Thread: Real ladies, do you take the clothing for granted?

Real ladies, do you take the clothing for granted?

I was wondering......

I see all kinds of reasons posted on these boards that suggest why many of us crossdress. These reasons vary from the mundane, like "it's fun" to the very serious, like "I'm transexual, and this is how I express my true self". One of these reasons sometimes alluded to is the tactile sensation of the clothing itself. Others are style, variation, feminine allure, forbidden fruit (guys aren't allowed to wear dresses!), and just the overall feeling that such clothing gives to the wearer.

When guys dress up, it's always a variation of the same thing: jacket and tie, jacket and tie, jacket and tie. Women, however, have the infinite to choose from. No question, the world of women's fashion allows the ladies a lot of variation from which to choose. If clothing is truly something that one really likes to indulge in, it pays to be female.

I like putting on a suit and a tie. I don't wear one that often, but I know that my wife likes how I look when I'm all decked out that way, and I like it that she likes it. It makes me feel handsome, and good inside. Clothing should do that for you, or at least nice clothing should.

But so often, back in the day when my wife used to dress nicely every day for work, I'd compliment her on her dress (yeah, go figure me appreciating a nice dress ...), and she'd say something like, "It's just a dress." Exactly. She saw nothing all that special in it. But men look their best in a jacket and a tie (yawn!), and women look their best when wearing a dress. I know, there are some very elegant pants outfits. Whatever. Women look their best when wearing dresses.

And of course, while women can wear pants, men cannot wear dresses. Men don't get ruffles, or frillies, or pretties, or lace. Not if you're following the rules, anyway. It's forbidden fruit to us. Untouchable. We're not even supposed to think about it. Some guys (supposedly) don't. Then there are the few (or many) of us who tried it, liked it, and never left it.

I've often said on these boards that I'd rather have been born female. But one reason I never transitioned, and came to some inner peace over the decision, is that much of the allure that womanhood has for me is because of the wonderful clothing. I love wearing ladies' clothing, and I'm especially enamored of pretty dresses. I enjoy skirts as well, and heels and hosiery. I love it. But sometimes I wonder if I'd been a woman instead of a man, I might not like the clothing quite so much. I may well take the wearing of pretty dresses for granted, and opt to do so only on rare occasions, like so many women do these days.

So fess up, ladies. Tell the truth. Do you take your societal right to wear such clothing for granted? Or do you experience a genuine appreciation for the gift that has been given you, to be able to wear these beautiful things with impunity, to select from the infinite and make yourself pretty whenever the whim takes you?

I'm not bashing on you girls, you real women, you GGs, as we call you here. Not in the least. I'm very glad you're all here, and I feel that we're quite blessed to have you in our midst. I have a genuine appreciation for your presence here, and I marvel at your initiative to try and understand this strange behavior of ours. So when considering this post, please try to smile, and understand the draw that crossdressing has for us, men who have been denied the privilege of wearing these things, lest we be deemed sissies, queers, and perverts. I'm just wondering, that's all. A poke in the ribs. Truth or dare.

So you take it for granted? Do you?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

ive always admired womens clothing and dresses etc.. but a few things that has always just kinda slowed me down.. #1 I have never really been happy with my own body.. I have horrible body image I admit.. when I was stick thin I could pick something out that would make the whole outfit look wrong.. and now that I have a few extra pounds (although by the Dr standards I am not over weight) I am too self concious still to wear something that I think looks lovely hanging or in a magazine. I think total I have found maybe 2 or 3 dresses that I really just loved and I felt I looked good in them. #2 is money.. Im super bad at spending any money on myself. I see TONS of stuff in the store that I would love to own and wear and I know I deserve it but I cant bring myself to buy it for myself. (shoes included too.. there are SO many shoes I love).. I reason in my head that the money would be better spent on my kids or my husband or something for the house before myself.. I like to surprise them with stuff too.. but yes I think if I didnt have to worry about a budget and just be carefree I would be buying myself a lot more and my closet would have a lot of nicer clothing in it.. but buying for myself is just hard for me.. hard to explain.
    I love the fact that my husband can piss me off and make me laugh within seconds of each other!
    I can handle being alone, but doesn't want to be married and feeling alone.
    The only reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because you don't have to mow that lawn.
    Husbands are like children, they behave best when they are sleeping.
    It's always nice when your husband just looks at you and tells you out of the blue, "You are Beautiful"

