Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female voice issues - how do you deal with them?

Female voice issues - how do you deal with them?

I have been watching several forums to see how different girls deal with voice issues when out and about and I wanted to see what ladies here have done. Do you speak softly in your male voice? Do you have a female voice already?

I purchased the set of MP3 lessons on finding your female voice and am working with them - but I need to find a better chromatic tuner to be able to follow the lessons.

On another website, one of the girls said she went to a speech therapist and while it was a far amount of money ($150 for the first visit and about $65 for subsequent visits) she got a passable voice after 4 visits, which I thought was just phenomenal!

So, how do you speak when out and about? Thanks!

Beats me. Some of us just don't have the right plumbing.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    There are a lot of YouTube videos that explain and demonstrate the whole process of reducing the use of the bass part of our voices. That immediately raises the pitch, but more importantly it requires a change in how you speak in order to overcome the lack of the bass. After all, women don't have much of that bass resonance and use their voices in different ways to generate inflections.

The easy part is the pitch. The hard part is learning to use voice and language as a woman. The best teachers are all the women around you. Just listen and learn

tina

Thanks, suchacutie! Did the Youtube videos work for you?

Also do a lot of practicing and it helps to record you voice and learn from it.

If I was to describe my voice I guess it would be close to a drill sergeant with a throat full of gravel. Its one of the reasons I don't go out fully dressed. Four lessons? Four years and $10,000 and I think I'd sound pretty much the same. :-\ Good luck though, I'd love to have a feminine voice.

You know on the upside of this, if I ever feel the need to be manly all I have to do is engage someone in a lengthy conversation. Helps to smooth out the bumps in the pink fog a bit and keeps me centered. So, maybe it's a good thing my voice is as it is, because centered is where I like to be :-).
    Last edited by Crysten; 01-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

My singing voice is like one of those Russian basso profundos and I have virtually no falsetto, so I can't sing in the feminine range. I don't want to lose the ability to sing in my range, so what I have to do is to concentrate on head resonance, wider range of pitches when I speak (instead of the monotone men tend to speak), draw out accents instead of hitting them hard, and speak with a breathier style. One thing that is in my favor is my voice is smooth and not raspy.

Johanna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

I just soften my voice, raise the pitch a little so it's not too strange and talk. If someone knows then they know...I just don't care anymore.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I just soften my voice! Must work 'cause I was ma-am and she-ed many times to day while shopping! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Charla, I thought the YouTube videos were fantastic. She talked about how to feel the bass part of the vocal cords, she demonstrated, and then showed the difference between the two sides of her voice. Functionally that was just fantastic. A week in the car to and from work and it was done for me.

Now I'm looking up videos where text is recited from a male voice and a female voice (same person). It is wild to see this really hip chic reading in a massively bass voice, and then to read the same thing matching the way she looks and acts. After the initial shock, it really is instructive to watch and listen to the differences and what they are.

Have fun!

tina

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I went to the University of Washington, Speech and Hearing Sciences and tried to work on a more effective female sounding voice. It was an interesting experience; which I probably didn't spend enough time with, but I did go there once a week for six months. I suppose my bottom line was, if you can't totally blend the voice isn't going to do that much. Just like everything else that you have to do to be like a girl, there is a lot of differences in voice and how they say things. It isn't all about pitch as some women have lower register voices. It is more about inflection, where guys are more monotone and flat sounding, with their voice falling off.
    Dana Ryan

Hi,

I have some advantages so not a problem for me sang in choirs so know my range as to singing ,

Tho really my voice is quite good & no training as such. Okay im I S & as im a woman so its working & it fell in to place, so you can say like my body language its normal as a woman should be. tho i can bawl some one out like a sargent, well why not some of my women friends can ......

...noeleena...

I've so far avoided conversations, but I have managed a few "thank you"s and "good mornings" in a higher pitched voice. I practice when I'm alone but I haven't recorded anything. I suspect I sound more like Michael Jackson than a real female though.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Charla View Post
    ...........- but I need to find a better chromatic tuner to be able to follow the lessons........
    Go to a larger music store in your area. They will have a selection of chromatic tuners.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I just talk with a soft voice, it probably doesnt fool anyone, thought I have been called Mr or Miss on the phone a number of times.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Read only
    I went to a local school and had a music teacher help me with my voice. Remember, speaking in a female voice is not something you can just change into and out of at will. It takes lots of practice and needs to be used constantly to remain steady and not crack when you do use it.

Not too long ago, Melody Moore posted a link to a video that was very easy to learn. I searched and can't locate it, of course. Hopefull Melody will stop by and know how to find it.
    Last edited by Jorja; 01-06-2012 at 10:22 AM.

I'm capable of doing lots of 'voices' for fun - I'm somewhat of an Impressionist amongst my friends - but the female voice is one that eludes me. I've learned lots of other voices relatively quickly, so maybe I can learn a female voice too.
    Weight Loss Club - Start: 259lbs, Current: 218.0lbs, Goal: 205lbs
    Come join us at the weight loss club in: Body Issues Section (membership required I think)

Banned Read only
    I'm also having a hard time forcing a feminine voice. I'm practicing as best I can without being obvious about it when I'm around other humans, and sorta just slowly hoping to blur it into a mix between masc and fem. Thus far, it is not working.

Of course, it doesn't help being hearing impaired. To me, masc and fem voices sound nearly identical, unless they are overly exagerrated. Say, Hugh Jackman in X-Men vs Random mid 20s female in other movie. Audiology tests also show that I don't even hear half of what a GG says (not in the bad way, but in the REALLY bad way), which is why they sound so similar to me. Also... Smoking hurts more than it helps... I was not aware of this.

The odd part is I can do such a wide range of masculine voices that I've been told by every one I know that I should do drama classes in school.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    A few years back I was talking to a lady that offered voice training, I told her what I was trying to do. She suggested that I pick up the movie "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" and study the actors' voices in the movie. She said that they did an excellent job on their voices.
    Dana Ryan

How do I deal with voice issues? Badly I fear! I try the "soften and raise pitch" thing and seem to do OK, but it really is the weakest link in my presentation.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

There are a lot of very sexy women who have what we call 'soft brown' voices... gravelly, deep... that's the place to be! The danger is we overcompensate and pitch too high and that can sound so false... record yourself and listen back... the sound is not what what you will hear in your head, but it will give you an idea...

Otherwise just be bold and go for it! Marilyn Monroe with a Walter Matthau voice!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I was thinking about wacking myself between the legs with a hammer just prior to leaving the house, but then I decided there are probably more constructive techniques out there someplace, lol.

Actually, I have only recently become curious about trying to produce an effective female voice. I am amazed at how well some are able to master it. I've been spending a significant amount of time surfing the net for CD/*******/TS/etc vid clips and such, finding the ones with people who have mastered it. Then I pause specific good examples of them speaking, replay it several times, and try to mimic the technique. It is a first step...a primitive one for sure...but a step nonetheless...and it sure beats the h**l out of looking at a speech instructor...heehee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    I found the video I was talking about. Here is the link.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...oice&highlight

Quote Originally Posted by retrofitme View Post
    I'm capable of doing lots of 'voices' for fun - I'm somewhat of an Impressionist amongst my friends - but the female voice is one that eludes me. I've learned lots of other voices relatively quickly, so maybe I can learn a female voice too.
    To read princess fairy tales to kids is a good excuse to practice female voice at home! Just remember to give right voices also to monsters ;-). It is also a good exercise to learn to change one voice to another very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    I found the video I was talking about. Here is the link.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...oice&highlight
    What a great practical video!
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan