Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing vs Transvestism

A major part of the dilemma here...is that many of us have different definitions/interpretations of the terms - "crossdresser" & "transvestite".
    Not that it really matters, and not that everyone is ever likely to agree on any kind of definition. Let's remember that these are just labels, and they really don't mean a damn thing..."labels" don't change what's inside us.

Bottom line...we're all individuals with different goals, desires, reasons for cd-ing, etc. There will probably be few times when everyone will universally agree in these threads. But, if we can at least make an effort to understand each other, that's a start...

Look, the terms "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are exactly the same thing. The deliniation being made for those who find sexual excitement in it has not necessarily been given a definitive term. The bottom line here is that whether one finds feminine clothing erotic or not, we are still genetically male persons who dress up as and emulate females. If you want to get all technical, so be it. But dr1819 would have us all believe, is ACHING to have us believe, that he is different because he wears "male" high heels and skirts. Oh, please! If anything, that makes him/her/whatever very different from all the others I have seen here. Keep your silly labels, and check the URL of this site again. We're all crossdressers, whether you like that label or not. If you want to say you're different simply because you don't get a sexual charge out of it, well fine then.

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billijo49504
    Sorry dear, you confused me. I guess we can all label ourselves what we want to. I choose to label myself as human. Have a good day.
    The point is, only about 10% of here on this site, fit into a stero-typical label set forth by society. There are infinite points on a line.... Do you know which way the train went? Neither did our gender at birth...
    DK Productions LLC, Giving back to the Rainbow Community. Need a DJ, Every Song Has a Story, We Make The Memory

Banned Read only
    [SIZE=3]Do you notice topics like this are always started yet the topic starter never jumps in to add anything. Almost like they planned it.[/SIZE]

From the Waist Down Rainbow6562005's Avatar

An appreciation

For Frilly: thank you!

My only comment is about psychiatry, where almost anything people do is labeled a disorder. Leave us alone! I read recently that even menstrual cramps are being considered a mental disorder!

I propose a new mental illness for DMV-whatever number: Labelism (also known as Pecksniff's Disease): A set of symptoms of a disorder belonging to the Obsessive-Compulsive group. Its principal sign is an overwhelming addiction to creating new mental defects. Treatment: a muzzle.

Rainbow
    PS. I am no Tom Cruise! Psychiatry has some valid uses, like treating psychoses.
    Who's going to decide how you live: your parents? wife/husband? teachers? priests? politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla
    Look, the terms "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are exactly the same thing.
    Marla-
    Have you ever visited the "My Husband Betty" forum? They will set you straight in about 1 second that these two terms definitely do NOT have the same meaning. No, I'm not endorsing that their definitions at all, just telling you that there is much confusion out there.

that he is different because he wears "male" high heels and skirts
    "male" high heels and skirts Do NOT exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Raines
    [SIZE=3]Do you notice topics like this are always started yet the topic starter never jumps in to add anything. Almost like they planned it.[/SIZE]
    Someone should have probably picked up on it. As it turns out, this thread was classic troll bait. :mad: You'll probably never see the person who started it post here again.

Kathryn,

I think you and Amy are right. I doubt there will be any more posts from this character. I suspect DR1819 is just some college student having a laugh at our expense.

By the way, I threw in my post #7 (the material there I originally wrote some 3 years ago) as a humorous attempt to show that worrying about labels doesn't really get you anywhere. I am surprised this went on as long as it did, becoming such a serious debate.
    Phoebe

Great stuff Rainbow!! #30.. rofl

Kathryn..Capital letters or not, Marla is one of the few that has her logic intact and has not sucumbed to the pandemic confusion.

e.g. "l'automobile" and "car" cannot credibly be adopted as defining the difference between a "convertable" and a "sedan", no matter how many "disordered" people seek to repeat the error.

No such thing as male skirts? visit "Men in skirts.com"..hardly a crossdresser to be found!

Ellaine
    Nothing human can be alien to me.

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
    -William Blake

"Anyone who knows how to run a household, knows how to run the world."
    -- Xilonem Garcia, a Meshika elder in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Ellaine
    No such thing as male skirts? visit "Men in skirts.com"..hardly a crossdresser to be found!
    Sure, you can find anything on the internet if you look long enough. Come to the midwest and tell me how many normal men you see walking around in skirts... It simply ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynW
    Sure, you can find anything on the internet if you look long enough. Come to the midwest and tell me how many normal men you see walking around in skirts... It simply ain't gonna happen.

