Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couldn't change myself, so i changed my religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

couldn't change myself, so i changed my religion

I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.

Well, guess what I prayed for over and over from about age 4 to age 8?

That I would grow up to be a girl. Although never caught dressed up, I was caught standing in front of the mirror more than once trying to find a way to hide my penis because it didn't seem like it belonged there.

I'm mostly "straight" but I've never had sex in guy mode that I enjoyed nearly as much as when I switched to the other role/dress, and I thank god (the atheist that I am now, lol) I've been able to find partners who have fun bending all the rules.

Just some thoughts and stories I wanted to get off my chest. Thanks for listening =)

Quote Originally Posted by darci.c View Post
    I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.
    I could have written those words myself. And I, too, prayed for things (though not what you prayed for--perhaps I thought God wouldn't like that), and my prayers were never granted. That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.

One question that still lingers, however, is this: if what I do is a sin (and I think most Christians would say that it is), then why did God make me such that I wanted to do it? I suppose maybe he was testing me. That seems to be the standard answer. If so, I think I failed. Now what happens?

I was an alter boy... Loved wearing the robes... But setting there behind the scenes and listing to the sermons.... They just didn't work for me. I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Well...............basing my opinion of a catholic church on the past performance, seems such credentials as: torture, execution, child abuse, money extortion, put it closer to mafia then Christ.
    Babe, you are missing nothing by following your heart! BE YOUR SELF and tell every Catholic priest who might want to "Guide you towards the light" to have a Bud light instead and kiss your feminine .........!!!

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school as a kid. As time went on I started to question what I had been taught as it just didn't really make sense to me. I don't get how a book like the Bible can be read and interpreted so literally. So now I consider myself agnostic.
    ~~Melissa~~

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.
    Amen. I don't believe; I don't disbelieve. One of my favorite spiritual sayings of all time is: Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyJ
    Religions have cause more wars over the course of history then any other cause.
    Absolutely Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.
    It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

Banned Read only
    Well said Amanda. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda S View Post
    I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

I consider myself a Christian, but though I haven't shared my alternative gender expression with others in my faith community I feel confidant that I would be fully accepted however I cared to dress. The God I worship doesn't care how I or anyone else dresses or who we love.

I find it sad that some branches of christianity have adopted such narrow interpretations of our faith they have driven many people away from the church entirely. To me that narrow view does not truly reflect Christianity.

Still trying to figure this out.
    Conflicted and sometimes confused.

I feel the same way about politics.

i eventually deconverted from christianity because i really couldent see how i could be an "abomination" for liking to dress in womens things, and "destesable" for being bisexual. i still have good friends in the church, but they don't know that i x- dress.
    they only know that i deconverted.

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda S View Post
    Raised Catholic and still with the faith. I was at Mass in Seattle when walking down the communion line was a young man in the cutest skirt. (Wanted to jump up and ask where he found it.) The priest gave him the sacrament without pause.

Evil doesn't reside in the Church it is within the weak minded people in the organization. A parish priest once said "beware of zealots because they are without humor."
    Last edited by Meg East; 12-18-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I've always thought of myself as a Christian, but have a hard time understanding all of the hatred that is sometime directed at certain factions. I've always believed in the "Golden Rule".
    Dana Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by DanaR View Post
    I've always thought of myself as a Christian, but have a hard time understanding all of the hatred that is sometime directed at certain factions. I've always believed in the "Golden Rule".
    I do, too, but unfortunately there's different versions of this rule. E.g., "Those who have the gold make the rules." Or, "Do unto others before they do unto you."

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.
    I quite agree. Darcy and Julia, what counts is what Christ has done for you, not what some Christians, with the best or intentions, may erroneously say in his name. None of us are perfect; if we were we wouldn't need a Saviour. All the perfect people are in Heaven, and I'm sorry that the imperfect people you knew were so far off the mark in regard to your needs. Fortunately, here on this site you can find people of Faith, or no faith, who will try to understand and help you the best they can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

God hasn't abandoned anybody, but we screw up His message all the time. I am a Methodist who leans a bit toward the Gnostic side. I also believe in reincarnation. As for the Methodist Church, it does not condemn crossdressing (I know, because I asked the headquarters).

God made man and woman in God's own image. Knowing that, I know that God must also transcend gender and that comforts me as I struggle with a human society that does NOT allow the transcendence of gender. I feel no friction between my faith and being TG.

Anna

As I've said to several people lately. Since accepting myself I've not lost my faith in God, in fact I think it's become much stronger. But I have been slowly losing faith in my church. It is one of those which has strong ideas on what is right and wrong and I now often feel very alien sometimes. In the end accepting myself my cause me to leave the denomination I have been very active in since childhood.

AnitaH

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation There is NOTHING WRONG WITH ANY RELIGION! Or, LACK there of!

ALL the problems with ALL religions can be attributed to the humans that HAVE and ARE interpreting the original message for their own purposes!

If u communicate directly with your deity(s), that's all u should need! If u don't believe u CAN do that, maybe u really don't need or want one?

But, NEVER, EVER discount the power of someone's faith or belief!

Fifteen years ago at age 50, I suddenly wanted to be a young woman. And now, with the power of conviction and a willingness to try nearly anything, I often am able to become one!

I guess u could say, "My prayers were answered!" Only I never prayed, just kept believing I could!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 12-19-2011 at 01:02 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia
    Last edited by Julia_in_Pa; 12-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Hi Julia!

I totally understand how you feel. I too was part of the Assembly of God Church, up until recently that is. My wife on the other hand is still part of the church and wants to pray over me so this will disappear. God does not make mistakes they say, and I don't think He did. I am becoming who I am supposed to be a woman. Which goes against like you said the Assembly of God Church and all other evangelistic sects.

Hugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia
    Trisha

Personally I don't subscribe to any "religion", although I know I have deeply rooted spiritual convictions. I don't question why I am transgendered, but rather choose to accept and embrace it. The answer to why I was created this way will be forthcoming upon my death. That is my belief.

Suzanne
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Is atheism a religion? I thought it was the denial of all religion... okay, that may be a tautological arguement!

Religions are by their nature prescribed cand historically proscribed codes of conduct and behaviour and at their worst, thinking. Follow your heart and you will find your guiding light. You can then decide how you want to describe it. But be careful... you could choose to just make it an individual issue personal to you... or you could then attempt to spread the word of your enlightenment! Be a prophet... give us your insights!

I am a very spiritual person... but I don't do off the shelf religions. There is great learning in all the great religions, but to think that any one has all the answers is a suspension of learning and development. Adherence to a code based purely on belief is not the best of journeys... although it does provide the means to defend one's bigotry and hatred.

When will we ever learn?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Aspiring Member
    If I may be permitted an observation, as a confirmed atheist, Christianity has no views on cross-dressing. All the diatribes about a man wearing clothes pertaining to a woman are in the Old Testament, not the New, so not Christian. If you comply with all this stuff, then you must have fringes to your garments and avoid wearing mixed fibres.

Temporarily 600 miles north of my San Diego
    I was raised to be a strict, intolerant Christian. I feel lucky that I was born with my strong femininity. I would probably be a terrible, hateful, misguided religious nutjob, today, if it wasn't for my social gender-identity issues.
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

http://www.facebook.com/maxinesnotdead