Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couldn't change myself, so i changed my religion

couldn't change myself, so i changed my religion

I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.

Well, guess what I prayed for over and over from about age 4 to age 8?

That I would grow up to be a girl. Although never caught dressed up, I was caught standing in front of the mirror more than once trying to find a way to hide my penis because it didn't seem like it belonged there.

I'm mostly "straight" but I've never had sex in guy mode that I enjoyed nearly as much as when I switched to the other role/dress, and I thank god (the atheist that I am now, lol) I've been able to find partners who have fun bending all the rules.

Just some thoughts and stories I wanted to get off my chest. Thanks for listening =)

Quote Originally Posted by darci.c View Post
    I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.
    I could have written those words myself. And I, too, prayed for things (though not what you prayed for--perhaps I thought God wouldn't like that), and my prayers were never granted. That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.

One question that still lingers, however, is this: if what I do is a sin (and I think most Christians would say that it is), then why did God make me such that I wanted to do it? I suppose maybe he was testing me. That seems to be the standard answer. If so, I think I failed. Now what happens?

I was an alter boy... Loved wearing the robes... But setting there behind the scenes and listing to the sermons.... They just didn't work for me. I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Well...............basing my opinion of a catholic church on the past performance, seems such credentials as: torture, execution, child abuse, money extortion, put it closer to mafia then Christ.
    Babe, you are missing nothing by following your heart! BE YOUR SELF and tell every Catholic priest who might want to "Guide you towards the light" to have a Bud light instead and kiss your feminine .........!!!

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school as a kid. As time went on I started to question what I had been taught as it just didn't really make sense to me. I don't get how a book like the Bible can be read and interpreted so literally. So now I consider myself agnostic.
    ~~Melissa~~

Banned Read only
    I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia
    Last edited by Julia_in_Pa; 12-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.
    It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I think its not religion, you seem to have issues with gender identity,I am far from a bible thumper,I never really liked fables to begin with.If it helps in any way I believe that we are all part of the universe and our life force joins all others when it finally runs it course in this existence of the here and now.I'm sorry but a discussion on organized religion in this forum would not be appropriate.I feel your torment and wish you all the best .I have to go now.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

Banned Read only
    Well said Amanda. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda S View Post
    I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

I consider myself a Christian, but though I haven't shared my alternative gender expression with others in my faith community I feel confidant that I would be fully accepted however I cared to dress. The God I worship doesn't care how I or anyone else dresses or who we love.

I find it sad that some branches of christianity have adopted such narrow interpretations of our faith they have driven many people away from the church entirely. To me that narrow view does not truly reflect Christianity.

Still trying to figure this out.
    Conflicted and sometimes confused.

I feel the same way about politics.

According to the very conservative Catholic Answers, crossdressing isn't a sin. That being said IMHO the Church has alignes itself with the most reactionary & bigoted forces in America in regard to gender issues. That alignment makes me sad. I am a lifelong, " cradle Catholic ".
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 12-18-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Actually for me the reverse is true, In continued reflection on who I am as a person, I have found renewed faith in God, the more i've found how incredibly complex the living physical world is around me( including gender diversity, psycology etc. ) the more covinced I am of God. AND the more convinced I am that it is man who has diluted God's richness and imposed impossible rules on mankind. PM me in private if you want to chat further as I find the discussion of religion interesting.

Kelly
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila11 View Post
    Still trying to figure this out.
    Conflicted and sometimes confused.

I feel the same way about politics.
    Love the shoes ,Lisa
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.
    I quite agree. Darcy and Julia, what counts is what Christ has done for you, not what some Christians, with the best or intentions, may erroneously say in his name. None of us are perfect; if we were we wouldn't need a Saviour. All the perfect people are in Heaven, and I'm sorry that the imperfect people you knew were so far off the mark in regard to your needs. Fortunately, here on this site you can find people of Faith, or no faith, who will try to understand and help you the best they can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

