Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What excuses do you use when shopping for feminine apparrel?That's bras, lingere,etc.

I have never used an excuse to buy things. I have been kinda shy and awkward about it but in the end and once it was all over I always went back. Especially to places that treat me well. Any place (the thrift store where I was given a hard time about buying a dress) that does not will not get my business. I do wish I had a GG friend to teach me make-up and give advice on fasion.

I don't think its nessesary to use an excuse, but if I happen to be shopping in male mode and the clerk will say something like "she will love this", I do not correct her but the truth is, she will. Its just not the same she they are thinking.

pantynhoseman
    I don't use any excuse, i just go and buy what I want. If I'm not sure if I'm getting the right size. I just ask. Sometimes I get some strange looks, but most are pleased to help you, oh and I always keep the receipt for easy returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    For goodness sake, guys! You don't need excuses to spend money. Jeesh!

You have a perfect right to buy anything you want at any time. No one cares anyway.

Remember, SA (or anyone else who works with the public) have seen it all and heard all your silly excuses a hundred times already. They don't care. They WANT your business and your money.

Making up silly excuses only exposes your own guilt and shame to people who have heard it all already.

S
    Exactly. I don't make excuses. Hey if they don't want my money, someone else will. Actually, if I ever get comments, I think I'll ask for the manager and raise a ruskuss, just for my own enjoyment.

Have you ever heard the story about the mouse in a rattlesnake cage ? At first they are terrified and hide in the corner, even though there is no escape. But, after a while they say to h... with it and start running into the snakes nose. That is where I am at - please, someone ask me if this dress is for me !! No body does anymore, maybe it's the earrings !

No disrespect but how bout...oh gosh IDK...lessee...um maybe remain aloof, don't engage or even recognize the 'reality' of sum dum CLERK? Lmao.... You got money? You're buying merchandise? Yo...that's a wrap. Finis!

Yes I'm being a bit facetious but puhlease....

Look! Ya Life's a bitch no matter How ya cut it...then u die. NObody gets outta here alive. So just enjoy yourself in the meantime. WHO tha fck Cares what anyone else thinks. Lololololol.....

Only once has a cashier ever said anything about what I was buying. I was at a Walmart buying a white corset. The checker told me with a smile I could not buy that. I asked why? Is it not my color? She just laughed and completed the sale. Then told me to have a nice day.

I just treat it the same as if i were buying grocerys. No one has ever asked.

I never say anything unless the purchase is made in a very intimate womans shop. Then I might say that I'm buying the intimate items for my daughter.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have been buying feminine apparel for myself for well over 60 years. I used to use all kinds of excuses to do the buying in the early years, but my late wife told me to just buy for myself and not to worry about it. I took her advice back in the mid 50's and have followed it ever since. I just tell the SA that I am buying for myself, not matter what type of feminine garment is involved!! I have been wearing a bra since I was 9 years old (I am now 79) so never have a problem buying them! In fact, I rarely have a problem buying anything, whether it is feminine or not. Unless you count picking out the right thing!! All of us girls have that problem!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I used to go shopping with all my excuses prepared but as I got older I stopped bothering. If someone had told me that in my thirties I would have full on conversations with female assistants I wouldn't have believed them.

I had a great discussion in La Senza with a lovely woman about underwear and she advise me on which stockings to wear and what I liked/disliked. Try it, you will love the way it makes you feel.

If asked, I say I'm buying for myself. It is generally obvious since I'm full figured.
    Rachel Denise

[SIZE="2"]“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. His response was a question: “Where do you want to go?’ ‘I don’t know,’ answered Alice. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn’t matter.' "
    - Lewis Carroll
    [/SIZE]

I feel no need to give anyone any excuse.
    I'm shopping, I'm spending money and I am the customer. What I am buying and who it is for is not of their business.
    If my credit card is rejected, then talk to me about that....otherwise, ...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I guess I've never been asked straight out, but I've got used to shopping for Becca now so I'm pretty comfortable browsing and such. If I was asked, I guess I'd just try and be honest.

xx Becca xx

Quote Originally Posted by dominique View Post
    None I just go buy. Simple.
    same here.

sue ellan

wear frilly lingerie because life is too short not too.

The last time I shopped at Victoria's Secret I told the clerk I was looking for a pushup bra in size 38B with their maximum lift because I needed as much help as possible. She helped me find the size I needed, I picked out a couple different styles and the colors I was interested in and she took me over to wait for a dressing room to open up with the other customers. The clerk in the dressing area asked me for my name. When I was in the dressing room she knocked on the door and asked me if I needed anything, using my male name.

