Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If only we had a gender therapist on this board to answer questions!

If only we had a gender therapist on this board to answer questions!

Somebody qualified that could actually answer questions that keep coming up. You know, like a Dear Abby question area "ask the the therapist". They could answer some of the more common questions that come up. Does anybody know a therapist that might join to answer even a few questions a week? Is this possible?

Wouldn't it be great?

Lots of therapists do video chat. Skype and FaceTime and yahoo messenger...etc...

What do you do for a living? Will u do it for free for us? I think that would great too!.

Btw..kidding aside...
    Google Anne vitale, Gianna Israel (sp?) , tsroadmap, etc... There are tons of resources online

Do we have resource links here? That might be a good idea too.

I know everybody wants to get paid. We all give each other advice and ideas for free though. This board is a source of therapy.

I think what Marleena means is that this site would be the bomb-diggity if there were a member here who was an actual therapist who offered an opinion in threads as we other members do.

I dunno, but if I were a therapist I think I'd lurk here just so I could see what the current issues are popping up in the lives of trans folks. But there's no way I'd reveal myself, as that would defeat the purpose for my being here.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

That was the idea Michelle. I'm allowed one bad idea per week if it turns out that way.

I think that the collective wisdom of hundreds of forum members who have actually walked the walk is far superior to that of a single person who happens to have a diploma hanging on the wall.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Ever start a thread, then regret it? This is one of them.

Please file under bad idea.

I think that a therapist would be hesitant to be that source of opinions and counseling since it takes special time to know a client, special experience to counsel on "T" specific issues, and then there is the liability, and typical forum backwash from people who will question everything the therapist says. I believe that it would be a lose - lose situation for a therapist to confront all of us and our issues and lack of communication skills, and then add in all the "My way is correct" opinionated know it alls here, and we would have some really fun threads to follow.

Not only a forum therapist...but, something like WebMD for gender issues would be the bomb haha..

But, nothing is more annoying than a patient coming in with their own diagnosis for something. I have a pain in my leg...clearly, it's a DVT! I like wearing dresses and sometimes get off on the idea of being a woman...clearly, I am a TS!

It would be nice to have a therapist that might not be able to make diagnoses, but just give general light on topics. I would think that even in therapy, there would be a number of assessments performed before a diagnosis were made. I think a lot of people on the forum want a clear cut answer on things: Does this make me bisexual? Does this mean that I am a TS? Will my wife accept me?

Often, there are no clear cut answers with anything in life. So, a therapist here making formal diagnoses would be worn thin after a few hours. But, just adding general light on things would be nice. I often want to ask why things are the way they are in the DSM, or how someone would go about treating someone who is a TS and presents with a mental disorder. I think about these things and never have answers.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    That was the idea Michelle. I'm allowed one bad idea per week if it turns out that way.
    Actually, not a bad idea. But then we'd have to pay a subscription fee for the service!
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Some of us here have no need for therapists. I am talking about the members that have a good grip on life. That are perfectly able to work through any problems they have themselves.

And is it healthy to be guided through life by a stranger that could be talking rubbish.

[And Eryn’s comment is spot on]

SUZY

Hi,

I For one have never spoken to one or talked with one,

a Pysch i told him what i had & was doing if you can call 45 mins of talking i had no concerns or had any ?'s i would ask,
    For my self what would i talk about & why. as to dysphora or what ever, apart from not knowing what the word meant . i saw no point,

It comes down to knowing who you are & accepting who you are, i did , unless some one has gone through details in life as we have & some one who has not do they really understand us , no they dont & never will. they may have some good idears just they are not us, so no i would not disscuss any details thats for my self to work through, tho proberly not what people wont to hear its still the truth.

Haveing said that for my self , if others feel the need to talk with one thats not an issue & in some ways may be the best for them ,

It depends on the person at the time,

...noeleena...

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Some of us here have no need for therapists. I am talking about the members that have a good grip on life. That are perfectly able to work through any problems they have themselves.

And is it healthy to be guided through life by a stranger that could be talking rubbish.

[And Eryn’s comment is spot on]

SUZY
    I don't know, Suzy. I think that healthy people need therapists a lot of times. A good example would be pre-marital counseling...you may be going into the marriage thinking that you have talked about all of the important issues; however, it's sometimes nice to have an outside source that can offer you advice and direct you in better discussions about your future.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

hiya M,

Yep, I can relate to starting a thread and realizing it was probably a bad idea to post it. Come to think of it, that is true in most of my attempts to start threads,

But since you know the rule about every intended good deed being punished…I feel obligated to spank you by replying with the following unnecessary comment…

A typical discussion forum will not have many medical or mental health “professionals” as members. If it does, the first comment any of them will make (should make) is to state the obvious, which is to recommend the first step of seeking face-to-face counsel with a licensed professional in the field.

Professionals know and amateurs should realize that any type of diagnosis, treatment suggestions or “advice” offered in response to a plea for help in a post on an internet forum has greater potential to do more harm than good.

In every case any reply is given without first-hand knowledge of the actual condition that is causing the symptoms for that particular individual. Most “symptoms” described by a poster could potentially be present in several different types of disorders or medical conditions. It is illogical and unwise to assume that anyone (professional or amateur) could accurately diagnose the cause of a health related symptom(s) solely from reading content supplied in a post on an internet forum.