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea_GG View Post
    I reason in my head that the money would be better spent on my kids or my husband or something for the house before myself..
    Gosh! that is so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea_GG View Post
    I have never really been happy with my own body.. I have horrible body image I admit..
    Most women have bad eyes; they just can't see how truly beautiful they are. And what keeps one truly happy is the attitude & confidence, not the perceived beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by sara.s View Post
    And what keeps one truly happy is the attitude & confidence, not the perceived beauty.
    I love this statement. Ty Sara!
    I love the fact that my husband can piss me off and make me laugh within seconds of each other!
    I can handle being alone, but doesn't want to be married and feeling alone.
    The only reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because you don't have to mow that lawn.
    Husbands are like children, they behave best when they are sleeping.
    It's always nice when your husband just looks at you and tells you out of the blue, "You are Beautiful"

No. I personally do not take my freedom for granted. I wear dresses almost every day... I only own two pairs of dress pants but my dresses and skirts fill two closets and two armoires. Most of them are silk. I complain regularly and angrily about the laziness of mens dressing habits in general. If only i could just dress them all. If only i could convince them of the evils of polo shirts. but none of them listen to me. I truly feel that men should wear dresses to the office and i try to encourage them to do so but the most interesting things i have been able to talk any of them into are a handlebar moustache and bow ties. I BEG men to try to be different and wear what they want to wear but they wont. I dont know exactly what it is about me that makes people want to confess things but i KNOW that many men want to wear more unique things, including dresses to work or parties. But i just wonder what keeps them from it?? If more men wore what they wanted, then the others wouldnt have anything to fear. yeah it would be hard for the first few... Like for the first few womens libbers... But as time passed, things would get better. Easier. But they dont want to. Even cd'ers on here talk often about how drab and blah and dreary and depressing mens clothes are and how they hate to shop for them and wear them etc. Well i would too if my only options were vomit worthy polos and button ups. But i kinda wish i WAS a man. I would darn well fight back. And i am not talking about pink button ups or silk boxers. these are still boring and totally icky. I used to work with a guy who would frequently wear orange heels to work with capri pants because it did not violate dress code and he thought it was unfair that women could dress this way in summer and men did not. I loved it that he wore these things and told him so. Did everyone love it? No! And some people made comments about him behind his back but one thing is for sure. The next guy wearing heels that any of my coworkers ever happen to run into wont be as novel of an idea to them. Theyll think its weird still for sure. But not AS weird because theyve seen it before. Guys! I BEG YOU. Wear velvet to work!! Go and look for feminine shoes and wear them to work! Not "nice mens shoes in fun colors". But not womens either. Just some nice sexy kitten pumps with lovely straps like my old coworkers. Break all the haters down slowly till they wouldnt bat an eye even if you wore a dress. I promise i have your back. I will fight with you. We stand together. We should all be allowed to be pretty and sensual if we want to! :-)

Sweet Pea, my wife also suffers from a low self-image, the result of a car accident that left a scar on her eye, and weight gain she incurred after the death of her only son. To me, she is still beautiful. One philosopher I once read summed it up beautifully when he suggested that a woman's beauty did not come from the trappings, the makeup and the jewelry; to be female is enough. Women are beautiful in their inception. Perhaps you are too hard on yourself, the result of excessive societal conditioning that suggests that unless a woman looks like Barbie, she's somehow deficient in her appearance. Hogwash.

Closerthanthis, the world needs more women like you. I love your attitude, and I feel the same way. Sigh.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Breathing is vital to life, but I admit I take it for granted.

I took youth for granted.

I took good heath for granted.

I took having a great metabolism for granted.

We, most of us, will see things as being better over there [the grass is always greener effect]

Of course I take many many wonderful things for granted.

But please know that for many women the choice in clothing isn't as limitless as some believe them to be.

Many things come into play when choosing clothes. Most models are a very tiny size. Standing say 5' 10" and weighing in at say 110. But the average female is 5' 5" and 160. So you see, very few of us have bodies that rate a 10. lol The clothes are not actually designed for my body or any average woman's body. Even if I buy them they will never hang as well on my body. lol See the problem we have when fantasy meets reality?