I happen to believe in God. I also believe there was a man named Jesus Christ. I also happen to believ in the earliest known religions that worshipped Goddesses and not Gods. I do believ in the existance of a greater power and that being both a God and a Goddess. What I have no faith in is any organized religion. No, I do not consider myself a Christian and I don't believe in the bible.
    Like a quote fron Ghandi. He said, I like this man named Jesus Christ. To bad that those that profess to follow him are nothing like him. Religions have cause more wars over the course of history then any other cause.
    I follow this very simple phrase I read in a book about Goddesses. It said something like this: IF IT HARMS NO ONE, DO AS THY WILL. Seems like that should be part of the ten Commandments to me.
    I have a bible thumping brother that I foolishly confessed to, that I am a crossdresser. He wrote me off and I have not heard from him in over 4 years. he chose his brain washing church over his own brother after years of being close. Sure it hurt. But I am so glad I am nothing like him. You might say my actions are more Christian like based on the teachings of Jesus. How'd these church leaders twist everything around to where they are nothing like Jesus?

Aspiring Member Longing2be-Trisha's Avatar
    Hi Julia!

I totally understand how you feel. I too was part of the Assembly of God Church, up until recently that is. My wife on the other hand is still part of the church and wants to pray over me so this will disappear. God does not make mistakes they say, and I don't think He did. I am becoming who I am supposed to be a woman. Which goes against like you said the Assembly of God Church and all other evangelistic sects.

Hugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia_in_Pa View Post
    I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia
    Trisha

East of Seattle somewhere between the pass and Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda S View Post
    Raised Catholic and still with the faith. I was at Mass in Seattle when walking down the communion line was a young man in the cutest skirt. (Wanted to jump up and ask where he found it.) The priest gave him the sacrament without pause.

Evil doesn't reside in the Church it is within the weak minded people in the organization. A parish priest once said "beware of zealots because they are without humor."
    Last edited by Meg East; 12-18-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.
    Amen. I don't believe; I don't disbelieve. One of my favorite spiritual sayings of all time is: Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyJ
    Religions have cause more wars over the course of history then any other cause.
    Absolutely Amen to that.

Personally I don't subscribe to any "religion", although I know I have deeply rooted spiritual convictions. I don't question why I am transgendered, but rather choose to accept and embrace it. The answer to why I was created this way will be forthcoming upon my death. That is my belief.

Suzanne
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Is atheism a religion? I thought it was the denial of all religion... okay, that may be a tautological arguement!

Religions are by their nature prescribed cand historically proscribed codes of conduct and behaviour and at their worst, thinking. Follow your heart and you will find your guiding light. You can then decide how you want to describe it. But be careful... you could choose to just make it an individual issue personal to you... or you could then attempt to spread the word of your enlightenment! Be a prophet... give us your insights!

I am a very spiritual person... but I don't do off the shelf religions. There is great learning in all the great religions, but to think that any one has all the answers is a suspension of learning and development. Adherence to a code based purely on belief is not the best of journeys... although it does provide the means to defend one's bigotry and hatred.

When will we ever learn?
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Aspiring Member
    If I may be permitted an observation, as a confirmed atheist, Christianity has no views on cross-dressing. All the diatribes about a man wearing clothes pertaining to a woman are in the Old Testament, not the New, so not Christian. If you comply with all this stuff, then you must have fringes to your garments and avoid wearing mixed fibres.

Temporarily 600 miles north of my San Diego
    I was raised to be a strict, intolerant Christian. I feel lucky that I was born with my strong femininity. I would probably be a terrible, hateful, misguided religious nutjob, today, if it wasn't for my social gender-identity issues.
    I don't try to look like a woman that fits in. I try to look like a woman that stands out.

http://www.facebook.com/maxinesnotdead

It's sad to reflect that people opt out of institutions because they find ignorance and prejudice there. Because, on that basis, we should also opt out of our nation, and even of our families. The real challenge—it seems to me—is to fight ignorance wherever we find it, and to reform and reclaim our institutions. Many persons here have been fighting their own families. Some wind up leaving them, but there are many wonderful victories. The same goes for governments and public laws. The churches may be the last bastion of prejudice, but they will change too. You know why? Because history, and God, are on our side.