyco Roller Derby Doll. Katesback's Avatar
    I am thinking you will be ok. I saw this happen with Dr. Leese who did SRS on a friend and then left for a tranny conference thereafter. He left her in the care of one of his assistants. She did fine.

By the way I demand you be home in a week after surgery and taking pictures showing a couple pieces of tape on your face and appearing to be completely recovered.

KAtie

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    I am thinking you will be ok. I saw this happen with Dr. Leese who did SRS on a friend and then left for a tranny conference thereafter. He left her in the care of one of his assistants. She did fine.

By the way I demand you be home in a week after surgery and taking pictures showing a couple pieces of tape on your face and appearing to be completely recovered.

KAtie
    Probably will. But it does make you feel like you are not a priority...

I would need to slather beard cover onto my bloody raccoon eyes and oozing sutures to take pictures like that. I know I won't look good in one week...

I seriously doubt that most any doctor really cares a lot about his clients. Add to it that most doctors I have ever met have the personality of a pencil and it makes sense to me.

I think you will do just fine. Once he is done working on you all that remains is to heal and any qualified doc can tend to that.

I can say that I didnt pick my FFS doctor because of his personality. LOL He acted like a damm pig. I picked him because of his work and his price.

Katie

Coda...
    Kate...always a ray of sunshine...

I know your doc and yeah he does act like that...
    Last edited by Zenith; 11-15-2011 at 01:15 PM.

He will be out of town for my post op so same here. I think like Kate said any doc can remove sutures however I understand your feelings.

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    He will be out of town for my post op so same here. I think like Kate said any doc can remove sutures however I understand your feelings.
    So no follow ups for either of us before we leave never to be seen again? Lame, real lame...

Just for Kate...here is a Spiegel shot of a postop patient with the eye swelling accompanying forehead bone work...and another surgeon's forehead patient at one week...I am so looking forward to this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forget it. I'll just pay somone to beat the crap out of me.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs View Post
    Dr Spiegel was in the office but the nurse practioner working for him at the time removed sutures and staples. He stopped by briefly after she finished and said everything looked OK. The NP did her work gently, carefully and frequently asked if pain tolerable. The NP's name was Kate. Hope she's still with him, she was wonderful.
    Katie? She is his patient care coordinator.

Yes sure lots can remove sutures. The sore point is tossing you out the door without a personal check on your healing. And 10 days in Boston is God awful expensive. Why couldn't I just come home and have a local FACS doc or nurse pull the sutures?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Why couldn't I just come home and have a local FACS doc or nurse pull the sutures?
    you have a point!

GOD that poor girl looks awful LOL!

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    you have a point!

GOD that poor girl looks awful LOL!
    Oh you'll get your turn too...lol But she did end up pretty hot so...

I came home and a period of time later I and a friend helped me remove stitches over the course of a few weeks. I did not need to have a doctor do it.

Come to think of it after SRS I remember stitches comming out over time down there. Add to it the srange sensation of the inner stitches tearing and ya got some fun times. LOL

Katie

Coda...
    FFS Kate, (the other abbreviation), don't tell me you removed your vaginal packing and catheter yourself? lol

You know the attention to detail of the Thai docs makes all this look half-assed...

Smart ass girl LOL. I dont remember much about recovering from srs. I dont remember much about recovering from ffs. Just snipets.

I guess I was drugged pretty good. The caregiver I had for ffs said I was a real bitch in recovery.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Forget flying
    Southwest Chief to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Boston
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by mustlovedogs View Post
    I understand your concern about suture/staple removal and final office visit. Recovery in a hotel is expensive and lonely (also boring). Hope you have someone going with you. First post-op hairwash was memorable, glad I had help.

My FFS with Dr Spiegel was three years ago. At that time, Kelly Bennett was the patient coordinator and Kate the NP. Dr Spiegel was in the office on the day sutures were removed and examined me briefly before I departed. I've been back for two post-op visits with Dr Spiegel since my FFS, no charge for either.

As far as suture/staple removal done locally, suggest talking to Dr Spiegel about that. If he agrees, have him write a letter to the airline stating your recovery is sufficient that you can fly home safely.
    Well I know he does post-op visits/suture removal for some of his patients...there are YouTubes!

Yeah I remember collapsing in the shower post SRS in Mt.San Rafael...good times, good times...

I can't realistically go back to see him, so I need him to check me out before I leave...hence the sour note...

Good point, the key to returning home and having suture removal done there is how well one is to travel...I can't really change things now, just wish I had know about this before I booked surgery...

Be free - overcome fear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katesback View Post
    The caregiver I had for ffs said I was a real bitch in recovery.
    How come that doesn't surprise me Kate?
    "Judging a person does not define who they are - it defines who you are"
    "
    Don't be so Serious, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me....... I'll laugh at you!"
    "
    Haters don't really hate you, they hate themselves, because you are a reflection of what they want to be"
    "The most happiest people in this world don't need the best of everything, they just make the best of everything"'

Find me on Facebook

Banned Read only
    Hi,

I'm sorry he pushed you off onto one of his residents.
    I guess if all turns out to be acceptable then all fine and good.
    If not then demand revision.

Julia

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyJane View Post
    Forget flying
    Southwest Chief to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Boston
    Took the Southwest Chief to Trinidad and back with sleeping car. Great decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody Moore View Post
    How come that doesn't surprise me Kate?
    I didn't take the bait, but I knew someone would...

Be free - overcome fear!
    I didn't take the bait, but I knew someone would...
    Yeah, I am a real sucker eh? Fell for it hook, line & sinker right?

I just couldn't resist because there is so much fun to be had around here

"Judging a person does not define who they are - it defines who you are"
    "
    Don't be so Serious, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me....... I'll laugh at you!"
    "
    Haters don't really hate you, they hate themselves, because you are a reflection of what they want to be"
    "The most happiest people in this world don't need the best of everything, they just make the best of everything"'

Find me on Facebook

Coda...
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry he pushed you off onto one of his residents.
    I guess if all turns out to be acceptable then all fine and good.
    If not then demand revision.

Julia
    S'OK I feel better (sort of) knowing it's S.O.P. Will try to post to this thread as it goes. In a little over 2 weeks will be getting up from anesthesia...yikes

There is a good chance I'll be able to meet up with few gals in the New England area. Very much looking forward to this.
    If you need any info just PM me. I work in the Boston metro area every day. Good luck, but judging by your before pictures here you won't need it. Damn, just add one more young hot woman to compete with this old girl.
    Sally

I want to wish you well. Everything will turn out fine. The hard part is the surgery and not the suture removal.
    Michelle

Good luck with the surgery. From the pics of the after looks, too bad you didn't have this done just before Halloween, then you could have saved some money on a face mask. Anyway, I am still not sure how much they can improve on your current beauty. Hugs and all those good things.

Coda...
    Thanks Sally, Michelle, Allie. I haven't been adding female as much as taking away male. Knocking down some bone will help a lot. Here is my browbone close up, unretouched. Handsome for sure but not female...
    Attached Images Attached Images