Although I spent many years trying to hide the fact I was shopping for myself, I've found that since I started asking to try things on I buy clothes that fit much better and seldom end up with something that isn't something I like. The clerks really don't care and I've never been refused trying on clothing regardless of how busy the store was.

Veronica

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Usually I don't say anything. I have, depending on the situation, told the SA that I crossdressed. If this was the case, we would talk about clothes or almost anything. Sometimes they would invite me back, and come dressed; which I have.
    Dana Ryan

I don't offer up an excuse when buying something in drab. Sometimes I get the occasional, "Oh, this is pretty" and I agree with them. If a SA hasn't figured out the clothes are for me after I've just tried them on in the dressing room, they're not to bright. I think anymore that a sale is a sale to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gender_blender View Post
    You shouldn't need to justify spending on anything to anyone, but if asked, I say "It's for me." However, I look very feminine all the time, so my response is never surprising.
    Is that you in the photo, cuz it looks like a girl to me.

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    As others have already said, most SA's just want to make a sale; they don't care who is buying or for whom the item is intended. I just select what I want and take it to the checkout. I can't recall ever receiving odd looks. I have even been shopping in drab, found a dress I like but am unsure about the size - why is it that the size label varies so much between manufacturers!! - and have taken the alternatives into the male changing rooms to try on. Occasionally this has clearly confused the assistant on duty, but, again, nothing ever has been said.

Many threads have commented on the helpfulness of SA's employed my MAC. I was out shopping one day when, on a whim, I went up to the MAC counter in a department store - (not even one of their own stores, just one counter amongst many) - and asked an assistant for advice on applying eyeliner - I always make a mess with the liquid stuff. She didn't bat an eyelid, and was most helpful in recommending a dry-powder product and a special brush. Needless to say, she made a sale!

My advice is, don't worry; just shop for girly things as you would for anything else.
    [SIZE="3"]Caroline

Tranny Granny
    [/SIZE]

I am with everyone here who advocate just tell the truth, "It's for me"! no further explanation is called for though I have occasionaly added to a confused SA that I like to dress feminine.

That said I do try to observe a few rules.
    - I am senstive about shopping is a store where only one SA is available. If the SA is nervous of crossdressers in general then I don't want to make her even more nervous if she is the only person in the store.
    - If the SA has been helpful and has allowed me to try an article on or has given me friendly advice then I try not to leave the store without actualy purchasing something, this follows the dogma that all the SA is really interested in is a sale and are not judgemental about CDs, then on that basis she should get a sale even if its just a pair of stockings.
    - I am loathe to buy anything if the SA does not allow me to try it on for size as she would any regular GG.
    - I try to avoid shops with cameras, though this is getting to be all but impossible - I really don't want to find myself on You Tube!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley128 View Post
    Saying I am a transvestite conveys I have the plague.
    CD.. I am weird. I just want to dress up as a woman.. Must be a pedophile.
    Gay? Naah! not gay.
    Like others here, I make no bones about the fact that these are MY clothes. Even when I'm dressed, I'll tell the SA I'm a crossdresser if I might need advice (don't women do someting similar when they are looking for the right fit?). And I've never had a hassle from anyone within earshot if I do so.

The point is: by saying "It's for my [fill in the blank]", or being self-conscious / embarrased / paranoid about being CD / TG, we don't do anything toward tolerance or acceptance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

++justbuyit

If a SA asks if it is for you say, "Yes.". Most of the time you will find that SA's are helpful. In my experience some are VERY helpful (I think some love us because we are the interesting and fun break from the daily grind). Some ladies will be wierded out. Don't let it get to you; they are probably just not used to us yet. The worst case scenario is that the SA is used to us and has had too many frustrating experiences. Show her that you are different and maybe her opinion will change. Boutique stores that are not in indoor malls are usually the most friendly and helpful to us. Pick a day that it isn't too busy and you will probably get exceptional service and lots of good advice.

Sometimes I don't shop in places where I think I'll run into someone I know if I fall in love with something just not spooky looking enough. What if someone I know takes away one of my gother than thou points? It would be an epic tragedy of the highest order .

I always use the same excuse. " Honey, I can either spend this money burning a hole on my purse on hunting, fishing, and golf, or we can go together and find a sale at Beall's or Ross stores, what's it gonna be?" Seems to work at our house.

I find that if I just act like it's totally normal then the cashier follows suit.

If anyone should ever ask, though, I'd just say it's for my wife.