Thread: Transgendered Teenager

Transgendered Teenager

Last night we caught up with some old friend via phone, after wishing them a Merry Christmas my wife had a nice long talk with Debbie

Our friends have 4 kids three girls and one boy, all out of the house and the last one Nicholas, is in High School, Nick has always acted out and has been a problem behavior wise.

Nick surprised his family by asking to enrolled in cosmetology school this Sept.

Debbie was a bit vague, about what was going on in his life but said that "Nicki" was searching. When my wife ask if he was gay, Debbie opened up about him being transgendered

So it was a hectic time for the whole family but it seems they have come thru it well Nicki is so much more happier, he is seeing a therapist, his grades are up, and is looking forward to college. I don't believe he has started any transition but it appears they have given him room to explore.

I am proud of the way my friends have are supporting their child and happy to see that maybe more trans children will get the support they need.

I hope this is a sign that transgendered people are beginning to be understood and accepted in our culture

Just thought I's share this

Aspiring Member
    There is one specific person at the high school where I teach who is transgendered, although with over 2500 students there are many, many more than one. At the beginning of the school year an assistant principal sent out an email indicating the following:

Although a genetic female, this student considers himself a male and should be called ---------- not his female given name. All pronouns need to be "male" and no one should treat this person as female.

When you look at this person, he looks more Gothic than trying to be a stereotypical high school male by sagging pants, oversized sweatshirt and high top sneakers by wearing hair spiked, knee-high buckle boots with total length platform soles, black jeans with large studded buckle belt with various rock band tops.

This person is very "sweet" and in no way projects any type of ultra male behavior. I enjoy being around this student and give him a hard time about his windblown hairstyle and klunky boots. Because of his demeanor and dress I have a very difficult time thinking of him as a he. The other day I unexpectedly ran into him at Walmart and uncharacteristically, said "Merry Christmas, sweetie!" He just smiled and acknowledged out meeting but the next day at school he reprimanded me by asking why I had called him sweetie in front of his father. I apologized by saying, sorry, you caught me offguard and I was happy to see you; my mistake won't happen again.

Kids are coming out earlier in life, more than ever before and what is even more important is that their fellow classmates are accepting them. Of course, there are still a few around to make our lives miserable but they seem to be becoming a dwindling minority.

Arrow Re: Transgendered Teenager

There is a blog where a mother is writing about her teenage male who is TG, "Parenting the transgender teen". This post describes "DJ": http://transitioningfamily.blogspot....-militant.html She has other entries on the Parenting the transgender teen blog.

It's good to hear that Nicki's parents are accepting. The streets are too full of trans kids not so lucky.
    DonnaT

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    It's good to hear that Nicki's parents are accepting. The streets are too full of trans kids not so lucky.
    The streets are also full of trans adults who never had the oportunity or acceptance to even consider such an option.
    Some things have changed for the better.
    Pam

"I am a stronger woman than I ever was a man." Living full time since Oct 14th 2012.

Annie when I was in high school back in th 70s we had a few trangendered students but they were all ftm. No one dared confront them as the would kick your a$$ for doing so. Besides no one seemed to care about that like they would if a mtf had come to scool in a dress. Billie Jean

We never had any real interresting pupils like ftm's nor MTF's. We only had one rather spoiled male teen in the school who was constantly pushing against all authority. He would not follow the school dress code, and was given a copy of the code, and was told not to come back until he complied. He came back a few days later wearing a cute short dress. Having long ago demonstrated that he did not like the male dress code, he complied with the female dress code. In an unexpected spat of wisdom the school let him carry on wearing his little flowery dress until he tired of it. He shortly went back to male clothes, but wore also a long black cape, which I assume would indicate he was not TG nor even a real crossdresser. He was just an opportunist. I sort of envied him. I did not think it at the time, but looking back, I would have liked an opportunity to wear a cute little dress to school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billie Jean View Post
    Annie when I was in high school back in th 70s we had a few trangendered students but they were all ftm. No one dared confront them as the would kick your a$$ for doing so. Besides no one seemed to care about that like they would if a mtf had come to scool in a dress. Billie Jean

Platinum Member
    Thats really encouraging news. Its wonderful that they were enlightened and informed enough to find a way to support thier TG son rather than deny, repress or ostracize.

When I think of all the hiding I did....wonder what today would be like if I had parents like Nicki.