Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Dressing

I probably spend more than I need to. I seem to know what I like cause I have often purchased duplicates of tops and skirts shoes ect. Being a crossdresser is not cheap. I do shope thrift stores also
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Being short fat and old I realize that no amount of gilding the lily will make me presentable so I have no incentive to spend.

Vieja

The cost of dressing these days is just the cost of buying clothes. I don't own or wear mens clothing, other than a couple suits and dress shirts for weddings and funerals. I don't try to pass, I just wear ladies clothing. I can go out looking perfectly normal as a guy, or push it to the point where most ladies and some guys would quickly realize I'm not in guy clothing.

Dressing in ladies clothing is generally cheaper. I buy a lot of jeans and that kind of stuff in thrift stores, and ladies clothing is easy to find on sale. Ladies shoes are no more than mens in most cases, and I don't spend a fortune on high heels or anything I wouldn't wear very often. I also have so much more sexy and pretty underwear that I ever had while dressing in guy clothes, and not having clean undies to wear is a very distant memory.

I am a bargain hunter and get most of my clothes 70% off so about $1000 a year on clothes (sadly about the same on jewelry)

I am afraid to think of the money I spend on girlie things.
    I am afraid to think of the money I spend on camera stuff.
    I am afraid to think of how much money I have at the end of the month.

I am not afraid to think of the enjoyment I get from dressing.
    It is money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I typically spend $2 to $3 thousand a year on my hobby... Corsets aint cheap ya know! Lol.
    Now come on Karren, do away with the corsets and start the sit ups/ crunches.
    10 years from now and you will have the figure of your dreams girl.

And think of all the money you will be saving on corsets.

Suzy giving advice here!

I probably spend $1200 a year on mani and pedi and eyebrow waxing alone.lol Then add the cost of cloths omg i may have to get a second job!

Wow, I'm trying not to spend too much; usually about $200 per year.

I never thought of keeping tabs on how much I spend on girly things, but the last month or so I've spent about $800. Karren is rite corsets aint cheep and their my new fav.

It has been said that if you have a "hobby" any hobby, no matter how obscure or niche-market or even unknown there is always someone or some business out there willing to sell you what you need, and willing to provide far more than you can ever afford! No limits!

Totally. The Cost Of Dressing? Don't get me started! Paaaleeese! Well, let's see, 54 minus 6 equals 48. 48 years! I became aware of my "hobby" at 6 and didn't act upon it until the summer of my 10th year. I bought my first pair of pantyhose, with wrinkled paper money and some change with a red face and shaky hand---even though I tossed the "Leggs" egg into the shopping cart along with my other food. So obvious! Hee hee! Like the kid in American Graffitti who was underage and went into a liquor store. the guy behind the counter asks what the young man wants. He replies: "Unngghh, yeah. I'll take the comb, some of those fuzzy dice, some pipe cleaners, some of that gum and oh yeah, a pint of Canadian Club! Buzzzzzzzzz! WRONG! Of course that's how I felt, totally. I was 16 by then, offering to go grocery shopping for "mom" just to help her out!
    That's 38 years ago now, when that first pair of pantyhose started it, moneywise. I'd "borrowed" a few errant pairs before from the trash bag and rewashed them having to put up with the total blow-out runs until I could get another pair. I would then match up the good legs of both, no matter what color and continue on. But the older I got the taller I got and soon the nylons didn't fit anymore. Maybe that was my impetus. But I was still red faced at the counter. The pantyhose were out of this world however! Brand spankin' new, no runs and enough material for someone another 6 inches taller than I was! Pretty cool. But that was only the first three-bucks of my hobby!

Ah, 38 years! A two grand road trip to the big and "anonymous" city where if I got laughed at or red faced who cared? I knew I'd never see that lady behind the counter or anyone in the store ever again! And in the big-city they used to have some really stellar---and expensive lingerie and department stores!! And I had expensive, but not rediculous tastes. And then, the years went buy. Another trip, a few "money-order" catalog orders mailed out and then the internet! And Ebay!! Now it truly was no limit. I still remember one evening over too many glasses of wine when I'd finally been able to quench my craving for those vintage, nylon chiffon baby-doll nighties from the 50's and 60's! I ended up going wild and by the time I was done that evening I'd won nearly all the bids, and, had dropped $800 bucks on a nylon overdose! That didn't help the hang-over the next day, or my credit card balance! The next week and nearly every night for the next two weeks one by one these Fed-Ex boxes started arriving at my door every night like clockwork. It was the nightgown of the day club! INSANE!

And my collection is still growing! The only solution? Build an addition or get a bigger house! the enticements are endless, the sales, the fashions, the Ebay vintage, the new shoes, makeup, jewelry and that pricy purse you just have to have to match an outfit! That's just the way it goes I guess. But I will say that had I saved every penny I ever spent on women's clothes and put it in a cookie jar---for the past 38 years not counting any interest? I could have bought a really nice new car--or a modest ranch home with attached garage! Yeah, pretty unbelievable!!

I spend a lot less on my "hobby" than the average golfer spends a year on his hobby, at least I don't have to pay greens fees. I shop on rare occasion anymore, I never throw anything out, and the closets are over flowing already, so a couple new blouses in the summer, a new sweater or long skirt in the fall, just fill in things you know. make up as needed, I really don't experiment that much with new stuff any more, and every couple of years a new wig or two.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

This reminds me of something I jotted down while recently watching the TV show "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" on DVD. At one point Belle says "You know, I worked it out once. It costs me twenty grand a year to be a girl." That's British pounds, but in US dollars it's about $31,500. I suppose she was buying a lot of designer fashions at the priciest stores.

