Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody else go through phases?

It's common for most of us. It has always been that way for me but you are half way there to figuring out why as you notice it's when you are single. My phases on where far shorter then off. In my teens, maybe a couple of years, then nothing until 25. Again for a year + then nothing until a couple of years ago but that was just to figure out why I had done it in the past in the first place after a TS friend of mine encouraged me to do so. Dressed almost everyday for close to a year and figured out that during each phase I did in the past was during really bad times in my life. Obviously did it for comfort of some sort, looking for some type of connection. After I figured all that out, it stopped again. Now a year and a half later, I have dressed a few time but it doesn't feel like I fell in the pink cloud, it's more out of boredom. I split from my Wife over 2 years ago and have been alone since, no dates whatsoever. I need to get out of the house and find new hobbies LOL.

It's at the point for me when I look back I think to myself, "Did I actually do this?" I've gone through down times before but never where I actually questioned why I ever done it.
    Brittany

The longest period of abstinence I had was from a few months after I started dating my wife until just after we got engaged, so I guess that was a little over a year. The urge was completely gone - no desire to dress whatsoever. What changed? After being out one night, we got back to her apartment. She had been wearing these awesome T-strap heels that looked amazing on her. She took them off, grumbling about how much her feet hurt, and thought it would be funny to put them on me. She slid one shoe on my foot, and it fit almost perfectly! I nearly passed out...she took it right off and that was that, but the next time I had an opportunity to try on those shoes...back on the wagon ever since. I also took an extended break when my first child was born (I was NOT going to be a cross dressing dad! No way!), and that lasted until the 9/11 attacks. Many people decided life was too short, and my reaction was to fall back into something that gives me the greatest comfort. Never been off for more than a couple months, max, since then.

i agree with what you said barbara jo... it is true. let me take it a step further. it doesn't have to be a break up, it can be just getting bored of sex with that girlfriend or having a girlfriend or wife thats not sexual enough for our libido, being sexually unsatisfied. we then find the sexual diva that we are looking for in ourselves by becoming her....

I am the same way. I've had periods of non-dressing, not even a thought or desire, and then slowly, the desire came back. Each time, it's come back stronger and stayed stronger. Currently,I don't dress everyday, but I address Cassie everyday, either by reading and sometimes replying to the postings here, looking online for clothes, or maybe just putting on a blouse. I think for me, I am gay, so I don't have a wife and never really had a LTR BF, when I had other major issues going on in my life, primarily, job related, I did not dress. It's when I'm relaxed, alone, no major pressing issue for me to address that Cassies..says.. Hey.. It's Cassie time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBound View Post
    When I'm with my girlfriend I enjoy being a male.
    Is this a new girlfriend when the feelings are still at a high and you both are releasing all the dopamine, oxytocin, and elevated levels of testosterone and estrogen at the beginning of a relationship? This is the first stage of love and these feelings abate in most relationships, the experts say usually after six months to two years, when the relationship moves on to the emotional attachment stage. Do you think your desire to CDress would return then?

If so, it's an indication that your CDing is sexually motivated. You enjoy the thrill or the high of it all, and you don't need to CD as long as you experience these feelings when you are in the throes of new love. In other words, you really like to experience this particular type of high (some people are addicted to the hormones it produces) and you've perhaps discovered that you can provide these feelings by yourself when you are not infatuated with someone.

Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    When the thrill of seeing, touching, etc. with her dies down a bit, that feeling you lost will be back. Just be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by karen.k View Post
    it doesn't have to be a break up, it can be just getting bored of sex with that girlfriend or having a girlfriend or wife thats not sexual enough for our libido, being sexually unsatisfied. we then find the sexual diva that we are looking for in ourselves by becoming her....
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Sounds like you are relatively young Crossbound? When I was a young guy I was very serious about being a guy with my girlfriends and at those times I definately thought that this would go away When I met the woman I married I didn't dress until several years into the marriage... managed not to go there for a few years... but I had the house to myself for a whole weekend doing gardens and repairs etc... and the urge came back big time!

Don't get me wrong even now, I can go a few days or weeks and not feel paricularly bothered... but I know I won't last long and don't even try holding out. When Kaz wants her share... I embrace the return! Yesterday I didn't dress at all.. no desire. Not a good time in my life... lots of difficult stuff to deal with, even most of the day... just got on with stuff... but tonight she is back... not so strong... but she is enjoying herself and I don't want to go to bed!

Kaz you are spot on with this comment. This is just exactly how I am. When Fiona wants her share she just has to have it, but I can go weeks with out any desire to be her, then "bam" she wants attention. When I first met my wife Fiona went into complete isolation but slowly over the years she has come back and I would not be with out her now. I decided long ago not to fight her. I am what I am but I do wish I had mentioned it to my wife at the start of our relationship. I'm pretty sure she knows but she chooses not to bring it up, and we are still as much in love now as we were 32 years ago when we first met so why spoil it.

[QUOTE=Karren Hutton;2715029]My phases are much smaller and more like obsessions of the day.... I'll be marching along.... "Squirrel!!". boom.... I'm off on a tangent... Phasettes...

Karren, I know what you mean. I’m getting more like you every day. Should I be worried?

SUZY

Cerebral Ninja
    I Flow in and out. It's normal for me
    "Just follow your heart, that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite

@CourtneyGlenn91 - Twitter

Facebook

It seems to be like the tide in the ocean.
    Laura

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    Karren, I know what you mean. I’m getting more like you every day. Should I be worried?
    Only if they don't have hockey rinks in Hampshire.

