Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: have you tried on anything feminine while shopping in public en-drab (not while CD)?

I've held dresses up to my self and tried on some shoes and boots a couple of times.

AnitaH

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Typically, I never try things on in drab because without the correct padding and forms as I can never really tell if it's going to look good or not, that is unless it's just a top or sweater, so no, not really .... BUT ... you said that we would be "able to be seen by others trying on" things and in that case yes, shoes! I have many times openly tried on women's shoes tested them out for comfort by walking around and others when totally in drab and yes others did see me and some even looked at me oddly and presumably thought I was very peculiar LOL
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Shoes at my local payless, the two SA there are always really kind with me.
    Also have tried skirts at oldnavy and some clothes at goodwill.
    Last edited by naye; 03-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.

I try shoes on all the time. Have done jeans before too.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Not surprisingly, it appears the large majority of us have done so! How else are you going to know if the items fit? Have done so successfully at Penneys, Sears, Ross', Kohls, Walmart, Target, etc - all using the male changing rooms - never a problem.......

I've tried on women's pants and jeans at H&M, Hot Topic, and TJ Maxx. I ended up buying the pants at H&M.

I've also tried on what I think were women's boots at Burlington Coat Factory.

Finally, I tried on and bought a girl's shirt at Zumiez.

No issues any time.

My next milestone is going into a women's store and browsing. After that, if I find anything, I would hope I'd have enough courage to ask to try on the item (or items) of clothing.

Aspiring Member
    I have tried on skirts and blouses while under-dressed as a woman but with drab outer wear on. I really want to go out completely dressed as a woman and do my shopping as a woman not just shopping for clothes but also do my grocery shopping as a woman and to buy makeup as a woman.

Yes. All the time. I try all my clothes and shoes on before I buy them - especially shoes. I either take what I'm interested in to the dressing rooms (mens) or just try them on right there. For the most part, SAs have seen it all before and are often helpful in finding the correct size etc.

yep.. actually have. usually outerwear or jeans tho. a few buttonfronts, but no dresses, skirts, or heels.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I always try on shoes before I buy them. Shopping alone or with my wife I've certainly held things up to me and she has held them up to me as well. We've also bought cosmetics together, talking about Tina needing this or that and handing them to me if she found something she liked!

tina

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Speaking of shoes, I spent all day at a local mall, part of which was at Payless and The Shoe Dept, trying on numerous shoes (en drab) at both before finding a comfy pair of cute loafers at Shoe Dept. As soon as the SA rang me up, I went out into the mall, sat down and swapped them out with my walking shoes and spent the rest of the day walking in them - no problems at all....

Also bought 3 V neck tops, some socks, 2 sports bras and my 1st fem handbag. Sad to say, despite numerous trips to the dressing room, I could not find a pair of jeans that I liked (or fit just right). Maybe tomorrow.......

told the clerk it was for halloween, ended up with a couple nice tight tanks that could be layered and a couple pairs of jeans

The funniest thing that happened to me was,I was shopping at a Goodwill store and what looked to be a grandfater and grandmother with two granddaughters about 17&16 were standing in front of the clearance rack and wouldnt leave. So I went to the shoe asile and began to browse when one of the the girls walked up to me( I foregot to mention I was wearing a polo shirt,kahki shorts and tan pantyhose and deck shoes] and rubbbed her legs against mineI didnt think about it until later the grandmother went to the counter and said in a exasperated voice 'theres a man in the back wearing pantyhoe'. I was up front by now. Every one gave her a look like she was crazy. I was up front by now laughing to myself. life is fun!!
    The dress doe's not make the Man!

Silver Member
    Yes, I've tried on about anything a woman would wear at one time or another. I've tried on bras in the lingerie department to dresses in the dress department. I've tried on lingerie and womens clothes at Marshal's and most of the other discount stores, but use the men's side.

I've tried on shoes in the women's shoe department along side my wife. Just the other day a woman told me she liked my shoes and showed me her's that were about the same as mine while I was shopping for some new ones.

