Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any reactions when buying a wig?

Quote Originally Posted by whowhatwhen View Post
    As in outside? In male mode?!
    Um, yeah. Dressed androgenous, put on concealer when I got to the wig store.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I go either in my femme mode or as a guy - nobody says much or if they do ask, I tell.

I bought my last wig when I was in guy mode. The staff in the shop were very helpful.

Renne>>>

Guess what I bought my make up and wig this weekend.....I was in male mode and the SA was very helpful.... I had to do this so I did.... after wearing it and brushing i just could not bring myself to taking it off! But it really shows now how much I need to learn the art of makeup

This forum is inspiring me soooo much...and its nice to share with you!

Wendy

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    I bought a really nice one from a wig specialty shop.

I had passed it a couple of times running errands, and one afternoon I had to go in. I was in drab but wanted a wig really bad. It happened to be a week before Halloween, which was lucky I suppose. The SA was an older Asian American woman, and she was confused when I brought my purchase to the register. "It's for girl." she said to me as she scanned it with a shrug.

"It's for Halloween costume." I replied a bit red faced. It was angry red faced as opposed to embarrassed red faced. I couldn't believe a wig shop salesperson would be so ignorant, I was putting cash in her register, and she went out of her way to make me feel unwelcome. Never been back to that place, never will return. Luckily that isn't the only specialty store near me!

Bought my first wig at a wig store (pretending confidence but in terror).Asian lady was cool with all that.Next time I bought at a beauty supply store and should have continued that practice.I've had both good and bad luck choosing via catalog from The Wig Company.Problems caused by not choosing correctly.They sell different lines and prices.Last purchase was back at beauty supply store and though it was inexpensive,it framed my face well.My dental hygienist said she liked it better than what I had worn on my previous visit.I guess the key is to learn what styles work best for your(gurl)self.Until I'm more adept at choosing,I'm going to go back to using professional advice.
    Imagine how hard it must be for GGs to change styles,lengths,colors,highlights,etc.And we think
    its hard for us!

As I just stated in a previous post, I called a Wig Shop in Myrtle Beach SC, asked the clerk if she had experience with guys, she said that she had several guy repeat customers. I asked her if she was ok with me coming in as a woman, she said not at all. So, she was kind enough to see me after reg business hours, so she closed at 5pm and I came in at 5:30. What a wonderful experience. I was able to try on several wigs, and pick out the one that I felt, as she did as well, the wig that fit my facial structure the best. I cannot begin to express how wonderful the whole experience was....I will definitely return dressed as Jane again to her. No more internet wigs for me after this incredible experience, not that that was bad, it's just so nice to have one fitted and trimmed by a pro.

I buy most of my wigs on line but once i bought one of crages list called the lady she had a good selaction and made me feel good bough a nice one from her

When in doubt, call first and simply ask "do you cater to transgenders"? My experience is that the answer is invariably an instantaneous "yes", which indicates both they understood the question and that we're a material portion of their business. I find I can't make a good decision on wigs looking at myself in guy mode, so a reasonable followup question is "OK if I come in dressed to try on wigs?".

Most, if not all wig shops have privacy booths as a big chunk of their customers are chemo patients. I've also found the SA's want you to be happy, want you to look good and are free with advice and compliments. Maybe it's just being professional, maybe it's the extra challenge :-) Either way, my visits to wig shops have always been satisfying experiences...Hugs, Michelle

I do most of my shopping at a place called Hair Secret at the Oakland Mall. The ladies there are very professional and helpful. I usually go enfemme and they are great at remembering my name. They even asked me to reccommend them to my friends and acquaintances. I think they realize that we as a group are good business!

One of the Chicago area wig stores that advertised in the newspapers a lot always included that TVs were welcome in the ad.

Local wig shop I go to had no problem from the beginning. I told her straight I am a crossdresser and she spent good amount of time selecting wigs for me. For those who live in Puget Sound area, wig shop is located in Lynnwood nearby Alderwood mall.
    Daliah Hermes

One time I walked into a wig shop just to look around and check out the prices when a lady told me that I have a beautiful hair already and that I don't need a wig.lol little does she know.

About a month ago bought a new wig as I ruined my favorite "Sarah Palin" one by standing too close to a patio heater, which permanently frizzed my wig. Went en-femme and got wonderful service. Smallish specialty store. Great help in selecting a style that went with my head shape and Carla (The SA) re-styled it a bit and trimmed some too-long bangs off to make it look good. No funny looks nor questions.

-Tasha