I don't think you bothered to look. Some of those guys eat girders by the look of them

How many trannies do you see wandering about? Doesn't mean much does it?

Ellaine

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
    -William Blake

I don't think you bothered to look. Some of those guys eat girders by the look of them How many trannies do you see wandering about? Doesn't mean much does it? Ellaine
    You're missing the point. Point is...you won't see normal everyday run-of-the-mill guys walking around wearing skirts & heels. It simply doesn't and won't ever happen.

You're missing the point. Point is...you won't see normal everyday run-of-the-mill guys walking around wearing skirts & heels. It simply doesn't and won't ever happen.

Katheryn I concede your point whatever it was, because I wouldn't know "an everyday run of the mill guy" if I sat on one!

-William Blake

Katheryn I concede your point whatever it was, because I wouldn't know "an everyday run of the mill guy" if I sat on one!
    Really? Well maybe y'all are different across the pond. never been there, so I dunno...

Banned Read only
    tv or crosdressers , does'nt mstter! the point is that we should be confident enough !!!
    and if ur confident than nothing can fear u .

the doc lost me on that one????
    the reason i dress in womens clothes is because i like the feeling of looking like a women and feeling like a women. if im going to be labeled as something its a women , hot sexy women at that ... and im never going to change who i am period. for anyone!
    the only difference in me as a CD and a transvestite is an transvestite takes being a women to the next level by physical transfermation such as implants, hormones, and sex change. which i have no problem with! if thats what makes you feel what you are and want to be "do it"

lace

Dr1819,

I think you'll find it is the urge behind this dressing, and not the act itself that identifies us as a group:

People who don't believe their gender matches their outside appearance... Not everyone is like this, I grant you. Yes, they are transvestites. (Those with a sexual desire to dress.) However, transgendered folk are doing it to be themselves... the opposite sex!

Hence, you're arguement is about clothing and it's transferance between the sexes during time?

If trousers were an all-female item of clothing, we'd all be wanting to wear trousers!!! My point is: whatever femininity could be, if it were not what we understand it as today, then we'd seek it out anyway! It's not just because they are skirts - the desire to dress in them comes from a desire to be (or resemble,) what is connoted with the skirt.

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow6562005
    I read recently that even menstrual cramps are being considered a mental disorder!
    A man came up with that conclusion, no doubt.

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

What's your point, DR1819?

If you don't want to be labeled a crossdresser/transvestite, why do you wear your heels/skirts at all? Sounds to me like you are CD/TV, but just trying to justify not labeling yourself as such.

Otherwise what's the point of your post?

Mitzi

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitzi
    Otherwise what's the point of your post?
    Trolling? I don't say that lightly, but as Amy said, it's kind of interesting how she hasn't bother to say anything else.

Martina Navritolova said it a few years back... Labels are for filing, labels are for clothes, labels aren't for people.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

As noted by some others here, it is interesting to observe how we all seem to try and label whatever it is we are.

All of this activity we are trying to label is really a continuum. It can start with thoughts of what it would be like to have the body of a woman, without even putting on any woman's clothes, and evolve into GRS, or anywhere along the way.

When we try to label human behavior, it's like trying to put the round peg in a square hole: it almost fits, kinda sorta. It's when that square hole, after we've jammed the round peg into it, is then declared a rule, or worse, a law, that we really get into trouble

Labels are convenient linguistic tools, but they make lousy cubicles.

Me? I'm somewhere between then and there, so I must be here.

Sherry
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're right
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Darla Dahlstrom
    Trolling? I don't say that lightly, but as Amy said, it's kind of interesting how she hasn't bother to say anything else.
    This thread was started by a person who set out troll bait. Plain & simple.

This thread was started by a person who set out troll bait. Plain & simple.

Even if that is true, so what? You have to admit it has become rather interesting.

Sherry
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're right
    Henry Ford

I don't know if it is troll bait. I started this thread about a year ago. I've seen it several times since then. I think it's just as legitimate as any other topic. Afterall, how many times are we going to discuss "when was the first time you wore girlie clothes?" and all of the other droll topics that pop up every three weeks. Crossdresser or Transvestite? The last time I saw this topic discussed somebody mentioned that Transvestite sounded dirty to them. Oh, well. By the way, ..............

yeah.. more unnessesary "angst"
    "lables" and such..
    friggin .. GET OVER IT !!! ???
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "