Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: labels...

labels...

am i just weird, or is the term "transvestite", or "tranny" slightly offensive to any of you? i can't say i really dig being called either of these. really i just prefer "cross-dresser. what do you gurls like to be called?

Absolutely! I, too, prefer "cross dresser." I think "tranny" is way more than 'slightly' offensive.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Hi natalie,

You might try a couple of searches, as this has been covered a few times. I suppose that these terms mean slightly different things, depending on where you live. Personally, I prefer TG or transgenered to transvestite or tranny. I'm okay with crossdresser too. YMMV
    Dana Ryan

your right, shoulda searched it... it seem tho when i here some of these other terms i get a picture of herbert the pervert or somthing goin on in my head, and then i feel like a sicko, even tho i got no reason to.

TG is fine with me, but some confuse it for TS which i am not.
    Last edited by Nigella; 12-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.

you are right i don,t like to be called a transvestite or transgenered i am a crossdesser but i thank i prefer to be called a hybird crossover

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    Crossdresser... thats enough

I really hate labels.

I have read that:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), transvestite is defined as:

a person, typically a man, who derives pleasure from dressing in clothes appropriate to the opposite sex.

Crossdresser, in the same dictionary, is defined as:

a person who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.

( http://ts-si.org/guest-columns/28598...-as-pejorative )

Now, according to those definitions I'm probably a Crossdresser. The OED appears not to specify whether the pleasure derived is of a sexual nature or not. If it is, then I'm a Crossdresser (because I enjoy the experience in a non-sexual manner). If it isn't then I'm a transvestite. It's really nice to know where you stand on these things. :-)
    **-* Kath *-**
    Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

I agree with you, but also understand that the word "transvestite" is what is also used in the UK for meaning crossdresser. I prefer transgender and am fine with crossdresser. I understand using "tranny" between friends in a light way, but when used by some on this board, more in the TS section, I think that it is used in a negative way, which to me is unfortunate choice of words that makes it seem that one is better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by natalie james View Post
    ... what do you gurls like to be called?
    No more offensive than "gurls", just sayin'.
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 12-11-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    No more offensive than "gurls", just sayin'.
    i stand corrected just a term i have heard used alot between other CD people on the internet.

I was talking to another gal about this same thing. For me these days I feel like I am "crossdressing" when I see my self in the mirror with out some makeup on - hate it! Transgender Woman is a apt description of me or TransLady. From what I have read, I thought "Transvestite" had some sexual connotation to it - the clothes "turn ya on" - I was probably there once. I think T-Girl is great term that I use frequently on various forums....

http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Quote Originally Posted by natalie james View Post
    i stand corrected just a term i have heard used alot between other CD people on the internet.
    No worries, I'm sure some find that term to be fine. Others, not so much.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by MsCheriMarie View Post
    I was talking to another gal about this same thing. For me these days I feel like I am "crossdressing" when I see my self in the mirror with out some makeup on - hate it! Transgender Woman is a apt description of me or TransLady. From what I have read, I thought "Transvestite" had some sexual connotation to it - the clothes "turn ya on" - I was probably there once. I think T-Girl is great term that I use frequently on various forums....

http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender
    t-girl is fun. can't say i derive any sexual pleasure from dressing. if that was the case i would understand exactly why i need to do it.

Not really offended by Transvestite or Tranny, but like you, I'd prefer to be called a crossdresser. The definition of CD seems to be most appropriate for me, but having said that, I'm not really a fan of labelling certain groups etc.

I typed crossdresser into Wikipedia the other day which led to transvestite which led to transsexual which led to….. well you get the picture, so I like to be called Suzy.

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    I just look forward to the day where I am just accepted and do not have to hear a label. But it will probably will not be in my life time.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveday View Post
    I just look forward to the day where I am just accepted and do not have to hear a label. But it will probably will not be in my life time.
    my sentiments exactly.

I try to avoid using labels to define myself seeing labels as a method of group classification describing traits, behaviors, characteristics, ect... Labels have the potential to be dehumanizing because we are individuals not groups. Many of these words are used as expressions of hate and contempt and I always avoid people who define themselves in relation to a group adopting it's prejudice and us against them mentality.

When people label me they are placing a plastic bag over my head and trying to suffocate my humanity.

Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain.

I'm offended by any term you might use, any term used in the past and any term you come up with in the future. So there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    I'm offended by any term you might use, any term used in the past and any term you come up with in the future. So there!!!!
    lol! i understand just fine

I guess I am ok with any of the term. I dont have problems with labels because we all use them. Male, female, son, daughter, friend lover they are all labels. We all can be labeled in a 100 different ways. Now as for me I think transvestite sounds so scientific. Its kind of like calling me a homosapien. Tranny sounds a little more slang and colorful. Crossdresser is fine as well. T-gurl I have used in the past. Bi- closeted can be another.
    Last edited by msginaadoll; 12-11-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Banned Read only
    I prefer crossdresser. It is perfectly descriptive of what I am. Tranny can mean many things. Transvestite is just too academic but accurate.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Labels, everyone dislikes them, but we all have to fall back on them. Prefer Cross Dresser. Accept transgendered as I am coming to understand, and can recognize the friendly banter such as TGurl. So while transvestite may be the academic's term we can change their minds, and I think too many negatives attach to that term

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I prefer Trans Gender or Trans (insert your choice here). Aren't we trying to emulate our opposite gender? Just a thought...

OOOO,
    Tanga

New Member from Scotland paulinescotlandcd's Avatar
    Not bothered one way or another.