Thread: Food for thought?

joannablake

Lightbulb Food for thought?

Hey girls I am currently reading a book called my gender wook book by kate barnstein. And came across and interesting article in the book which I thought I would share with you. I hope you dont mind.

The sorce was from the Associated Press:

San Diego CA, A species of fish that can change sex, altering genitalia and behaviour to suit social circumstances, has been discovered off the coast of Okinawa, Japenese and American researchers report.

The tropical fish normally lives in the groups of on dominant male and serveral females. If a larger male comes along, the dominant male changes into a subservient female; If something happens to the new dominant male, the largest female becomes a male, even if it was a male once before.

It has generally been believed taht such changes are irreversable.
    Biologist Matthew Grober of the University of Idaho told a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience Sunday that at least three species of fish, a variant of the gobi called Trimma Okinawae, had been identiefied that could change sex repeatedly when required. Restructuring of genitalia and their brain takes place about four days.

The discovery is significant because the brain region involved in the sex change is the same region recently suggested to cause transsexuality in humans, Grober said.

I thought this was interesting since scientist are still struggling to find out how frogs do it.

Just food for thought

Having a Bubblegum Crisis Priss's Avatar
    Wow, I'd heard of the frogs, but not the fish...

Just goes to show you just how normal we really are...
    Priss

I want to live bravely and love without fear.
    I want always to feel the wings of grace near.

We all will be Christed when we hear ourselves say...
    We are that to which we pray...
    Jewel

Maybe they'll figure out the secret and it will allow humans to do it to! ;p

We can wish, right?
    -- Faye

I don't wanna be a frog or a fish. Anyway, where do they stick their bubblegum overnight? Answers on a postcard please.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Food for thought?

Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I don't wanna be a frog or a fish. Anyway, where do they stick their bubblegum overnight? Answers on a postcard please.
    On the bedpost, or do you swallow it instead?
    [size=3] >^..^<[/size]

Chandra Marie

chandra

the real question is where (if anywhere) do frogs and fishes sleep at night?

and what about mermaids .... now there's a fantasy. we could all develop fishes' tails and become ambi-sexual. I would like a lycra fishtail bodystocking please.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Marda

Lightbulb * Now Yer Talkin *

Hey TGirls,
    ~
    I don't think fish need bubblegum ... they already know how to blow good bubbles with just plain water ... and I think frogs have sticky stuff on their tongues for zapping flies and stuff so there's no demand there ...
    ~
    As for the ambi-sexual, hopefully this is not just a remake of the old and rather dated AC/DC concept ...
    ~
    The kool prospect here is if we can get it through the legislation process, all driver's licence application forms and stuff will require a third checkbox in the sex field ...

1 = Male ... 2 = Female ...
    and for # 3 ... I propose
    3 = Yes Please
    ~
    Love / Marda

Marda

Lightbulb * Oh Yeah ... The Sleep Thing *

Sorry Crispy,
    ~
    I forgot to answer your *other* question ...
    Fishes and frogs and stuff sleep on the *SeaBed* ...
    On that happy note ... "I'm Off To Sea The Wizard" ...
    ~
    Nighty Nighty
    Sleep Tighty
    & Don't Let
    The Bugs Bitey
    ~
    Love / Marda

In the brave new world categories one and the two are not politically correct. Just 'check here for sex'. If you check the box you get a year's supply through the mail. Plus free bubblegum (unless you are an aquatic species).

Hey give me some of that tongue-sticky stuff. What else can you zap with it? Sounds like fun.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]