Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you cry at movies?

Do you cry at movies?

I dont know how different I am to other guys because I like to dress, I feel that I am more sensitive then they.

Anyway, I wanted to ask; What Movies make you cry every time you see it?

I will start the list with:

Pretty Woman
    Rudy
    Message in a Bottle

Care to share the movies that really tear you up... and do you also feel like you are a "Tear Jerk" type of girl?

Aspiring Member
    I fined that since I have been on a HRT regime that I cry more than I used to when watching movies. Especially the holiday movies.
    Diane Elizabeth

I tear up or cry way to easily. It can be a movie or an emotional event involving my children such as seeing their enjoyment when we recently took them to "The Polar Express" in Arizona.

As for good movie cries, I spent a good part of the last Harry Potter movie curled up in a ball in my seat doing everything I could not to explode in tears. I had become way to emotionally invested in the characters and some of the revelations just sent me over the edge. Honestly though, even though I held back the full-on cry because my kids were there, it was a neat feeling to feel such emotions that seem to come on way too easy (and I'm not even on the juice).
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

All, the time. After one of my adult sons went to see a movie with me, the next time we went together, he said, "Dad, you're not going to cry like you did the last time, are you?" I said, I'll do my best not to.

I get so emotionally wrapped up in certain aspects of relationships in the movies, ones that hit home, I just cant hold it in. A lot of my freedom to be emotional has come from the nearly 8 years I spent in therapy. Before that I seemed emotionless, but it was just building up inside.

Some of my favorites that always pull tears are:
    "What dreams may come"
    "My life"
    "Contact"
    "October Sky"
    "Dragonfly"
    "Premonition"
    "It's a wonderful life"
    "Family Man"
    "A tree grows in Brooklyn"
    "Anne of Green Gables"

and countless others. If it deals with relatinships, I cry.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

unabashedly.

"Field of Dreams"
    "Saving Private Ryan"
    The list is long...

Yes, I tend to cry for movies that have a significant thread of loss or sacrifice. One I remember crying for was Pearl Harbor. There I am in a theater full of WW-II veterans, and I am crying. Some of them were too, but for different reasons.

Anna

Only while I pay for the popcorn and tickets. . .
    Sorry - couldn't resist the joke. Sure, there have been movies that choked me up.

The Fountain........................OMG soaked!!!!!

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Are you kidding? Cry? Me?

One word. "Rivers". Literally.

God, I am such a sap for sad movies. Even friggin' cartoons I get all teary-eyed about. Geez.....I'm so emotional! Of course, as men, we're taught we aren't supposed to cry or show emotion. God, I am so sick of that macho horse$hit.....
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Banned Read only
    I can't remember the name of the movie right now, but we rented it last year. It was probably made in 2007 I beleive. It starred an elderly James Garner living in a nursing home. And he would go down the hall to visit an elderly woman everyday and night and play cards with her and many other things to keep her company,etc.
    At the end of the movie, she died with him holding her hand and then the next minute, he dies as well. He reminded me so much of my own father too. It turned out that the lady he would go see everyday was his wife of many years but she didn't know who he was anymore. When that movie ended I got up from the couch with my wife and I ran to the bathroom and sat in the floor with a towel and cried one of the longest cries I had done in years. And during that cry, so many visions of my late Mother came back to me. That cry lasted for well over an hour. Actually I'm crying as I type this. Does anyone know of the movie I'm talking about?
    L&R....................Tara
    Last edited by Tara D. Rose; 12-04-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara-mxy View Post
    I can't remember the name of the movie right now, but we rented it last year. It was probably made in 2007 I beleive. It starred an elderly James Garner living in a nursing home. And he would go down the hall to visit an elderly woman everyday and night and play cards with her and many other things to keep her company,etc.
    At the end of the movie, she died with him holding her hand and then the next minute, he dies as well. He reminded me so much of my own father too. It turned out that the lady he would go see everyday was his wife of many years but she didn't know who he was anymore. When that movie ended I got up from the couch with my wife and I ran to the bathroom and sat in the floor with a towel and cried one of the longest cries I had done in years. And during that cry, so many visions of my late Mother came back to me. That cry lasted for well over an hour. Actually I'm crying as I type this. Does anyone know of the movie I'm talking about?
    L&R....................Tara
    I'm guessing it was "The Notebook" with James Garner, Gena Rowlands, Ryan Gosling and Rachel MacAdams. I haven't seen it, only heard what it was about. I don't think I could deal with it....
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