The potential for error is just too high. The potential consequences of acting upon what later may prove to have been incorrect information could be devastating. For example the person may opt to follow incorrect advice posted on a forum in lieu of consulting a qualified professional to obtain a professional diagnosis of their condition.

The last thing I would consider doing is to seek advice regarding a personal medical/mental health problem on an internet forum. I would definitely not act upon any advice or information posted on the internet regarding any medical or mental health issues prior to seeing a licensed professional.

That is just me…I place a lot of value in applying common sense to most issues.

Hey, one positive aspect of internet forums is that if you happen to make a complete fool of yourself (not the case here of course) sometime on a forum...you always have the option of just disappearing forever into cyberspace with the same anonymous protection of your real identity as you have right now...

Ah, the internet, what a planet...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A few thoughts.
    !. Why buy the cow when the milk is free; no one attempting to make a living as a therapist willingly gives away what they are selling except as a come-on, not if they want to stay in business. Sorry, but this is a fact of life.
    2. "Therapy" implies a disease for which one needs to be treated. Are you ill? If not, then why do you need a therapist?
    3. If 2 or more people are having a disagreement, they can seek out a referee or an arbitrator; although often these are labeled "therapists", that is not their function.
    4. The only other reason to employ these is to use them to run the hurdles set up by medical insurance. Unfortunately this has become the norm even for MDs; treatment of necessary medical issues has been delayed or denied by this tactic, to the detriment of the patient.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Marleena, even if you think it is a bad idea, the fact is, it opens discussion that helps everyone to come to a little more knowledge. So, never beat yourself up. Even if it was a mistake (which it is not), we all must learn by making mistakes, there is no other way around it. So treat yourself like you would treat your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I think that the collective wisdom of hundreds of forum members who have actually walked the walk is far superior to that of a single person who happens to have a diploma hanging on the wall.
    What I learned from good therapists, is that their job is to help you come to the place in your life, where you know how and where to go to find help and support within your own community of friends and family, outside of a therapists office.

It is the therapists job to put themselves out of a job.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I thought that Reine was ours.
    Maybe not a therapist, but a counselor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    I don't know, Suzy. I think that healthy people need therapists a lot of times. A good example would be pre-marital counseling...you may be going into the marriage thinking that you have talked about all of the important issues; however, it's sometimes nice to have an outside source that can offer you advice and direct you in better discussions about your future.
    I know we can agree to disagree on this and remain friends Shannon.
    So I disagree.

But lots of hugs, SUZY

LOL...i know...just bustin on you!!

it would be wonderful to have some real professional advice...of course, there are lots of quacks out there too...

Generally I think any professional who came on board here to chat would get pretty overwealmed with questions. People would get upset that they weren't being answered and so on. It is a lot to put on someone. I know I would like to talk to a therapist myself though I don't know what help or lack of help that would be. There is a certain comfort in having someone "professional" state their opinion about something even if any number of people who aren't professionals could easily state the same thing or have more informed and knowledgeable opinions.

I am sure there are many licensed therapists on this board already. Sharing experiences, learning and participating like everyone else. Therapists like to CD too!
    A good therapist will see it as their job to help individuals connect with others and the world around them for long term support. That is exactly what this board does.
    A therapist really has no better answer than a typical thread here. For example, in a recent thread the writer asked "am I bisexual"? There were 10-15 answers all with unique perspectives and good direction. That is far more valuable that one "expert" pontificating a simple answer to what is really a complex question.
    Sure a professional can be useful in acute crisis, and should be sought by one who is distressed by their behavior, one who is suicidal or unable to generate self-acceptance. A therapist is also useful for teaching specific skills of stress management (like mindfulness) but many of these techniques can be a learned elsewhere as well.
    In the end, a dear abby type service would provide interesting reads, but be no more valuable than any other dear abby type column. And certainly less useful than the regular contributions of the board members.

Platinum Member
    yeah, it would be nice to have a professional therapist, but as noted, they probably expect to get paid, which is understandable, and there may be some concerns about doling out advice w/o really knowing the person your advising.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDA View Post
    I thought that Reine was ours.
    Maybe not a therapist, but a counselor.
    I agree with you! Reine has a natural talent for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    I'd buy that, but according to the statistics that the counselors themselves quote, people who receive counseling divorce at a rate 70% that of the general population. Considering that people who self-select to seek out counseling are already more committed to having a good marriage I'd think that the divorce rate would be far lower if marriage counseling were effective.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    You were voicing an opinion shared by probably 80% of the members here
    so don't take it personally if you FEEL that it trainwrecked. It didn't.

The fact is, Michell.M made a VERY valid point in that a therapist
    might become A BETTER therapist by coming in here and reading and
    participating.

But really, unless THEY are CD or TG too - they can only regurgitate
    good ideas or provide IMPRACTICAL advice because not one of them
    can tell you WHY you are CD / TG or understand our point of view.

I am a GG and sorta have interest in having guy parts but not a TG.
    I do however have a very sympathetic ear for M2F TGs and CD males
    ( note I recognize they are different and the first one IS NOT MALE
    wheras a therapist would tell a M2F TG that "he was born male" )

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Some of us here have no need for therapists. And is it healthy to be guided through life by a stranger that could be talking rubbish.

SUZY
    Totally agree with that statement Suzy. My Ex had one that her other psyc called her teddy-beat therapist. And he did nothing for her for 8 years. I often wondered about that give/take relationship..

We on the other hand, I don't have a hope in hell of sorting things out, it's just to darn fun playing with all this stuff in my head.. lol