Thread: Started therapy today

Started therapy today

So I started therapy today. I have to say I was kind of nervous going into it. I went dressed as a guy. It was basically an hour of me telling her about my life. She asked a few questions, mostly to clarify points. I gave her a journal about my TG musings I have been keeping so that she can get some insight into how I am thinking more quickly. I have another appointment made for next Wednesday.

In all, she presented as professional, caring and interested in helping me. She asked what I wanted out of our sessions, I told her that I wanted to find a way to balance my being TG with my wife and marriage, and with society at large. Also, I want to try to find out just how deep the rabbit hole is and figure out ways to explore my feminine side in a constructive manner. She said she thought those were good goals. I emphasized that all of this would have to be done within the framework of my marriage, in other words I don't want to leave my wife.

In all, though there were no real answers, I am happy that I went. I know this week was just a start and that the kid gloves will likely come off soon, but I need to come to grips with myself.

Anna

Anna, I am so happy for you. Being able to share so openly is a wonderful step. No one knows where it will lead, but you are investing in yourself and your complete happiness. Part of this may be very difficult as the balance of choices sometimes conflict. I found my therapist very helpful in so many ways, not all related to my crossdressing. Keep us posted.

hugs,

tiffany

Good for you. It helps to have a person to talk to, especially one bound by confidentiality rules. I was with my counselour for just over a year before I could utter the words about being a crossdresser. I am still deep in the closet to this day and probably always will be. I hope things go well for you.

Suzy

Bravo!

Anna, therapy and the collective wisdom of these forums are saving my life right now. We face similar situations and I hope your therapy experience is great. Sometimes it's exhausting and emotionally wracking; other times it's deeply empowering. But therapy always helpsme move forward, especially when I feel safe enough to be honest. Good wishes!

the answers will come from you, when you're ready for them
    loved to hear about your therapist, and I think you have well structured goals to start from. I hope she's able to throw some great insights there in your mind. rooting for you sweetie! ;x
    [SIZE="1"]It is fatal to be a man or woman pure and simple: one must be a woman manly, or a man womanly. — Virginia Woolf[/SIZE]

Hi Anna,

First off congratulations on your decision for therapy. This is a brave step, and Tais is right, the answers will, be yours and in your time. I've experinced therapy many years ago when it was not my choice to go (parents) and I had no hope of true help. I have been considering going again to figure out my conflictions. Reading your post helped, you do have wonderful clarity. I've had difficulty verbalizing my concerns, and an extremely hard time opening up. I go back to trust issues.

Please keep us posted.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Thanks to all of you for the support. I am actually anxious to get next week here so I can continue with this.

Anna

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Lorree View Post
    So I started therapy today. I have to say I was kind of nervous going into it. I went dressed as a guy. It was basically an hour of me telling her about my life. She asked a few questions, mostly to clarify points. I gave her a journal about my TG musings I have been keeping so that she can get some insight into how I am thinking more quickly. I have another appointment made for next Wednesday.

In all, she presented as professional, caring and interested in helping me. She asked what I wanted out of our sessions, I told her that I wanted to find a way to balance my being TG with my wife and marriage, and with society at large. Also, I want to try to find out just how deep the rabbit hole is and figure out ways to explore my feminine side in a constructive manner. She said she thought those were good goals. I emphasized that all of this would have to be done within the framework of my marriage, in other words I don't want to leave my wife.

In all, though there were no real answers, I am happy that I went. I know this week was just a start and that the kid gloves will likely come off soon, but I need to come to grips with myself.

Anna
    Anna,

Thank you for posting your experience, and I hope you will continue as my own is coming in a few weeks. I'd be interested in knowing if your therapist found your journal helpful. Some members have commented pro and con about presenting this sort of stuff to a therapist.

Did you have actual indications of the "gloves coming off" or are you anticipating?

Congratulations on a successful start!

Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    Anna,

Thank you for posting your experience, and I hope you will continue as my own is coming in a few weeks. I'd be interested in knowing if your therapist found your journal helpful. Some members have commented pro and con about presenting this sort of stuff to a therapist.

Did you have actual indications of the "gloves coming off" or are you anticipating?

Congratulations on a successful start!

Lea
    Lea,

With regard to kid gloves, the only indication so far is that she has said that any topics are fair game for discussion. Besides, I would doubt the ability for this process to help me grow if we stay in comfortable areas of conversation. I will have to be pushed in order to achieve some of the goals I have, so I am OK with the kid gloves coming off. I feel it likely that some of this will be hard and messy, and that some of it will be uncomfortable. I also think I may need to use some of the tissues so available in the office before this is done. I'm OK with that if I can get some of the answers I lack right now.

Anna

great move seeing a therapist.

I have one also and it has helped me a lot.

Made me feel not alone and helping me figure me out. LOL

Not that I will but it is good to try.

I love having a clear sounding board. Besided this site I had though i was so alone.

Good luck on your journey, I love the journey