it is indeed "The Notebook". Nicholas Sparks is the book's author.

Banned Read only
    I have only cried a very rare few for movies in my entire life.

1: Throughout the ENTIRE Star Wars prequel movies, episodes 1-3................. They were that bad. Ruined Star Wars for the rest of my life.

2: Almost any relationship movie that I used to catch glimpses of (use to work at a theater cleaning stuff), especially if any of the characters were part of the LGBT community.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I cry at movies all of the time.
    Dana Ryan

I have always been more emotional than a "normal" man. I cry at movies, story's about kids, and just life. Used to bother me, now I embrace it as part of my feminine side.

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    unabashedly.

"Field of Dreams"
    "Saving Private Ryan"
    The list is long...
    Both of these too! Saving Private Ryan was the one my son went with me the first time when I cried. The first 30 minutes were unbelievably emotional when you could feel what they must have went through. The guy walking around in shock, looking for his arm that was blown off, was probably exactly what I would have done.
    The ending is hard to think about even now.

Reminded me of this print of the Vietnam Memorial: http://www.vietnamreflections.com/

After Vietnam a lot of big tough guys learned it was OK to cry. Saving Private Ryan made it OK for the WWII vets to cry too.
    Last edited by Jonianne; 12-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Joni

When I'm in male mode, I try to be very manly.. So I hold back the tears from parts where I probably would cry, but I definitely get choked up on some movies.. My throat usually starts hurting if I try to hold back for long enough..

The movie that made me let it out though was Man on Fire, where a young Dakota Fanning just got released from her kidnappers, and when she saw her body guard Denzel at the top of the overpass, she screamed his name a few times and ran to him.. It usually takes something like this versus romance movies.

Anyway, good question.

Peace & Love
    :::~Melody-Renee-Shaw~:::

Gold Member
    Anytime is possible depending on the mood. But consistently, Ghost gets some tears out of me.

Ghost, you had to bring that one up! "Love....., you take it with you!"
    Joni

Y'all should watch a movie I just caught on HBO yesterday called "Flipped" Awesome "growing up" type movie. There were several times when I both giggled and choked up.

Yup. I'm emotional when others appear stoic.

Field of Dreams
    Ghost
    Goodbye Mr. Chips
    Wonderful Life
    Old Yeller (I read the book a few times; now, I can't even pick it up without welling up.)
    Private Ryan ("Earn this")
    Lots of others.........

Anything that tugs at the heart-strings will set me off. Maybe it's just an outward manifestation of who we are.
    Susan

"Not sure who I am, yet. But, I'll let you know..."

Forrest Gump
    not a movie, but some episodes of Futurama
    and any dog movie, because the dog inevitably dies.

I wouldn't say I cry because I'm female to any degree, that would be preposterous. I am just man enough to embrace my feelings without fear.

I tear up during the reveal on Extreme Home Makeover.. Or when ever I hear "move that bus". Sniff sniff.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

My SO was tearing up at the ending of Marley & Me...

He was watching it with me and my grandfather, and I could tell he was trying to be discrete...

Totally called him out on it. But, as Ryan said, "It's a f*cking dog dying...do you know how sad that is?!?"

Point made.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

Yep, the list is long...... I'll go one further though. Every time I hear our national anthem.
    Denise

We have enough youth - how about a fountain of smart......