Thread: Play LIKE a girl!

Complex Lolita...

Play LIKE a girl!

[SIZE="2"]“Little girls often want to do gymnastics, dance, or even soccer. But what if a little princess wants to play hockey? Since Detroit is coined Hockeytown, it should not be surprising that little girls would want a part in the action too. So why shouldn’t they learn about hat tricks rather than pirouettes?” (from a Detroit-area online article about gender stereotypes)

I suppose. I know that girls/women/ladies (using the term loosely) play hockey, but it baffles me why females would wish to engage in such a pointlessly violent and masculine activity. I mean, I’m a hockey fan from WAY back, a guilty pleasure I can barely explain under the circumstances of my MtF crossdressing, but I just can’t “square” the idea of girls using aggression to get a point across, or push a rubber biscuit over the goal line. I guess there’s no body-checking in these female games, but what about a reality check? It’s a sign of the times, whereby females are now expected to be as aggressive, dynamic, and overbearing as their male counterparts. I submit that girls are now playing like boys, or, more accurately, engaging in the evolutionary thrust of human endeavor, previously a male-only club. I have a question – what happened to the GIRLS?

I recently got a “preview” sales folder from the U.S. Chess Federation (how did they find me?), and I came across a new chess book titled “Play like a GIRL!” This got me thinking – how does one play chess LIKE a girl? If you play over a chess game from a book or a magazine without knowing the gender of the players, you would never guess that one (or both) is a female, i.e. girl. Intrigued about the title, I looked up the aforementioned book online – it is a collection of tactical positions from the world’s best women players, and it is described thusly: “Chess players of all levels can enjoy the puzzles, as the difficulty goes all the way from one-move killer blows to deep, complex combinations. The crushing tactics in this book show that “playing like a girl” is something to aspire to!” The key words here are “killer” and “crushing,” and they tell me that the so-called girls are playing like boys, on the level playing field called war (I mean chess)...

Chess success is all about “sharpness,” a male concept, or male conceit, if you will. I play chess, in fact I’ve played in tournaments, but I’ve always been more interested in the artistic side of the game. My female friend and patron back in Massachusetts had a daughter who played chess very well, in fact she was taught the game by her late father. When they found out I played chess, they asked me why I didn’t do more with it. “I don’t have a killer instinct,” I replied, and I meant it – I really didn’t enjoy beating anyone. The woman turned to her daughter and asked, “Do you have a killer instinct?” The girl nodded enthusiastically, and then looked at me with an expression of disdain – I enjoy these little self-emasculating moments, especially in the presence of FEMALE masculinity. Why on Earth do you wish to be like a male, darling? The disdain is mutual, but I must be this way, just like you must affect aggression and play it out in some altruistic manner...

I won’t even go into what sharpness, crushing, and killing represent, or why one would engage in such masculine activities in the first place, since I know that the genders are not as far apart as some insist they are, or must be, for the good of society. Also, we are living in a time when male attributes or virtues are largely unquestioned, for the purported good of said society, and we are all expected and encouraged to be equally non-compassionate. In short, it would be nice if girls could be like boys, whatever that entails, and under no circumstances are boys allowed to be like girls. Perhaps you can see where I’m going with this unsolicited diatribe, but bear with me. Here I am, playing like a girl in a somewhat anachronistic manner, but I’m not supposed to be doing it, or any other “weak” activity, since it somehow violates my gender. Meanwhile, girls can step out of their prescribed roles, and back again, with nary a protest forthcoming...

In the local paper this week I saw a couple of photos that further illustrate the point I’m trying to make, namely that the idea of “girl,” hitherto an idea to worship, has become an endangered species. Apparently a man in Hutchinson, Kansas was so proud of his two daughters’ recent accomplishments that he let his fatherly pride out for all to see. What did his daughters do? Why they each bagged a “trophy” buck, of course, and we were all treated to images of the beaming father, the camouflaged (smiling) girl, and the dead deer – not once but TWICE (one for each girl)! I can barely look at such images, but that’s beside the point. I’m not here to judge, but I’m just wondering, in the context of this idea of “playing like a girl,” what kind of perversion is taking place. Under what circumstances would a girl wish to experience a “right of passage” that many boys are expected to aspire to, and why? Perhaps the proud father has no male progeny, so the girls must fill the gap and be boys for HIM – obviously, if the father likes to hunt, the girls are out there with him, projecting a masculinity that is at odds with their inherent girlhood. I really don’t understand how female compassion gets “tucked” away, but I guess it happens...