Platinum Member
    Hi Brittany, I dress almost every morning and evening sone evenings
    I don't feel like dressing then I log on to the forum then something
    magic happens and here I set all dressed feeling pretty.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The only phase I haven't gone through in the last 10 years or so is the complete purge. The "off" times seem to be getting shorter lately also.

Hmm, these are interesting thoughts.

I think that when I'm in a relationship with a girl, I do tend to dress less. I guess the explanation that you're getting enough feminine vibes around you makes sense, but that still doesn't explain why when I know I have female friends coming over I don't change clothes (back to guy clothes)

I guess there's a part of me that just feels right this way. I would do it at work if I didn't know it would make everyone else uncomfortable. Too bad we live in a world full of all kinds of ridiculous expectations.

I find that when I have spent a lot of time amongst female society I am less inclined to cross dress, maybe it's a testosterone/estrogen balance thing?

I've always gone through phases, I don't know if can pin down a timeframe of how long they last, but I can say I've gone through 2 full purges about 4 years apart. And in that time there was a good year where I didn't even think about dressing. However, I was also living with roommates so it certainly cut down on the opportunities to dress (and caused a number of close calls... as I am out to no one as a crossdresser). Anyway, about 5 months ago I got my first apartment by myself... so the crossdressing is on in full force at this point. and Considering I work out of my apartment, I spend a lot of time en femme now. Way more than I ever had before. In the last month there has probably been 1 day where I didn't change at some point, where as, living with roommates prior, there might be one day a month where I did dress.

When I was younger, I would go for years after a purge with no or little desire to dress again. After 3 of these cycles, and 25-30 years of maturity, I have come to understand that I can't ignore these feelings, and have come to accept my fate.

I have steadily grown my clothing collections, wear panties always and bras more and more now, and am always looking for oportunities to go all out when the chance comes along.

I am very close to telling my SO what I have been keeping from her for years, although I suspect she already knows. and hoping to gain the feedom to dress always as I feel.

The point, as I have learned, you can't ignore these feelings you have for ever, the sooner you accept that, the more at peace you will become.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBound View Post
    I'm finding that I seem to go through phases when wanting to dress. Lately I have had no desire to dress. I have met a new girlfriend and when I'm when I'm with her, I have know desire to be a girl. It seems like when I'm between girlfriends is when I have the strongest desire to cross dress. When I'm with my girlfriend I enjoy being a male. I'm beginning to wonder if my desires to cross dress come because I miss having a significant female in my life? Anyone else feel this way? I haven't dressed in about 2 weeks and have no desire to do so.
    I experience the same phenomenon. Over the years, I narrowed it down to two things: 1. the underlying desire to crossdress is for me a knee-jerk reaction to loneliness. My first intimate relationship was as a child, with another boy who liked me dressed as a girl. Over the years, as he would get interested in real girls, and decrease our time together (which was my only source of affection), the only relief from the withdrawal from the loneliness was when I got dressed up and acted like a girl for him. Several years of that during my developmental years resulted in a conditioned response which connected crossdressing to the feeling of comfort from physical contact. Because of the stage of development I was in when it all happened, it resulted in a permanent part of my personality.
    2. When I'm involved with a woman and have a source of physical affection, that reaction does not take place, or does so in such a limited way that it's easily suppressed by contact with her. So the crossdressing desire is usually almost always completely gone, or easily quashed by the readily available love and affection I receive from her.
    It takes about 6 months after losing the regular physical contact in the terminated relationship for the need for affection to trigger the desire to crossdress. Like Pavlov's dogs, my yearning for affection makes me want to be a girl, even though the affection I received from dressing and behaving as one no longer results in receiving any affection; after dressing up and embracing my feminine feelings, the anticipation of affection which never gets the response it needs eventually exhausts me and I fall asleep, with no sexual feelings involved at all (I very rarely masturbate when 'en femme' and the feelings aren't connected to that state. When it does occur, it seems to be caused by feelings of arousal from looking at beautiful women in a girls fashion magazines/ads or seeing them in pretty clothes while browsing the net). This is perhaps why I have never been the one to break off a relationship; I desperately cling to that which satisfies my most important need: Affection. Because as we can easily satisfy our need for sexual release, that urge is take care of. But we can't give ourselves a hug. You can't satisfy your own need for physical affection. Trying to use sexual satisfaction to do that only results in physical exhaustion, which for a while (endorphins released during orgasm) suppresses the need for affection. But the need quickly returns, which for men, makes us think it's only sex that we want more of. Read my bio for more information about all this.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

The weirdest phase I've ever gone though was pretty recent... when I shaved my legs for the first time. Because I did not crossdress for a week after that. Apparently the shaved legs were enough to satisfy whatever the crossdressing thing inside me is.

go figure.

Banned Read only
    Holy crap, OP! I sure hope I'm going through what you're going through. That'd make my life quite a bit easier to live. (By that I mean... I should be getting a GF any day now, yay!)

Actually, it's my second biggest theory of why I CD at all.

Also, I do go through similar phases. I have no desire to dress during medium level stressful events, like right now, with a new semester of school starting. But then I have a huge desire to dress when the stress drops back down to near zero, and I get comfortable with my schedule and stuff. As well, I've noticed the desire goes up when I have no friends, and down when I have more than zero friends.
    Last edited by GBJoker; 01-18-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Clarification purposes