Thread: Shampoo

Shampoo

At the salon. The shampoo lady has finished, my hair has been clipped into ringlets and I'm under the dryer. Why does it feel sooooo good to have someone shampoo and fuss with our hair? Is it just the sensual feel? Or is it like comfort food, taking us back to when Mom used to do our hair when we were little girls?

Hugs,
    Persephone
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

That's a nice reminder. My mom used to wash my hair all the time and even into the teen years, sometimes I would ask her to wash it, just for the closeness with her.

And yes, it feels great to have my stylist wash and put my hair up in clips and trim the split ends and then using a hot round brush and blow dryer, brush it under. Except for the washing, I guess it's receiving the feeling of all the other I didn't get when I was a child. And I love styling my hair every other day at home with the round brush and blow dryer.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

Gold Member
    I was at a stylist's house last night who is also a good friend (and I apparently just missed another member here). She and another stylist were doing each other's hair while we talked. While getting shampooed, they would both tell the other to not stop. It is like a massage, so it is relaxing.

I was discussing this post with my SO and said... what part of this post doesn't make sense.... to which he said the same thing as me, the bit I've quoted below...

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    taking us back to when Mom used to do our hair when we were little girls?
    Little girls this doesn't make any sense to me and it doesn't make any sense to my SO either (who is a CD)....

Let's face it, who exactly remembers our mothers washing our hair at a young age?
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post

Let's face it, who exactly remembers our mothers washing our hair at a young age?
    The only time I remember my mum washing my hair was when I had nits...and she was bloody rough.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

This sounds very similar to when I can first rembember.
    My grandma would wash all of us kid hair when we stayed at her house when little.
    I grandma didn't someone of the aunts would give us kids a bath.
    I still rembember it fondly
    "Do not wish to be anything but what you are."
    ~Saint Francis de Sales

Very good point.
    I was at a salon/spa a couple of weeks ago, and I had a hair dresser, and a younger apprentice whose job was to wash my hair, while the hairdresser did all the cutting. I had to have some flyaways trimmed off.
    The apprentice spent a good couple of minutes massaging my scalp, not just putting shampoo in my hair and sprinkling water in it. It felt absolutely marvelous. That's what you get when you go to a spa.
    Keyword here is spa.

...Little girls this doesn't make any sense to me and it doesn't make any sense to my SO either (who is a CD)....
    It made sense to me. If we consider ourselves to be female, as many of us do, it makes sense to say that we were little girls in our childhood.

I can't say that I remember my mother washing my hair, but I use my wife's salon for my drab mode haircuts and love the sensation of having it washed, cut, and dried. Much nicer than a barber haircut, and the hairdresser even charges less than a barber!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Bald, bald, bald..mumble mumble, grumph grumph..............

Shampooing for me is more like scalp polishing.....

Giggles.

It really is nice you hairy beasts can find something pleasurable to do with all that excess. My pleasure comes from getting it out of the box...

Hugs and kisses for you all, Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I never felt like a little girl getting my hair done because in the late 60's it was cut with clippers and the #2 setting and that was that. I'm bald so I can't go see the hairdresser very often which sucks. If I could get a human hair wig and go get washed, curled and dried under a drier then I think I might be in heaven....

Thumbs up

I was thinking the same thing Wednesday night when I got my hair cut. Very relaxing and invigorating- through two washes, and then the tea tree treatment... I think I now have a regular stylist.

At the salon. Or is it like comfort food, taking us back to when Mom used to do our hair when we were little girls?

Hugs,
    Persephone
    Is that what mom was doing? I thought she was first trying to deafen me by filling my ears with water, and finally trying to drown me.

I bloody well do!!! No one in our house was going to be called 'lousy'. Four kids in fact, one right after the other in the kitchen sink. And she scrubbed our heads like she was sanding a car for a paint job!! Then the hand dryer job with the towel that was hung on the clothesline; not the softest article of cloth in the house, trust me!!!!!! Finally came the waves she would put in my hair by pinching hair between two fingers, a press and hold for five secinds principle. I hated the waves!!!!!

Trouble.. Yep thats me Beth Mays's Avatar
    I do well to remember washing my own hair this morning.

Beth
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator):
    What we do in this life, echoes in eternity..

You can fine me here on Facebook!

I remember my mom washing my hair when I was as young as 6 or 7.
    Danielle

The only times I can remember my mom doing my hair for me it pulled like hell. Mainly because I was a little hooligan tomboy who would get horrid knots I couldn't get out myself... my first favourite hair care product was Johnson & Johnson's 'No More Tangles'! When I was a bit older, I was in a performance group that had very VERY specific hairstyle requirements... so that was tight, too. Ow!

It must be nice to have somebody fuss over your hair, and the satisfied feeling after it's done. For me, having a bald noggin, I can never enjoy that feeling. Alas, all I'll ever be able to do is get my wigs professionally washed and styled.
    At the salon. The shampoo lady has finished, my hair has been clipped into ringlets and I'm under the dryer. Why does it feel sooooo good to have someone shampoo and fuss with our hair? Is it just the sensual feel? Or is it like comfort food, taking us back to when Mom used to do our hair when we were little girls?

Hugs,
    Persephone
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Princess in the making SandraAbsent's Avatar
    The salon and spa is a defining experience for a woman. Men buy themselves things like motorcycles, cars, and boats, or they may treat themselves to a round of golf. These are all things that woman do as well, but typically they are men things to do. Men also typically go to barbers and a barber will hardly ever wash your hair before he cuts it, and if he does the chances that he knows anything about things like shampoos, conditioners, products in general is slim. There have been more and more men oriented salons opening in larger cities. A good trend if you ask me. Before I started growing my hair out in anticipation of living full time, I did not know a thing about hair. I would wash it with hand soap FFS. To me a comb was something I used to slick my hair back with gel. Knowing nothing about things like how to use a round brush, how blow drying in the direction of growth and then brushing back the other way will give you volume, that shampooing every day was a horrid thing to do to your hair. So for me going to the salon has been a delightful learning experience! As far as having my hair shampooed by someone else? All I can say is make sure you take a makeup travel kit with you! Most stylists dont think about the fact that most women dont need to redo their makeup after seeing them. For many of us make up is essential Other than that, I consider it all a part of my right of passage into womanhood...the trip to the spa!
    Life inside the music box ain't easy
    The malots hit the gears are always turning
    And everyone inside the mechanism
    Is yearning
    To get out

http://sandra-absent.blogspot.com

I think that Sandra is on to something. Having someone else pay attention to you in a non-verbal way is very affirming and is something that males never experience from anyone with the possible exception of their SOs. Even with SOs, men tend to initiate more physical attention to women than women initiate with men. It might be that we are perceived as not wanting that attention, and our society-enforced sense of stoicism adds to that perception.

The salon that I go to (in drab) is an incredibly friendly and positive environment. Regardless of one's overall appearance the stylists and other customers always have something nice to say about some aspect of a person's appearance. My stylist always has a hug for me and every other customer when we arrive or leave. That's something that males just do not experience in their normal lives, and it seems that many of us long for that sort of attention.

A GG may view these observations as shallow or superficial, but when you live in a vacuum any breath of air is a big thing.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]