I can’t help but think about this scenario – what if there was a photo in the newspaper of a proud parent, posing with his/her son who just made his own dress, or some other accomplishment that would be seen as “girly,” un-masculine, or downright effeminate? It would NEVER happen, would it? And yet, girls can do “boy” things and be patted on the back for it – after all, they have risen out of their “unfortunate” femininity and achieved a masculine merit badge, if there is such a thing. There seems to be a background of discontent with all things feminine, perhaps borne on the wings of centuries of inequality, and we effeminate individuals are very much not worth knowing, if I’m reading the overtly masculine graffiti on the walls. I recently wrote a thread OP about “petticoat punishment,” in which a female declared that femininity is demeaning. Encasing a boy in the “trappings” of a girl is ultimately humiliating, or is meant to be, while a girl acting like (or dressing like) a boy is OK. Honestly, what is a girly-boy to do?

There have been a couple of well-reported instances these past few months of spouses, SO’s, or girlfriends coming to this site, specifically the MtF section, and being appalled by what they see and read. Of course – what could be more terrible, more ugly, and more unthinkable than the idea of boys dressing like girls, acting like girls, or...gasp...turning away from being boys? I can think of MANY things more horrible than these innocent and innocuous undertakings we boys need to do, but it’s no good trying to explain it to someone on the “other” side. Look at it this way – we wish to play like girls in a TRUE sense, which is another way of saying we wish to step away from being boys now and then and affect an image (or a feeling) of femininity that has touched us along the way. It begins slowly, but the need is there, just like a girl may feel the need to compete like a boy, wear the same type of clothes, and “crush” the opponent in some mock-masculine way. That’s certainly OK, if it makes you happy, but how about letting us boys play like girls so that we can be happy? Wouldn’t acceptance of this idea indicate compassion? It’s not too late, girls...

Getting back to the two deer-hunting girls, I’m wondering if they’re going to go to the senior prom in a few years and begrudgingly wear a dress. GASP! I’m sure they won’t even be aware of, much less dwell upon, the dichotomy their boy/girl lives represent, but this is the 21st century, and all aspects of femininity are subjugated, regardless of one’s birth gender. Oh well, pass the toothpicks, darling – we’re heading back to the woods to dominate nature, including our own...

What does the phrase “playing like a GIRL” mean to you?

Whatever happened to “The meek shall inherit the Earth?”

Merry Christmas to you all...
    [/SIZE]

I coach high school athletes (both boys and girls) in two different sports. The girls that I have coached are not tom boys or butches. They can be very femme. They just want to compete, and compete they do.

A girl can be very femme and still be an outstanding athlete.

Jodi

i have never been a "athlete". but probably could out run any on the track team. when the hormones kicked in the coach took notice of me and wanted me on the football team. did not care if i died before.

but i believe femininity, masculinity, and competitiveness are different. any woman can compete and still be feminine. just the wording involves a fierce nature.
    look at any chear leaders. tell me they are not feminine and they are killers in the tryouts. all the back stabbing. lieing. cheating, etc.

many top of the world women athletes are good looking dressed up. just do not have all the curves of the less athletic.

Aspiring Member
    I am a long time girl's high school coach and I agree with what Jodi has said but I would like to add some of the differences between "most" female athletes and male athletes. I have coached players who have won state championships and several others who have played Division I athletics. Here are some of my observations and while not to be held as totally true about all female athletes, it is some of the general observations of have seen over the years and please, what I have to say is not to be considered critical of female athletes.

1. Most female athletes are competitive but do not share the "win at all costs" mentality of boys.
    2. Males will try to beat you 100 to 0 while females will let up when they feel they are in control of the outcome of the contest.
    3. While females may recognize who the best players on their team may be, they hesitate to "feed the tigress" in order to gain an advantage.
    4. Females share in the experience of the competition while males share the experience of winning.
    5. Females hold ill feelings toward a teammate and let it deter from playing as a team while two males may have a fight in the locker room and then go out and play together like they are best friends.
    6. From #4 & #5, with females it is all about relationships not competition.
    7. There may be 15 balls available to play with but girls will play together with one ball while each male wants his own ball.
    8. Fundamental skills may be better with females to compensate for lack of speed and strength apparent in males.
    9. Females want to be part of the team and will support their teammates while males suffer on the bench and want to "play".
    10. Coaches need to be ultra careful in coaching females because everything said is taken "personally" while males already know how to coach themselves.

