Thread: Out on the town

Out on the town

So after my week of dressing up I figured I'd be done for a few months. However, this time around I had to take a business trip to San Antonio directly after my girl week. So I decided to bring along a few of my girl things so I could continue the fun after working hours since I had nothing else to do. I even packed a conservative dress if I decided to go out. Yeah Right!

Well, the more I thought about it the more I thought why not? So I did a little research online and there were some LGBT friendly restaurants around town. The one I picked was a little coffee/wine bar that served food too. I found on the website that they were closed Mondays so I had one more day to think about it.

Tuesday came and I steeled my resolve. I was going to go out, dressed en femme and be part of the real world. After work I got back to the hotel and put on my lingerie before shaving and doing my makeup. I tried very hard to not go over the top. I did a light eye shadow and highlight on my eyes with a muted red lipstick in addition to my normal base, blush and mascara, etc.

My only option was to wear my heather grey sweater dress with a slate grey low heeled shoe and black stockings. I spent about an hour in total getting ready before painting my nails. I wore a simple pearl necklace, my ladies Fossil watch and my girl wedding band and engagement ring. It matched well and I thought I was not overdressed.

Now came the moment of truth, I was fine inside my hotel room but I had to leave the room first before I could go onto the cafe. One last check of my purse and I opened the door. I didn't encounter anyone in the hall and made my way down the hallway and stairs to a side exit, where my car was parked. That was easier than I thought. I drove about twenty minutes and found the cafe.

I would like to say I parked and bravely walked right in but thats not quite what happened. I drove past, it looked busy. There was nowhere to park. I was having mixed feelings now. Walking down an empty hall is easier than entering a busy restaurant while dressed en femme. I spent about thirty minutes trying to talk myself into parking and getting out of the car. Why was this so hard, they're just clothes.

I made one more drive by and a parking spot was open right in front of the cafe. I whipped a U turn and took the spot. I was here; again with the nerves. Then I thought about how much I would like to write about this adventure and share my experience with anyone else going through these issues. That convinced me, the cafe had free wifi and I had my iPad with me.

I opened the car door, closed the door behind me walked right in. It was a pleasant dimly lit room with a bar in the front window and several tables in tha back of the room. There wer maybe fifteen people in the place but the barkeeper was available so I walked up and asked for a glass of Malbec. No one pointed or laughed. The bartender said we have two types of Malbec today would I like the dry one or the fruity one, talking to me like i was a normal person. Of course, I am a normal person. We engaged in small talk about the holiday while I placed my order for some pasta and he poured my wine.

The food was only fair, the wine was tasty but the fact that I was out in the real world made my night. I sat ther for about thirty minutes, writing this post, checking up on my Gopher Basketball team and enjoying being out dressed as a woman. I tried to be as ladylike as I could, small bites, keeping my legs together. The conversations of the room washed over me as I ate and wrote. Nothing bad happened, people went about their everyday lives and sat in my heather grey sweater dess enjoying my meal.

I still have to drive back and go up to my hotel room but that will be easy now, i have confidence, I hope next time the whole process will be easier and I hope this helps you take that next step too.
    Rebecca Bas

Great story. I'm proud of you. It takes alot of courage to open the door and step out into the world. It will get easier. Congrats!
    ​Cindy

Great story girl. I know what you mean by the nerves... Some of the more interesting details I have to deal with are when I wear heels the car seat needs adjusting. For some reason I must get shorter with heels. Besides, I see most GGs driving close to the wheel so I need to get that right too. Then the heater in the car. Rarely do I need that on even in the winter.... my heart beats a million miles a second when out.... But in time, the beats do tend to slow down as you get more confidence... Even though I am still in the infant stages of being in public, I have never had a sit down eating event. That must have felt great.

Thanks so much for sharing the story.

Renne.....

Silver Member
    Good Job!
    I can remember well the plight and fright of those experiences. One thing that I’ve learned is that you can go almost anywhere. I don’t go to “friendly” places, because people there are looking and guessing. One time I went to a famous restaurant in Florida after a great day of shopping. It was great sitting on the deck with the wind blowing on my bare legs and whipping the hem of my skirt. Now I just wear shorts or pants.

Oh Well

Sweet story! That will build those nerves up for sure! I remember back when my first time out alone was! The worse part was hearing the car door slam shut! It sounded like a jail cell slamming shut! Ouch! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    Now that's real time coverage! I don't recall ever before reading a post about a night out - while its happening! I'm so glad you found the courage to park and get out of the car. The way you were dressed sounds perfect for the venue. BTW, which Malbec did you go with?

Thanks for the kind words ladies. To answer kimdl93: I had the dry Malbec, not sure of the label though.

One last note, when I made it back to the hotel it was just after 10 so the side doors were locked even with a magnetic room key. I had to make my way around the front of the hotel. I walked right through the main lobby, passing someone chatting away on their phone and to the elevators. I didn't encounter anyone else but it didn't matter. I was me, wearing clothes, just like always. Only this time it was dress and heels. A very empowering evening.
    Rebecca Bas

Great story and congrats. You enjoyed yourself thats what matters. I wish i had your courage to go all out, but time is key.. Congrats again

So when you ordered and talked to the bartender was it in a female voice or a male voice?

I've got the walking around part down pretty well, but I dread the day someone wants to talk to me. So far, a couple women I've passed on the street have said "hello" or "good morning", and I've managed a simple reply in a female voice, but I doubt I could carry on a conversation. And I'm not sure what I would talk about.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

A very lovely story. Best wishes.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Thanks for sharing. Usually the first time is the hardest. I like to check things out, while in drab, before walking in somewhere while dressed. I guess it just gives me an idea what to expect, depending on where I'm going.
    Dana Ryan

Congratulations! Nearly all of us here can relate to how you were feeling. The first time is definitely the hardest!
    Hugs, Carole

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    So when you ordered and talked to the bartender was it in a female voice or a male voice?
    I've never really tried to work on a female voice. I just talked in my regular voice, maybe a little softer or pitched a little higher but nothing I had practiced. I just went with it.
    Rebecca Bas

Quote Originally Posted by Heisthebride View Post
    I've never really tried to work on a female voice. I just talked in my regular voice, maybe a little softer or pitched a little higher but nothing I had practiced. I just went with it.
    I had overlooked the " LGBT friendly restaurants " part of your post so I guess the bartender was used to a lot of things that some other people would be surprised at.

Still, I'm not an "in your face" kind of person so if I go out looking like a female, I've got to try to act and talk like one also. They may end up thinking I'm a "manly" female, but that's OK. No way I'm passing as a movie star.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I did the exact same thing my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on times. Its normal to feel that way.

San Antonio does indeed have some nice trans-friendly restaurants, etc. But what i enjoyed most about being a girl in San Antonio was all of the times i spent touring the Riverwalk...the restaurants there, the jazz club, etc....and never had any problem at all, whether i was alone or with friends. And if you want a great place to stay overnight in S.A., try the Painted Lady---a bed and breakfast owned by a nice lesbian couple. It is within walking distance, or a short cab ride, to the Riverwalk. (btw, I would not recommend walking late at night between there and the Riverwalk, but in daytime hours it's OK.)
    Nancy

Congratulations on the great evening. It is so fun to make things that would be normal into something exciting! I can walk down the sidewalk a 100 times and not think anything of it but throw on a pair of 5 inch heels and it is an incredible experience. I would love to see pics of you in the outfit you wore that night.