A store will pretty much sell you anything... I used to work at JCP and the policy was that if you were dressed as a woman you could use the women's dressing room. I have also been to VS and had bra fitting done, and the SA was completely professional, helping me with size, style, amount of lift etc

I've tried on quite a few things in stores, from lingerie to skirts, and guess it counts as public as anyone could have seen me taking them to the changing rooms. That said, I make an effort to shop at quiet times and reduce the chance of people noticing - still a little shy.

Similarly for ladies shoes, which I've only started buying this last year, the first couple of times I found a quiet aisle where no-one could see. (It was one of those cheaper shops where all the sizes are already out on the shelves). The last time I bought heels though, I surprised myself with my boldness by not only asking an SA to bring my size, but by trying them on in the middle of a fairly busy shop, with stockinged feet! I even walked in front of the mirror a bit. A couple of people might have glanced over, but no-one seemed to care. I'm starting to realise that people generally don't.

at first i purchased everything on-line from the security of my home. with each day it gets a little easier for me to go out and buy purses, shoes and make-up...hopefully very soon i'll be able to walk into a store and buy skirts, dresses, bra's and panties...hopefully!!

Quote Originally Posted by kerrianne View Post
    I have gone many times in male mode shopping for dresses, skirts, etc. I'm honest with the sales associate most of them knowing me when I walk in en feeme or in drab and welcome me with open arms.one of my favorite stores to shop in is bebe.love their clothes. In fact many times the s/a encourage me to wear what I bought right out of the store as they always say it looks cuter than what I was wearing when I walked in. Be honest from the word go and have a ball.
    If you can shop at bebe I envy you your size! :-) I've had a few 'standoff-ish' encounters with staff at some stores, but this was some years ago. I'm sure both the stores and myself are getting better at this...

Yes. Shoes and clothes. I even tried on some tops (over a t-shirt) out in the open instead of using a dressing room.
    DonnaT

Since I dress in mixed mode anyway, I do all most all of my shopping "en drab." Only once was a Talbots store rude to me.

When I was in SoCal I found this boutique that carried full fashioned stockings. I went in and started looking. An SA asked me if I was shopping for a gift or for myself? I blurted out "myself". The next thing I know I'm trying on these gorgeous platform heels, dressed as a man mind you. The store was full of women and some offered genuine compliments, and none seemed offended. I bought the shoes and decided to get a waist cincher. The SA helped me try it on in the dressing room. I wore it home. It is still to this day my favorite shopping experience.

I am still pretty much in the closet other than a few items in front of my GF so I do the "pissing money into a dark hole" routine. I am usually buying things that don't fit but I did go to a mejiers over the holiday and found two sweater dresses at $5 each on a clearance rank that I had to have I didnt try them on but a SA approached me and asked if I needed help and I asked her if the dresses would fit me and she said Yes and not another word was said.

Which surprised even myself that I asked her that because the first time I tried to "be brave" and shop I had a really bad experience at another store which is for another time.

My wife agreed to help me look for a pair of heels so we went to Payless. The store was empty when we got there and we quickly found my size towards the back. Of course, as we are standing there looking at the selection, a large lady comes around the corner to look in the same area. I waited but she wouldn't leave so I finally just tried on a pair of sling backs. They didn't fit so we moved on to look somewhere else. Since then, I have tried on shoes at Payless several times and bought a pair of pumps.

I have been thinking of shopping at Kohl's and trying on some women's clothes. I figure I can just drop some items in the shopping carts they have and head for the men's dressing rooms which aren't supervised.

I only ever present as male (underdress only) so anytime I try on in a store (Fredericks, VS, JCP, Sears, Target, Kohls, you get the idea) I always do so en-drab. Only once in VS did I have an issue. SA must have been new and had to "check with the manager" before showing me to a dressing room. Use mens changing rooms in department stores and I go whereever they put me when in VS or Fredericks. The enthusiastic SA's make it all worth while.

This is why the site is so amazing, I never thought of going into a department store grabbing clothes and trying them on in the mens dressing room. I always thought I had to take them buy and hope they fit. Thanks