Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I ask for a feminine hairstyle?

a beautiful metalhead JessicaM1985's Avatar
    Well I know you aren't going to get the hairstyle you want unless you have good communication with your stylist. This was true of me getting guy hairstyles, so I can only imagine it more so for a girl hairstyle since more work goes into it. Ditto on both being honest and tipping well. Eyes are blind to gender when they are filled with green.
    "To deny our impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human...." - Mouse from The Matrix
    Love me or hate me, I will always be myself.

I'm just the kind of gal that likes death metal, beer, and "dad" jokes. Oh and I build computers and play PC games.

when i get my length back, im just gonna tell her i want swept bangs and layers! lol but you could try asking for a unisex do.

Banned Read only
    Simple - Just look in magazines for hair styles and colors your like
    and take the photo to the stylist and ask if they can do it for you.

These days, there is not much variation in what is feminine or masculine
    especially if you have straight hair.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    This would another vote against Supercuts or a similar establishment. Find a salon and get your hair cut. Get to know the stylist a bit and then tell her you would like to have a hair style that would go both ways (masculine and feminine). What I decided on is a "bob"; which I wear back in a pony tail, as a guy. I've had a few people cut my hair, in this style, the last 15 years and no one has ever had any comments regarding the style.
    Dana Ryan

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Years ago when my hair was long (past the shoulder blades)I went to the local trendy upscale salon run by a man no less.
    Told the stylist I wanted layers and she said well you have such pretty hair its a shame to cut in a masculine way can I cut it more like mine?
    I looked at hers and said yeah I love your hair you think it would look OK on a guy?
    She said I think it would look great on you so she did.
    I loved it and never had any one give me a hard time over it.Of course it was the 80's LOL
    If I were to grow it back out I would just go in a salon and ask for a femme cut.

Quote Originally Posted by johnthefisherman View Post
    I don't know if it's best to have an idea to tell the stylist or if I should say "just do what would look good on me if I were a girl." Obviously I can't just say that ...
    Actually, I think you can say that almost word for word. It's how I've approached all my stylists for the last dozen years or so, and they love making my hair look as feminine as possible. With rare exceptions, people in the beauty business are very accepting (and they like making you look good).

- Diane

If you're still nervous about being direct with the stylist you could call the salon over the phone and set up the appt. You could start off by saying I would like a hair appt. They will say sure a haircut? You say yes and I want to let you know I have long hair and need good advice on a style. They will probably say sure. Then you say I don't want to embarrass my stylist or other customers but I am looking for a very femme haircut and is that going to be "ok" with giving me one? This way you have cleared the air a bit over the phone and have shown them some respect. You'll probably get what you want this way too.

Good Luck

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    As usual, Honesty and openness rule the day. As for the other follicle challenged girls here, we will just use a heaver concealer to mask the green monster creeping in and fluff the wig a bit more....lol

Seriously, the overwhelming thought here is the best. Straight ahead with head and bras held high...

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I have done this several times, although not recently :-(. On all occasions, I was upfront about what I wanted. In most cases I dropped by the salon and explained what I wanted in person and they were very good about setting me up with someone understanding. I also took a few pictures in that I found on the internet to give an idea of what I wanted. All of my experiences were great, except one which was just so-so. In all of the other experiences, the stylist spent a lot of time showing me how to reproduce the look. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Brenn

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I would actually recommend not going to a place like Supercuts and go to a regular salon. If you find someone that gives you a cut you like, you will probably want to stay with the same person as long as possible. It just seems to me that the chains have a higher turnover and probably pay less, so you may not get the consistency that you want. Of course that can be true anywhere, but generally you get more when you pay more.
    This is very true. As a stylist myself, I can second these statements. I would like to expand...

At a chain salon, they are being timed. They want clients in and out of the chair. In fact when stylists interview at a chain salon like Supercuts, BoRics, Great Clips, etc... One interview question, I kid you not is -
    How fast can you cut hair?
    Instills confidence doesn't it? The stylists at chains do not care what you look like. They hate their job at a chain salon.

Now at a REAL salon, you will pay more (I pay $30 for my haircut and I tip my stylist, a friend of mine, $10. So $40 and I don't ever regret spending it)
    Thing is, when you find a stylist you like, get his or her contact info in case she moves to a new salon. The salon itself will try to keep you as a client but you want to stick with the same stylist you know and trust.

Professional stylists are not going to judge if you want a feminine haircut. They will work with you to find your best look.
    At a chain, they just want to rush you thru so they can make time.

Also they will recommend professional products at even a real salon that they will use in your hair. I would recommend at least the conditioner and any styling products they might use like hairspray, rough paste, etc... Yes it is expensive but this is your LOOK we are talking about. Cheap products really do suck.

Everything i say above is not just speculation or repeating what I have heard, it is stuff I KNOW, have learned in school, and seen in action.

If you just want your hair buzzed off like most men, go ahead and visit the chains. If you want to look GOOD (especially as a woman) then find a good stylist.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I was getting my haircut yesterday and opened this while waiting my turn. I could not resist showing it to my hairdresser. She
    really chuckled and said "Did you reply and tell him that you just brought an article with pictures and talk about feminizing hair styles for men and showed it to me ? hahaha"

After the first 60 seconds when she decided I was serious the world turned perfect.. She now gives me a style I can use in male mode
    or brush another way for fem mode. We have lots of fun chatting about it.

8rys, going on walkabout
    When I started to make transition I ran into this.

1. I bought a hairstyle magazine and marked a couple that I liked.
    2. Next I called some GG girlfriends and got recommendations for a stylist.
    3.Made and appointment and showed her styles from step one. After saying this " I live my life as a woman when out of work. I need a style that can work for either mode."
    4. Sit back and relax knowing you are in the hands of a pro, heck while your there you might as well get your brows done.
    5. Get styling advice and tips from your stylist, don't be afraid of small/girl talk.
    6. Pay stylist, if your happy tip them well. If your not happy see if they can fixit. AND remember a bad haircut last only a few weeks before it starts to grow out.