Banned Read only
    I really don't know what you mean by "real ladies" but I'll give my perspective as an intersexed female.

Before I transitioned I never dressed in women's clothing because the angst, pain and severe depression that followed from me taking off that clothing and returning to mens clothing was too much to deal with.

In my first two years of living full time I purchased dresses, shoes, skirts, whatever else I could get my hands on to wear.

This was my way of healing from not being able to be myself for so long.

Now five years into full time I might wear makeup 20 % of the time and opt for pant suites over dresses and wear jeans and running shoes most of my time off.

Do I take my clothes for granted? From your perspective it's an obsession and for some a "turn on ".

From my perspective their just clothes, there's nothing for me to take for granted.

This is the disconnect that many full time TS/IS people have with everyone else under that umbrella.

Go to a Gender conference and look at CD's with all their makeup, wigs, ball gowns and heels.

Then take a look at those that are Full time IS/TS.

Most of them are very conservative in what their wearing.

Most of my friends and I that attending the Keystone Conference wore pant suites and jeans.

I don't spend half a day in front of the mirror to go somewhere, I don't have the time.

Make no mistake, I look extremely well heeled when I go anywhere because it's not what you wear as how you wear it.

I don't take anything for granted because there's nothing to take for granted.

Julia

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RACH99 View Post
    Breathing is vital to life, but I admit I take it for granted.

I took youth for granted.

I took good heath for granted.

I took having a great metabolism for granted.

We, most of us, will see things as being better over there [the grass is always greener effect]

Of course I take many many wonderful things for granted.

But please know that for many women the choice in clothing isn't as limitless as some believe them to be.

Many things come into play when choosing clothes. Most models are a very tiny size. Standing say 5' 10" and weighing in at say 110. But the average female is 5' 5" and 160. So you see, very few of us have bodies that rate a 10. lol The clothes are not actually designed for my body or any average woman's body. Even if I buy them they will never hang as well on my body. lol See the problem we have when fantasy meets reality?
    OMG. This is so true.

I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy getting dressed up to go out. But day to day? It's just like anyone else. Jeans and tops. Business casual for work. That can get pretty routine. But I went out to dinner last night. Yes. I enjoyed dressing up. And I enjoyed shopping for my outfit. And I enjoyed the compliments I got at dinner. So I don't take that part of my clothing routine for granted. I put some significant effort into my look last night and I got some significant pleasure from it.

S

Banned Read only
    I am not a GG but I have been a woman longer than I was a man. For me the cloths I wear have nothing to do with the feelings I get from wearing them. Yes, I will admit that some styles do make me feel prettier than others but that is because of the way I look rather than feel.

Most days you will find me in a woman’s business suit with a skirt rather than pants or a nice dress and 3”- 4” heels. This is because I am a business woman and should look the part, don’t you think? It also depends on my location. If I am in the office, I am wearing a skirt or dress and heels. If I am out on a job site, I wear pants and work boots. A dress or skirt and heels is not an option for the work site. They are dangerous in this situation. Work boots and jeans are not an option for a meeting with a client unless it is at the work site. Outside of work you will find me wearing whatever the weather dictates. It could be shorts and a tee shirt or flannel lined pants and a sweatshirt. If I am going out to an event or party I dress according to the venue and function of the outing. Believe me, if it calls for a cute little slinky dress that is what I wear.

I think for most women clothing is something we wear to keep from being arrested for public indecency. We all have a look or style that we like but it isn’t something that is worn simply because it feels good against our freshly shaved body.
    Last edited by Jorja; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 AM.

I'm not really sure if I take it for granted. I know I can wear what I like and that's pretty cool.

For the first time in my life I'm actually going out in a posh dress tonight. I've never been to a prom or a fancy do where I had to dress my absolute best before so its a first for me. Its great to dress up nice and all, but I'm actually more excited about seeing my partner in his suit. He is just one of those men who looks drop dead gorgeous when he is dressed to the nines and I all I want to do is just hang off him all night. I'm proud to have him standing next to me. Is that bad of me?
    I really want photos of us looking our best so we can look back when we are older and admire ourselves. We don't have many photos. Dressing up is nice, but having a legitimate reason to dress up is wonderful.

