Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition amongst us gurls or...?

Competition amongst us gurls or...?

One thing I love about this community is that for the most part, we seem to stick together. Maybe it's survival instincts (since the rest of the world is against us), and groups tend to bind together when necessary, or perhaps for other various reasons. But regardless of the reason(s), I have found, in my short time, that we are very supportive of one another. Am I wrong?

The real question I am asking is if you guys think there is some level of competition between us? Whether it's healthy competition or more intense. For example, do you individually compare yourself (passable looks) to others? Or see other members comparing themselves to others? When I say this, I realize that it's natural and kind of unavoidable to not compare to some degree, but there is a line that separates a healthy comparison to that of which typically is followed by jealousy and envy.

Men and women in general both do this, usually about completely different things. With guys, it's typically whose car is better, or who has the biggest "whatever." and since this is a crossdressing site, I'll stick to one of the things that some women compete in, and that's clothes/looks in general...

Which leads to my last question, as MtF CDers do alot of us get caught up in what has generally been a female quarrel, or are we still too masculine to care enough about that drama? (this question is not directed at TS's, since they identify as female, and no disrespect is aimed at GGs here at all).

Hope this makes sense..

Peace & Love
    :::~Melody-Renee-Shaw~:::

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I'm not sure what you mean. I've known for a long time, when I go out that I'm one of the prettiest girls there.

Seriously, I try to look the best that I can. Other than that, I don't really care.
    Dana Ryan

Silver Member
    I have noticed this too.

Males are naturally competitive by nature, and want to be good at what they do and want to be the best if they can. Whether they are jocks arguing who is the best football player, gearheads arguing who has the best car, or the geeky guys like me arguing about who has the most Star Trek trivia knowledge, men are competitive. It is not surprising that some men who dress up would also be a bit competitive with each other. I don't feel it is a problem or a bad thing per se, provided it is good natured and healthy competition ("good sportsmanship") and it is not taken to an extreme.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 12-28-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaR View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I've known for a long time, when I go out that I'm one of the prettiest girls there.

Seriously, I try to look the best that I can. Other than that, I don't really care.
    I'm one of the pretty ones too.

I'm not in competition with anyone, I try to look my best, which isn't easy at my age, I'll be 64 next month and that I eat too many sweets.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Trying to find balance wishing2bali's Avatar
    I, unfortunately am guilty of this. I don't really try to compete, but I do find myself quite envious of some of features some of you have. Not naming names, but seeing certain people's pictures makes me want to strive to be that much more pretty/passable/good at makeup or what have you. I have tried to get over this hurdle, but for whatever reason I almost always fall victim to society's outdated view on how a woman should act, and look while in public.

Good post Melody!

In my case I'm not in a competition at all. I'm here to make friends and try to fit in. I'm working at becoming a better me. When I'm here I am Marleena and one of the girls. I compliment you other girls, and try to help out where I can. I do get envious sometimes of other girls if they look good. We all would love to look like supermodels, I'm sure.

I cringed the other day after telling another girl here she is beautiful, it sounded wrong in my guy mind. Afterall I'm in reality a GM complimenting another GM.lol I quickly dismissed it though as being Marleena (me) talking. GG's have no issues complimenting each other.

Aspiring Member
    I think that we all consider ourselves lacking in some feminine regard and that each one of us strives to become better than we currently are. I truly believe that is the feminine nature in each one of us and we try to learn from one another. I have noticed that even when we give advice it is with love and understanding. When we share an experience, we either emphasize or rejoice for one another. I know that we I start a thread or make a reply, I honestly want to read what all the girls have to say and their opinion. This is truly a forum for sharing and that is what makes all of us happy.

I also want to point out that there is nothing wrong with competition, especially if it pushes you to be better like Rachel said..

Peace & Love
    :::~Melody-Renee-Shaw~:::

Oh Yeah!! Get your skates and throw your sticks into the center ring!! I love to compete and do the best I can at what ever I attempt,... Have an ice hockey tonight at 11 pm to prove it. Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Brilliant question, if I ever sober up I'll try to formulate a meaningful answer! .. meantime, love 'n' kisses

Competition is fine with me, but when enfemme that's the least of my concerns. That being said when I do attend CD/TS/TG events I do have to admit that I do want to look better ( more femmy ? ) than the other ladies my age. So maybe I do have a competitive streak after all.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 12-28-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    As feminine as many of us strive to be, we are - at our core - guys. Testosterone flows through our veins. We are constantly on a fight-or-flight hair-trigger. Yes, we're competitive. It's our nature, some more than others.

Kathi

Somehow I really can't think in guy mode when I'm here.

Maybe I'm just weird, dunno..

For many years I avoided competition in any form because my self worth was so low that I could not tolerate another blow to it by being " less than " someone else. This was because I was raised in the sickness of being taught that you have no value unless you are better than others in every way possible by parents whose own sense of worth was built on the shaky foundation of comparison to others.

