Thread: Browsing in drab?

Browsing in drab?

For a while I've been intrigued by the clothes in White House/Black Market in drab, but I've felt hesitant to go in there because I don't have the money to be able to buy anything there, unless they're having a sale I don't know about.

My question is, is it okay to go in the store with the intention to not buy anything? From some of the posts I've read on here, it seems like it would just piss off the SA's, and I obviously don't want to do that.

At some point in the future, I could see buying clothes there, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Any thoughts and/or feedback are appreciated.

I think if you are just browsing they are not going to care that much. If however you start asking for advice / assistance with no real intent to buy then I think that would become a little annoying for the sales assistants.

I own a small business. People don't buy stuff if they aren't in your shop to start with!

Quote Originally Posted by Adina View Post
    I think if you are just browsing they are not going to care that much. If however you start asking for advice / assistance with no real intent to buy then I think that would become a little annoying for the sales assistants.

I own a small business. People don't buy stuff if they aren't in your shop to start with!
    Oh, that makes more sense. They would only be annoyed if you took up their time since that's time they could use to be helping other people who actually will buy their clothes.

Thanks Adina!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I browse in drab all the time so don't worry.

I walk through a lot of shops without the intention of buying anything. Sometimes I buy something anyway! And yes, I browse in drab when I'm too close to home for dressing. There's no law against it and a surprising number of husbands shop for their wives.

I agree with Adina, as long as you are just browsing you shouldn't bother them too much. Just say "I'm just looking" and they should leave you alone. The worst thing for a shop is to be empty!

OTOH, if you are sure that the store is out of your price range (don't feel bad, I visited a WH/BM store with my wife and we decided that it was too rich for our blood) it might not be that good of an idea to tempt yourself. Yes, you could buy that $100 blouse you fell in love with, but you could have a lot more fun with that money elsewhere.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I browse, ask questions, maybe even try on. If it isn't what I want I say thank you and move on. When I shop I never know if I am going to buy anything until I see something that I think I would like. There is no problem to go in and browse and ask questions. Everyone does that. They might not buy now but come back later when there is a sale to see if what they liked before is on sale too. There is nothing at all wrong with that approach. Now, if a person stays half a day in a store trying on clothes and having the sales associate run all over the place, then it would be nice if something was bought. However, if nothing fit or looked just right, there is no obligation to buy something that you do not want. So, go browse, ask questions and be considerate of the SA's, no obligation involved. That is their job to serve and try to make a sale.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it.

I think I'll be headed to WH/BM very soon!

Hi,

Been doing that for many years & mail order & to check if the colours are right & the clothes will suit me & many times its go looking because the styles change , if you dont look & ask you wont know so it pays to check out & then when you see whats right then you know you can buy it, & both Jos & i do it ,

...noeleena...

Just watch how many women go into clothing stores and don't buy anything -- but if they (or me...) see somethng we really like (and is at the right price), well, that's a different story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calebsmithxd View Post
    For a while I've been intrigued by the clothes in White House/Black Market in drab, but I've felt hesitant to go in there because I don't have the money to be able to buy anything there, unless they're having a sale I don't know about.

My question is, is it okay to go in the store with the intention to not buy anything? From some of the posts I've read on here, it seems like it would just piss off the SA's, and I obviously don't want to do that.

At some point in the future, I could see buying clothes there, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Any thoughts and/or feedback are appreciated.
    You should feel 100% free, 100% of the time to walk into ANY retail store open to the public. Shop, browse, ask questions, examine the merchandise. There's no reason at all to feel uncomfortable or even hesitate.

Lea

I love to browse! I either buy or see something I could save up to buy later! If I don't see anything that I want then I'm just browsing! No big deal! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I think we put to much thought about what other people might be thinking when they see us shopping in drab in the womens department. It is normal for men to buy clothing for their wives. i just walk in and look to see if there is anything I what or I can put on my wish list.

Absolutely, browse away! The items in a store are ' offered ' for sale. That means they are giving anyone an opportunity to purchase something they are 'offering'. They are not telling anyone they must buy something and the job of the SA is to assist and possibly convince you to purchase, not demand you buy. Browse away girl!

Platinum Member
    That is the key to shopping. When I shop with my wife, she'll browse through several stores, making mental notes of the things she liked (and the prices). Of course, sometimes an item just grabs you and you gotta have it!

I try to do the same thing, but I'm still carrying enough residual male to rush the process a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Paine View Post
    You should feel 100% free, 100% of the time to walk into ANY retail store open to the public. Shop, browse, ask questions, examine the merchandise. There's no reason at all to feel uncomfortable or even hesitate.

Lea
    I need to make that into a bumper sticker or t-shirt or something. It totally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
    I think we put to much thought about what other people might be thinking when they see us shopping in drab in the womens department. It is normal for men to buy clothing for their wives. i just walk in and look to see if there is anything I what or I can put on my wish list.
    You're right. I wish I could get it through my head though.

Thanks again everyone and I'll keep you updated and let you know when I finally have the courage to go in there. I'm sure I'll get there someday. It didn't help that I didn't have a lot of time to browse since I was on my way to work.

Shoot yes; i actually on occasion have tried on stuff in drab.
    Last year about this time needed a dress went to Ross ( which i call Ross Cross-dress for less )
    Grabbed 4-5 outfits and went to the dressing room. Except apparently they have had thief problems cause the dressing rooms had an attendant. The lady looked my outfits over and gave me a card with the number of outfits. Went it tried on, gave her the ones i did not like and told her i think i will take this one. She smiled went to checkout BAM i was on my way...
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

I have never been in that particular store. However If I go out I do browse often. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. The reason the stores have these sales is to get people in the door. If you see something you really like though then buy it.
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Caleb,

You should most certainly go in and browse. When one of them asks if they can help you, simply say that you are just browsing. If you find something cute, ask to try it on. WH|BM is very friendly, and this comes from the corporate level. I have a few friends in upper management there due to a little "adventure" I had a year or so ago, and they told me that their goal is to make every person feel beautiful. Every person.

Kathi