At the end of the day though clothing isn't really that important to me I mean I do like it to an extent but my greatest passion in life is arts and crafts, so I spent the majority of time and money making things for the pure love of it all. I guess that means I do take dressing up for granted, but there are worst things to take for granted. My health is pretty bad, but It could be far worse and I count those blessings everyday.
    I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome!

Complete Geek and Girl gamer.

Sweetpea, I think you rock, now we need to get you thinking that way too. Men can help in that area, so if your SO would take you out and buy pretty dresses and such for you I think it would help. When you have hubby and SA's telling you how good you look, pretty soon you think so too. If God had made anything prettier than a woman He would have kept it to Himself.

I am a cd. From my point of view, human in nature like pretty things. I crossdress simply because I want to look pretty and cute. And to look pretty and cute is just simply a nono for man.

I could not agree more. Options for what to wear for a man are very slim as for a woman there is a great variety of thing to wear and assesories to choose from. I love just to wear a dress and high heels, it is one things that makes me feel free inside and most of all it is sooooo comfortable to wear. There are so many looks from Goth to the professional look to choose. When some people take something for granted in this case wearing certain type of clothing, for people that appreicate it and may not have the same opportunity to wear such an outfit can only envy them of their good fortune. Shirt and ties are sooo dull.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    So fess up, ladies. Tell the truth. Do you take your societal right to wear such clothing for granted? Or do you experience a genuine appreciation for the gift that has been given you, to be able to wear these beautiful things with impunity, to select from the infinite and make yourself pretty whenever the whim takes you?
    Some clothes I take for granted, such as the items I wear every day. There's nothing special about a cashmere sweater that has been worn dozens if not hundreds of time. I used to work in an office and I had a very nice wardrobe, comprised mostly of few, but high quality pieces. I enjoyed the outfits when they were new, but after I had worn them a few times they did seem like they were "just a dress", or "just a suit" to me, especially the seasons following my initial purchase.

I don't know how to explain this, but most of us GGs don't put as great an emphasis on the clothes as do CDers. I mean, we can look at ourselves in the mirror before we leave and appreciate a proper fit, the polish or the professionalism, or the sexy look (if we go out clubbing for example) of a particular outfit, but once it's on and we're out the door, we really don't think about the clothes much ... or at least I don't. The evening is more about the event and the people who are there. I'm assuming my friends feel the same way ... so if I'm in a good mood I'll have a great evening, and if I'm not I won't, no matter what I have on.

I don't want this to seem as if I am bragging or anything, but I am lucky enough to have been born with the right genes to have a tall, slim body (5' 9", size 8, 6' tall in heels). And so when I get something new that is special such as my new body hugging, wrap silk dress I recently bought on sale (and not so much my skinny jeans/sweaters/tops/casual summer skirts I wear daily), I know that I look good and that my body proportions set the dress off to its advantage. But still, after the once-over in the mirror before I leave, I go out and forget about what is on my back. Almost all women know when they walk through a room, if men are paying attention and sometimes this happens to me. But, I don't put this down to just the clothes, or just my hair (it is mid-back), or the shoes, or the makeup. I think that if men look at me, they look at the whole picture and the biggest part of this I believe is the body language ... this essence that springs forth from inside me that is a very positive outlook on life and the people that I meet, a willingness to look at them in the eye and engage them, shoulders held back, open eyes and smile, etc.

So .. I can get admiring glances when I am wearing a silk dress with killer heels, and I can also get them when I am wearing a well-fitted pair of jeans and a leather jacket. I don't know if I'm explaining this properly, but it's not about the clothes for me.

So getting back to your original question, I don't think this is taking the clothes for granted. I do take care to choose styles that look good on me, and I do pay attention to the fit, the quality, the overall aesthetics. But, I'm not enthralled with the clothes like so many CDers here seem to be. My priorities are elsewhere. I guess it's like acquiring a new piece of furniture or electronic. At first there will be pride in ownership, but after a while it will be just a part of me and my household.

I posted a thread in the Clothing section some months back about 8 pieces of clothing I had purchased from the catalog, purecollection.com. I was so thrilled, but not about the prospect of wearing the clothes, just that I had gotten them at such a great price! lol Some of the items were 70% off and I felt as if I had gotten away with something. It turned out that half the items were too big and I had to return them. I wasn't sad about this, in fact I was rather happy to get the refund, thus my initial purchase only ended up being half as much!