As I have struggled and found personal acceptance based on my own values and not what others define for me I have become open to seeing that competition can be a healthy way to test and better yourself without taking from another.

What I still do not know is if I'm comfortable with competition based on superficial qualities like physical beauty. I admire beauty and wish to be beautiful but I fear the risk to my own self worth that I have worked very hard to acquire because it than takes me back into the world of measuring myself against others with that win/lose mentality and I have noticed that I want to be the best looking person in the room so clearly I have not completely healed from past hurts otherwise I would be indifferent.

Beauty is a form of power and the more power you have the more power you want but power comes at the cost of self love and acceptance because it distorts reality

I think unhealthy competition is one of the reasons for bulimia, anorexia, depression and other labels. It is a vicious trap that sucks the soul dry. Before there is competition there must be self acceptance independant of ones relations to others.

I think that it's a sort of "cooperative competition." I like to look good but I have my limitations. I have friends who look amazing. They win, but that doesn't mean that I can't draw inspiration from them!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I started dressing late in life! And, am NOT aware of a feminine side!

As a man, I've always been very competitive. But, never about a guy's looks!
    Ever since I found out MANY really pretty women aren't worth the trouble in the long run!
    I may be as superficial as they come!

That being said, I've NEVER been jealous of another CD. Envious? MAYBE!
    And, Sherry can be a G-D deva! She thinks she's SO HOT sometimes that she NEVER considers there's any competition! Her competition is strictly WITH HERSELF
    No idea where THAT'S coming from!

I've met some really stunning women AND CDs! They have a lot in common. They all often turn out to be just regular folks if you treat them that way!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 12-28-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherry you just nailed it! I too am in competition with myself to look better.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    The only person that I have to be better than is myself. The goal is to become all that I am meant to be. Every now and then I get hooked into the competitive game, and I need to remind myself of where it leads. Macho pissing contests usually lead to someone getting wet, pay attention to the wind direction. LOL
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    the discussions have narrowed to the crux. Most of us are not in competition with others, but are focused on the internal competition to be the best we can be. I am relatively new, and an old crotchety fart, but i want to look as young and beautiful as i possible can. All i have to compare to is the other beautiful girls on this site. jealous, no, envious, yes, but in a positive way to attempt to extract what I can that I can use to feel my inner fulfillment. I will probably never pass, but I hope to get to the point where I can post pictures and feel that I have arrived and can hold my head up higher than i do now, and I do hold my head up. I am proud of who I am, and i do not want to ever embarass anyone else here.

So, yes, we all should use each other to better who we are. take the best, physically, and emotionally, and improve who we are. i am here, and i will get better, deal with it world, I am.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Being a very competive person by nature, I try not to care as much as I use to about certain things. In hockey I use to want win so badly I wanted to literaly kill the member from other team, but now I don't even know the score half the time and just enjoy the game and the beer afterwards. I still do my best but don't do everything to win as in the past I might have.

One thing I have found since joining this site is the great sense of sharing and caring that is present in so many posts. After looking at some many beautiful girls on this site, I am trying my best to be the best I can be, just like in the old Army ad. If I am able to learn from beautiful people, I am all for it. The people here on this site have taught me more in the last month than I would have learned on my own in a few years and for this I am truly greatful.

To sum up I am not in competion with anyone here, just trying to improve my look and take any and all advise given to me.

Cindy

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    Hmmmm ,

I think it is in human nature to be competitive, people both male and female are competitive , in different ways. Sometimes I see som girls here including the GG's and think, wow if only I could look like, or do what she does or had her attitude. Then again I also would like to think I encourage others to better themselves and to see themselves in a better light. I enjoy a bit of competition, who doesen't ?
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I used to be very competitive. Now not at all. I want to be the best me I can be. That means I admire and build up everyone I come in contact with. I have come a loooong way believe me. Always being on top usually means you only get one perspective and that is down on everyone else. When I use to race my r/c cars I always wanted to beat everyone all the time. So much so sometimes it wasn't fun. Now I run with both my kids and kids in the neighborhood and fun IS the most important thing. If we aren't smiling then we are doing it wrong. For some those juices just never quit and they have to be/or have the best of everything.

a beautiful metalhead JessicaM1985's Avatar
    I wouldn't call it competition, but I do like to look at all the girls here and see how I can improve my own look. I see it more as drawing inspiration as opposed to who's hotter. I can call that one right now; you gals are, hands down. But I'm trying and with the limited resources I have, it will be slow going. But that's ok, because I need to take those first steps slowly anyways.

If there are any here that are trying to be competitive with it, you need not be. The sad truth is that no matter how hot you are, there will ALWAYS be at least one person in the world hotter, and beauty in itself truly is in the eye of the beholder. That said, there's no reason why I can't try to look my best.
    "To deny our impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human...." - Mouse from The Matrix
    Love me or hate me, I will always be myself.

I'm just the kind of gal that likes death metal, beer, and "dad" jokes. Oh and I build computers and play PC games.

I don't compete with no one! I already know I'm the best that's ever been!
    Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone: