Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which appearance is better for passing?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irenetancd View Post

I bought a new black-colored wig yesterday and went out clubbing. Yet, there were girls who just 'read' me straight out.

Of course there were other aspects that made me stand out like a sore thumb; awkward walking with heels, terrible makeup; insufficient hip size etc.

Anyway, I would like to hear your honest opinion about which appearance you prefer, for various reasons - passing, looks better, hotter etc.

Thank you very much.
    It must be the walking and the makeup and the hips, because you look great both ways. Such nice cheekbones! You can buy clothes and wigs and pads, and practice the other stuff, but Nature gave you a big leg up.

I do agree with the consensus here that the black one suits your coloration a bit better. It's hard to tell from just the head shots what else in your total look might be giving you away, such as whether the hairstyle suits your stature and shape as well as others might.

I've been through about 20 different wigs over the years, many just for fun but some to enhance passability (the former are the flossy ones; the latter, the more plain ones). It's hard to tell from the small photos, but it looks like you darkened your eyebrows for the black wig (or lightened them for the strawberry blonde). Good; an important detail that is often overlooked. I've used a concealer stick as a base to hold eyeshadow on the brows when I need to lighten the color. Get 'em sticky, put on the color, and brush it in gently.

With regard to hips, I, like many of us here, suffer from an anatomical condition called gluteus minimus...can you say "Veronica 2"?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbra P View Post
    I've been to enough parties of various kinds to have observed that women act completely different than men at social events. Women tend to be more relaxed, they may move to the music even when they are just standing, or sitting, talking to someone, and they aren’t particularly concerned that other women will think they look foolish, maybe fluidity describes it best, most women are very fluid in their movements, Men on the other hand tend to be stiffer, guarded about what they do and emotions they show and how other men may perceive them; decades of projecting the macho façade is a difficult thing to change.
    You nailed that, Barbra. Loosening up, especially when we feel ourselves to be under scrutiny, is one of the last frontiers of passing reasonably well, and don't we all loathe that we were conditioned to be "stiffer [and] guarded" about letting emotions flow? Women also tend much more to have a little smile that suggests serenity and keeping a little secret.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 01-11-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: merged - please use the multi quote button

great in both i am a sucker for red heads though

Both wigs look fine, but it's not the wigs or the clothes that will give you away. It is your physiognomy (forehead shape, brow, the distance between various points on your face, face width, chin, cheeks, neck, shoulders, etc, compared to the GGs who are standing next to you.

You can show us your face in a small pic here, but in real life and at life size, people you interact with will see you at hundreds of different angles and they will see every expression on your face. Some people won't clue in, but others are sensitive to subtle gender cues and they will.

Just put a big smile on your face and be proud! If you do get read, you will come off as someone who is confident in who she is!
    Reine

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    You appear very passable in both photos. The dark hair looks more natural and I would guess is closer to your natural color. The blonde look is more glamorous, at least to me. But in both you look very girly and naturally beautiful.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

I think a dark brown color would be more passable than the colors, but you look great in both of those photos. It takes a lot more than hair to bring off being female in a close-up situation like you describe.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I agree with most of the other posts, you look fine in both wigs ! Achieving perfection is hard, very few do, I certainally never have !
    Like you I have shoulders broader than my hips. I've used hip forms many times in the past but found them very uncomfortable in hot weather, I don't bother at all now. I find buying dresses to fit my shoulder size (16-18uk) in an A-line style or with a looser body fit more flattering to my shape. It's cooler in the summer too !
    Last edited by Amanda Stubbs; 01-05-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spelling !

Silver Member
    The black wig looks best, the black matches your skin tone better and looks more natural (I assume your real hair color is black?)

omg are u serious? your lovely,in both! passable? overrated,feel good, look good and as my wife said....put your shoulders back...lol

Passing in pictures can be relatively easy for some people IMO. Your mannerisms and behavior are going to be much easier to "read."

But, just going by pictures...I say go with black. The lighter color is easier to "read" mainly because it looks more like a wig.
    "Today a young man [...] realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively...there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.”-Bill Hicks
    “What freedom men and women could have, were they not constantly tricked and trapped and enslaved and tortured by their sexuality! The only drawback in that freedom is that without it one would not be a human. One would be a monster.” East of Eden by Steinbeck

I Loved Those Blue Shoes crossIsFun's Avatar
    Might just be the camera angle or lighting but the left brings out yourface/cheeks in a more passible way to me.

I tyhink they both like natural on you.When you look this nice I would not change!

You need to go with you natural hair color when choosing a wig, that has been my experience when wearing wigs that are my hair color.
    Whe I have worn wigs that were too blonde, or too dark my being read rate goes up dramatically. I see peaple notice me, and then do a double take (look), because they read me. When your hair color is a sharp contrast to you skin peaple notice you more, and it does not matter if you are a man, woman, or a crossdresser.

Banned Read only
    I think the black wig suits you better and would make you 'blend' more with the expectations/bias of the crowd. That being said I personally think either wig gives you nice presentation. Like others have stated, it is probably the male mannerism or absence of female mannerisms that may give you away. Adding more of an hour glass figure or wearing a dress gathered under the bust may obscure the lack of hips. I've watched many of the presentation instructional videos on YouTube and elsewhere which point out female mannerisms (walking in heels, leg crossing, etc). But, just sitting in the mall and sipping coffee, I think you would not get made until a guy tries to pick you up close in and personal.

Given your ethnic appearance, I would say that black would be more passable in a generic sense. But passability is much more than just one or two elements. As you have indicated it is a whole-person issue.

I'll be biased and say I like the blonde one
    hEll

You look very passable (appearance wise) with black wig. It suits your face very well..

Quote Originally Posted by Shananigans View Post
    Passing in pictures can be relatively easy for some people IMO. Your mannerisms and behavior are going to be much easier to "read."

But, just going by pictures...I say go with black. The lighter color is easier to "read" mainly because it looks more like a wig.
    The moment I saw this thread I remembered myself posting a similar thread and your response and then I see you here. What a coincidence.

I cant say you look amazing in both

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Ooh ... it's a tough call as they both look good but I have a slight preference for the black one.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Both are great, but I prefer the black wig.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

You look great in both pics. May want to work on the other aspects like you said, hip size, heels, etc. Either hair color looks great on you.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

Quote Originally Posted by Dana7 View Post
    Given your ethnic appearance, I would say that black would be more passable in a generic sense. But passability is much more than just one or two elements. As you have indicated it is a whole-person issue.
    Given the fact that Asians outnumber us by like 10 to 1 globally, WE are the "ethnic" people. We are the weird round-eyed people from far away northern europe, and they are normal folks. You may think this is strange, but I believe it's true.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

Honestly I dont think you could be read unless you talked without mastering the voice or other little things like unpracticed walking or gestures. You look VERY good so I dont think it has to do with your hairstyle.

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    either one,,,you look fantastic.....prolly go bald and pass no problem
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    I like the dark hair the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    Ok first thing, you are gorgeous. So is passing really all that important?
    Passing in public is always important.