My mom raised me to be a great bargain hunter and I have to say I spend a fraction of that, myself. The main thing is to aim for clothes that will transcend the fashion seasons, keeping the more trendy stuff to a minimum. I don't believe in paying full retail for anything. I shop the outlet stores, vintage shops, thrift stores and watch the biggies for super specials. Online I have no problem with buying clothes on eBay and most online retailers have clearance sections with great deals.

There used to be great game-ish show on the Style channel called "The Look for Less" in which a viewer and a designer would be given a photo of a runway fashion, then hit a mall to put the look together in an hour with only $100 or so. I like to play a variation of that game myself online or, if going out, in one afternoon. I can always come in under budget, too.

Lyric

Chewies sister-moulted!
    Thursday evening last week , my wife and I tidied out Shellys clothing drawers .
    I was horrified . the amout of clothing I've obtained over the last 4 - 5 yrs . All that money ..... then theres the make up , the wigs - the shoes !
    Dare I suggest for everyone to look thru theyre own drawers and cupboards - you'll be surprised for sure .

Probably spent a few thousands in my beginner CD years with lots of pink fog about 10 years ago. Most of it was purged near the end of a bad relationship. Then I rebuilt a more useful wardrobe spending a few tens each year on mostly second hand from eBay.

I usually buy my things on sale. I go shopping en-femme so it's easy and fun to browse through the racks at Macy's.

I just got this dress for $91 (which is more than I usually pay), but it's amazing "on" as we girls say.

it ani;t cheap to be a beutyfull girl. lol

I spent pretty much $0 for the last year and dressed about 0 times. My clothes are dated and I want to dress. I am going to update my style and so I'm going to pickup 3-4 wigs off ebay, leggings, dresses, skirts, shapewear with some padding, jacket, boots if I can find some in my size, gotta get some tights and pantyhose also

I remember 4-5 years ago there was a red&white Christmas time sale at goodwill basically anything with red or white in it was 75% off. I went to 4 stores and spent about $150 for probably $4000 retail in clothes, that was an awesome day. I ended up purging it all I kick myself every time I think about that.

I used to go to department stores, goodwills and all kinds of places on my lunch break. I probably was spending $80/month back then.

Tabitha.

Hey, I don't think it is that an expensive hobby, one can mix some more inexpensive items with lables and then still get away with it. Currently I spend perhaps £1k a month, which is not much I know but then again I do get things from my GG friends. I used to have a previous life when one piece could set me back £3-5k and I thought nothing of it as I at the time had way more expensive hobbies to maintain.

I do still love Versace, Zilli, Bernini and all that jazz, but now I'm off to Bangkok in a few days and will go to my favorite tailor, an understanding one.

Banned Read only
    It all depends on what's available at retail. Sometimes I do not buy anything for months. Sometimes I go overboard. If I were a true female I'd have a compulsive shopping disorder. I end buying more than I could actually wear. When it would take three months to wear all your dresses and not duplicate any, then you got too many. The same with my compulsion- full slips.

Thing is, I tend to spend more en femme as I think it is wworth it. Some 90% or what I got is womans as I still do have to put up with mens at work whn we got customers in or other muppets. But it is soo cool, I got it in my contract than I can wear whatewer I like as long as it it smart. But I don't wear womens when I have customers or video conference calls. Most of the time I kinda underdress in combination with mixing. But I am happy to say that I can rock up in a dress if I what to if approrirate. Ant I a am the head of information tech at a major company. Cool eh? It is all in my contract, I made sure. i was atill worried last Friday when I let them all know about it nad also about a past, that might not belong here at the mo.

//Johanna

10 years ago I decided to make my clothes to save money.
    4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, 3 dressforms 2 cutting tables and a steam generator later, I'm not even at the break-even point
    Last edited by Miranda-E; 12-05-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda-E View Post
    10 years ago I decided to make my clothes to save money.
    4 sewing machines, 2 sergers, 3 dressforms 2 cutting tables and a steam generator later I'm not even at the break-even point
    Cool as f*** I did that in my teens, I made chlothes for both me an my current gf, most of them looked the same, actually I had some of them produced in Hong Kong later on.

/Johanna

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Like with many of you ,money is tight, I buy virtually everything from internet auction sites, some of the stuff is virtually for nothing, only problem is you cant try it on, or in most cases return it if it does,nt fit, but I have been pretty lucky so far, my last bargain was a pair of new strappy 5 inch heels for 99p, thats about a dollar to those across the pond

I'm very frugal, part of the fun of being a woman for me is shopping for bargains, just like any working girl...the only big splurges have been on my wig, my silicone breastforms, and a Jones New York trenchcoat that I've worn everywhere and had forever, otherwise it's shopping the sales and drugstore cosmetics for me, and I'm happy as a clam when I get a super deal on a new dress or shoes

I spent about 2000 to 2500 on clothes and stuff this past year. It was great, I got a lot of stuff but theres more things to still buy. I'm really going to give it the gas in the new year and get complete!
    The costly thing for me is going out. My wife doesn't want me dressed at home and then going out the door. So Halloween we got a hotel for 300 bucks taxes inc. Drinks, cab rides, tips and good Starbucks coffees the next day was about 600+ for the night. That was the costly part!!