Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

I have been thinking about therapy now for about 3 years. I am leaning toward doing it. I have found a few therapists here who take LGBT patients.

Has it been worthwhile for you?

Anna

The general consensus on this forum is that it can do nothing but help you . I myself haven't done it yet because i'm still on my parents insurance and there are few lbgt therapist in Oklahoma but i hope to soon .

I've done six years of therapy and it was worth every penny. Sometimes it's a hard road, but to me it always felt like the only true road to take. I hope you go for it and can take the best out of it. Good luck and don't forget to enjoy the ride =^.^=

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Yes it gave me someone to talk to and get advice from who is neutral.

Hugs
    Trisha

It's always good to talk things out with someone who is trained to help you. Great luck.
    Cary

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I think Christina is right. Therapy, with the right person, can do nothing but help you. I did take therapy many years ago, and found it interesting and very helpful! If you can afford it, then go for it!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I have only been seeing a gender counselor for a few weeks but it has definitely helped me. This last week I have worked out a lot of issues that I needed to deal with and am starting to see a path forward. See my story here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...nder-Therapist

Christina, there are good gender therapists in Oklahoma City, they just aren't listed that way on the insurance and psycology websites I have looked at. Private Message me and I'll see if I can get you some therapists contact info.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just sharing information.
    Last edited by Pamela Kay; 12-04-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Pam

"I am a stronger woman than I ever was a man." Living full time since Oct 14th 2012.

Thanks all for your input. I have just sent an email to a local therapist who claims to work with LGBT patients.

Anna

If you're not already a student of psychology, then you should definitely talk to a good professional gender therapist. Sadly, by the time I found one, there wasn't much I didn't already know, so I wasn't willing to spend $150 a week on the odd chance I'd learn something new.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Anna, I'd like to add to those who say therapy can only help. When I came out to my SO we agreed I would go see a therapist to help me understand and deal with my thoughts and it has really helped. I've had about 4 sessions so far and it's given me a lot more confidence in myself and gone a long way to removing the guilt cycle which can be so damaging!

I was lucky enough to find a therapist straight away who I felt comfortable talking to and who was also experienced enough to be able to really help me. If you find the first therapist you speak to doesn't do the same for you then don't be afraid to explain things aren't right and find someone else. They will understand.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Lorree View Post
    Thanks all for your input. I have just sent an email to a local therapist who claims to work with LGBT patients.

Anna
    Remember, if you do not care for this one, go find another one until you find someone you can work with. It isn't so much that you will learn something new from a therapist but they can help you sort out all of the junk blocking your way to making healthy informed decisions about yourself.

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    The big ticket here is finding one that wants / can help.
    I have seen a few over the years, some start great then actualy make me feel worse later on.
    Expect some pain in explaining parts of your life that may not be so great, but also expect a weight off your sholders to actualy be able to talk to someone. Have a goal for each visit and make that clear at the start of each visit. Keep a notebook (in safe place) and read it before and after each visit. I always took mine with me and discuss the past week and how my goals were achived or missed.

Above all you must be honest and yourself. at some point a good therapest will want you come in dressed.. in effect to ask how you feel/look/see yourself different.

Silver Member
    Yes, I have a better understanding of my needs and how to work them into my life. Be sure your therapist has experience and training in gender expression. I spent tens of hundreds educating several therapists until I found a group that was GLBT. They should avoid labels and should understand the vast variety of gender expression needs. Good luck!

I made contact with a therapist via email, telling her about my situation. She replied, saying she is taking new clients and encouraged me to make an appointment. She advertises that she sees LGBT patients, so hopefully I won't have to educate her. She also does marital counseling, which I want for my wife and I.

Anna

Silver Member
    Glad to hear you may have found a qualified person. Trust your instincts, if it doesn't seem so move on. The big difference I noticed when I found a good one was their clear acceptance. A dead give away is anyfetish inferences or encouragement to stay hidden. You may need/want to stay closeted but that shouldn't be her suggestion beforehand.

I also agree that if nothing else a therapist will give you a person to talk to who is non-judgemental and may offer some helpful insights. As others have said, if one doesn't work out, try another, therapy is a very personal thing, some personalities may not work for you. One thing I will warn you about is if you are seeing a therapist for your personal issues then they probably won't see you as a couple becasue of a bias that may develop. Good luck.......Stephanie

I've had a few therapists for various issues throughout the years. I'm currently in counseling over my gender issue, and it's going very, very well. My bad therapy experiences have been my fault (not willing to present the real issues about what's bothering me) or the therapist's (jumping too quickly to solutions, wanting to be the center of the attention when it's my psyche that's there to be worked on). The good ones usually have no agenda of their own, are great listeners, and have a way of putting together connections that you are saying but that you don't realize are there. The good ones are also tough questioners and don't let you off the hook with the usual "i dunno" that suffices everywhere else.

I haven't gone to a specific "gender identity therapist" but I think that's a good idea as long as such a person doesn't come with a clear agenda (needing to make sure you transition when you aren't ready to do that, etc.).

All my best wishes. I honestly think good therapy keeps my spirit alive right now.

elizabethamy