Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos... Storing them

Photos... Storing them

Where do you girls store your photos ? I download my onto the computer then transfer them to cds.. I am always worried someone ie the kids will come across them on the computer if left on there. Are there ways we can hide them safely ? Yas x

External hard drive!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Gone cottin choppin.
    Last edited by MarcyHunter; 01-11-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Gone cottin choppin.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I store them on refrigerator magnets, picture frames in the living room and on a elecronic picture frame next to the tv
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

The woman I hired to take photos of wear my clothes keeps them for me! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

If you're mainly hiding them from your kids, bury them in nested hidden folders and set things up so that hidden folders aren't visible. You can also encrypt your photos so that they cant' be viewed without a password. And as others have mentioned, put them on an external hard drive that you only hook up when accessing your CD photos. Put it away where the kids won't find it when you're done.

CD's/DVD's are too easy for someone to find, and it's easy to forget one in the drive, then someone else comes along and takes a look at what's on the CD in the drive and your secret is out. Also, optical storage doesn't last forever, so you need to make new copies every few years.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Karen, hon, I know you take a hard knock at the rink at times, but I have read the above sentence 30 times and I still don't understand it !
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Silver Member
    Easy! Go to www.truecrypt.org/ and download it or any other encryption software you prefer. Load them to disc and label the disc corrupted. Then tell anyone they have great family photos, but they can"t be read now but maybe someday. Anything less is a risk.

Now be sure to remember the password or you will never see them again. I have a unique one that I share with no one. I only use it to get to my other passwords.

A person does not have the time or resorses to recover the file/disc without the password. Posting them somewhere else or hiding is a sure way to have them discovered. If you pass on they will probably be discarded or 100 years from now someone might be able to decode it, but do you care?
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 12-15-2011 at 10:22 PM.

I have a flash drive i store in an old video game box

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    Karen, hon, I know you take a hard knock at the rink at times, but I have read the above sentence 30 times and I still don't understand it !
    Yeah... Really needs additional punctuation to make sense! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Once the photo gets onto your hard drive it is almost impossible to erase by any means except a full wipe of the drive,. I'm not an expert, but I've been told that almost anyone who knows the rudiments of information recovery can with the proper programs access every photo that has ever been saved on a computer's hard drive. The type of entities which have the requisite hardware and software to do the job include sophisticated metropolitan police departments, many private investigation agencies, almost every computer repair shop, and lots of internet hackers.

I put them in a empty beer can and leave it on the front lawn. Nobody ever picks that up.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    There was a thread about storing photos safely in the "technical help section" - click link below to go to the thread.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ments-securely

I myself use Flickr and also ImageShack for display purposes, but I back up on an external hard drive and I also back up in the Cloud too. I use Microsoft's "Skydrive". It gives you 25 gigabytes of free storage. All you need is a free Hotmail account. Here's a link if you're interested: http://explore.live.com/skydrive
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    After my older girl moved out, I used rotating pics of Sherry as my wallpaper! My younger one finally said, "Those ladies look scary, daddy!"

Since then, I loaded most into an external hard drive. Then, when I got a new computer I tried to download them. It's been 6+ months now. Still haven't figured out how to do that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    Easy! Go to www.truecrypt.org/ and download it or any other encryption software you prefer. Load them to disc and label the disc corrupted. Then tell anyone they have great family photos, but they can"t be read now but maybe someday. Anything less is a risk.

Now be sure to remember the password or you will never see them again. I have a unique one that I share with no one. I only use it to get to my other passwords.

A person does not have the time or resorses to recover the file/disc without the password. Posting them somewhere else or hiding is a sure way to have them discovered. If you pass on they will probably be discarded or 100 years from now someone might be able to decode it, but do you care?
    Came here to say this! Truecrypt is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Ahh! A case of engineers dyslexia...

Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    If you're mainly hiding them from your kids, bury them in nested hidden folders and set things up so that hidden folders aren't visible. You can also encrypt your photos so that they cant' be viewed without a password. And as others have mentioned, put them on an external hard drive that you only hook up when accessing your CD photos. Put it away where the kids won't find it when you're done.

Carol
    Give a kid an unopened safe with secret written on it.
    Bingo! open in 5 seconds.

Tell a kid to put the laundry in the hamper,
    They can't find it.

They love encrypted and hidden folders.....NO!

I keep mine on a flash drive that I keep on my person at all times. Also because of good and easily accessable data recovery programs (Ihave several), I save my pics straight from the camera to the flash drive.. Thats the best way I can think of to keep them from public view..My kids know almost as much about computers as I do, which isn't REAL extensive, but if I had your computer, I could recover your deleted pics, if there were any..

I once wrote a password protected encoding and decoding program to store files. you should be able to find such softwares available for download.

I have a dual boot PC system Linux/Windows 7.

All my private stuff goes on Linux (with password), and all the family stuff goes on Windows 7.

I back-up onto a 2.5" External HD, and keep it safe!!!

I have printed photo's in the past, and kept an album in the loft....but the cold and damp degrade photo's

Compress the file with winzip and use the password protection option. The password should be something you remember easily, but no one except you knows (things from childhood are good). Then cut and paste onto a flash drive and keep it in a secure place, like on your person. Delete all of the picture files. When you delete files in windows, they are actually moved to the Recycle bin, so you need to empty it to actually delete the files. One of the problems about deleting things on most computer systems is they don't delete the file, just the name, so it's not very secure. As most graphics files are on the large side, programs run from the command prompt or DOS can sort by file size and no name, rename the file(s) with the correct extension and it/they will magically reappear. However, if you defrag your files, the file fragments will move to a different area than the other fragments point to. Do this a couple of times and the file becomes extremely difficult to piece together and you should be pretty safe.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Aspiring Member
    I keep mine on my private Shari e-mail. I created zip folders of my pics and used my regular e-mail to send the zip folders to my Shari account. I created a folder on Shari Yahoo where I download and store them all.
    Any time I want to see them, I simply go to my e-mail and look. If I want them on my computer, I can download them back to the desktop and open them here. I can then download them to this site or any other one I might want to "show myself off". Lots of room in cyber space to store your pics.
    As long as nobody knows your alternate e-mail or the password, they're quite safe from any prying eyes.

Silver Member
    Ultimately, it depends on your level of sophistication, the kids level of sophistication, and how determined the kids are to snoop around the computer. Others' advice so far is spot on, you just want to make sure you don't do something to lock yourself out of the pictures too.

A better long term solution would be to get an older computer for the kids to use (you can find older computers that are still useful and capable of casual everyday web surfing at yard sales, flea markets, craigslist and the like for less than $50.) Sharing a computer (for personal use) with others is like sharing a toothbrush or a pair of underwear; you could but it isn't very "hygienic" and it is cheap enough for everyone to have their own.

And make lots of copies of those pictures (not just one disc), all media can fail and you don't want to lose them.

Aspiring Member
    I keep all of our photos (general photos and CD related) on thumb drives. Thumb drives are so inexpensive now a days they make great external storage. They are also small in size so they would be real easy to hide if you needed to. I keep 2 complete copies of all our photos on mirrored thumb drives, that way I always have back-ups.

If you really want to keep your photos away from prying eyes, you could even go down to storing them on MICRO SD cards. These cards are smaller than your little finger nail and thinner than a credit card. Put your photos on one of these and you could keep it in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    I store them on refrigerator magnets, picture frames in the living room and on a elecronic picture frame next to the tv
    This is making me jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!