I will stop at these 10 observations so not to bore you all but I love coaching women and although I have been given the opportunity to coach males have always opted to coach females. Not only do I love women, I wouldn't mind joining them. I would love to play like a girl.

Trying to get to the top, GGs are the scariest. Ballroom dancing, basketball/netball, and hockey.
    I was asked to pose in a womens hockey team as a girl when I was young and very passable.
    I didn't want to bump into them and hurt them.
    OOh! have you ever had a hockey stick around your neck or between your legs. Ooh! I wanted to retaliate.
    Boys are made of sugar and spice. Nothing nice about the girls.. Except their clothes! Still have the hockey uniform.
    I was going to return it really!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Lest we forget one other stereotypically male attribute: guys treating women like sex objects and sex objects alone. Not wanting to build a deep, personal relationship with a woman nor discussing their feelings deeply (which leads to more problems down the road than anyone can realize). No...just no.

If me being seen as a "real man" involves me having to play sports (which I stink at...contrary to popular belief, video games and computer usage do not make a person more athletic) or hunt or be a woman-chaser...then I'd much rather be called a sissy.

I don't want to live as an alpha-male, but I do want to live where I can be the man I want to be, and occasionally also express myself through some more feminine means. I also want to be in a relationship where I can discuss my feelings and have them treated with respect and caring in the same way I treat the woman I'm with's feelings as well.
    I'm a guy who likes girls, I just like a little more about them than the average guy.

Frédérique, I teach marksmanship to both genders. What i have learned is that the girls want and do grasp the fundamentals of marksmanship much better than most boys. Why? I'm not all together sure however it is my belief they approach the "game" with no preconseived ideas about their ability. Hand a firearm to a boy/man and by and large he "knows" how it works and what he is suppose to do with it. Give the same weapon to girl/woman and she is going to ask, "How does this work". Perhaps not in those words but the message is clear, "TEACH ME ABOUT THIS THING".

When i take them to the range the girls usually out shoot the boys at the beginning because i don't have to break bad habits. They paid attention to what was being taught in the "classroom" and right-away they apply the lessons. When i take them to dinner after they have qualified on the range just as i do the boys, every one changes from bea sharpshooter to a sharplooker. To the same dinner if i were a girl/lady i wouldn't let half the boys/men within 500 feet of me. You see if i'm lucky, four of the ten boys/men are dressed properly for the occasion. I don't take them to Micky "D's".

I think to answer your question the reason we don't celebrate the girly side of a boy is because in most cases he will see the task of having to learn a girly lesson as some sort of punishment and thus he will not give it his full effort, whereas girls/women consider any task they approach a challange and thus they give full effort to each and everyone, no matter if it be baking a cake, assembling a dress, ironing a shirt or shooting a deer, fixing the family car, flying a plane or what-have-you. First they learn the fundamentals of the project then they apply those lessons to the task.

I have to admit when i first fired a rifle in basic training i couldn't hit the bigger side of a barn but then when i had to do it for score i too paid attention to the basics of shooting and at once i got really really good. So good in fact, it nearly cost me my life. Some of that is shown in the story i'm posting in the story section of the forum. Bareing in mind that the story is mostly fiction there are some truths. Those truths are put there from personal experience not hearsay.

SarahLynn
    Last edited by SarahLynn; 12-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)

Aspiring Member
    SarahLynn, the top shooters for the TCU rifle team are women. I have taught outdoor education and one of the areas is archery. Guess who are the best archers in class. Boy does that pi** of the football players.

Back when I was going to school, I wondered why the girls seemed to lack any aggressive behavior, and seemed almost fragile. We'd get a laugh at some of the antics, but I would have preferred a more aggressive attitude like today's kids. And it seemed to be the same way in the classroom. Here it was easy to see how smart the girls were, but there was no drive for them to go into fields, like engineering.

I knew I wasn't going to raise my daughter that way. Playing like a girl these days is not much different from playing like a boy. And girls need to learn that type of play, if they plan on fields usually dominated by men, if they want more opportunities, if they don't wish to be a secretary or teacher, etc. (all noble fields in their own right).
    DonnaT