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I'm not bashing on you girls, you real women, you GGs, as we call you here. Not in the least. I'm very glad you're all here, and I feel that we're quite blessed to have you in our midst. I have a genuine appreciation for your presence here, and I marvel at your initiative to try and understand this strange behavior of ours. So when considering this post, please try to smile, and understand the draw that crossdressing has for us, men who have been denied the privilege of wearing these things, lest we be deemed sissies, queers, and perverts. I'm just wondering, that's all.
    Not to worry!!! If anyone thinks this is a bashing post, it's their problem, not yours. I do understand why you'd wonder about this.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by CloserthanthisGG View Post
    No. I personally do not take my freedom for granted. I wear dresses almost every day... I only own two pairs of dress pants but my dresses and skirts fill two closets and two armoires. Most of them are silk. I complain regularly and angrily about the laziness of mens dressing habits in general. If only i could just dress them all. If only i could convince them of the evils of polo shirts. but none of them listen to me. I truly feel that men should wear dresses to the office and i try to encourage them to do so but the most interesting things i have been able to talk any of them into are a handlebar moustache and bow ties. I BEG men to try to be different and wear what they want to wear but they wont. I dont know exactly what it is about me that makes people want to confess things but i KNOW that many men want to wear more unique things, including dresses to work or parties. But i just wonder what keeps them from it?? If more men wore what they wanted, then the others wouldnt have anything to fear. yeah it would be hard for the first few... Like for the first few womens libbers... But as time passed, things would get better. Easier. But they dont want to. Even cd'ers on here talk often about how drab and blah and dreary and depressing mens clothes are and how they hate to shop for them and wear them etc. Well i would too if my only options were vomit worthy polos and button ups. But i kinda wish i WAS a man. I would darn well fight back. And i am not talking about pink button ups or silk boxers. these are still boring and totally icky. I used to work with a guy who would frequently wear orange heels to work with capri pants because it did not violate dress code and he thought it was unfair that women could dress this way in summer and men did not. I loved it that he wore these things and told him so. Did everyone love it? No! And some people made comments about him behind his back but one thing is for sure. The next guy wearing heels that any of my coworkers ever happen to run into wont be as novel of an idea to them. Theyll think its weird still for sure. But not AS weird because theyve seen it before. Guys! I BEG YOU. Wear velvet to work!! Go and look for feminine shoes and wear them to work! Not "nice mens shoes in fun colors". But not womens either. Just some nice sexy kitten pumps with lovely straps like my old coworkers. Break all the haters down slowly till they wouldnt bat an eye even if you wore a dress. I promise i have your back. I will fight with you. We stand together. We should all be allowed to be pretty and sensual if we want to! :-)
    OMG, I love this woman!

I kind of know what you mean - as a girl I want to dress almost outrageously (but tastefully, of course), knowing that there really aren't any limits on what I can wear.

As a guy, though, I feel very inhibited, perhaps because I've always felt it necessary to hide my feminine side and taking too much interest in fashion etc I guess I felt was too much that way - if I started taking that much interest, I might give away that I had way too much knowledge than a "normal" guy, and people might start questioning. But inside I've had the longing to be pretty and sensual, as you wonderfully put it

But of course, I'd love to live in a society where anyone can wear anything without fear, and I suspect many "non-CD" guys would wear much more outrageous than they might currently. So I'm with you! just as soon as I can get myself out of this closet that I appear to be in

Caroline

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolineM View Post
    I kind of know what you mean - as a girl I want to dress almost outrageously (but tastefully, of course), knowing that there really aren't any limits on what I can wear.

As a guy, though, I feel very inhibited, perhaps because I've always felt it necessary to hide my feminine side and taking too much interest in fashion etc I guess I felt was too much that way - if I started taking that much interest, I might give away that I had way too much knowledge than a "normal" guy, and people might start questioning. But inside I've had the longing to be pretty and sensual, as you wonderfully put it

But of course, I'd love to live in a society where anyone can wear anything without fear, and I suspect many "non-CD" guys would wear much more outrageous than they might currently. So I'm with you! just as soon as I can get myself out of this closet that I appear to be in

Caroline
    I'll send you the GPS coordinates to the door.

Yay! Hugs! thankies