Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you wear makeup?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why do you wear makeup?

In the war against masculinity, makeup is an essential tool within a crossdresser’s arsenal. Makeup comes in many forms, serves varying purposes, and is amazingly versatile. With makeup in hand, a worthy crossdresser is possessed of the ability of disguise, and becomes a master of illusion.

But just what exactly is the goal of makeup for a crossdresser? Is the goal to assist with achieving the appearance of a woman, or is it simply an aid to escape the appearance of a man?

As for me, I am a makeup junkie. I love, love, love makeup. Just the mere act of applying makeup, in fact, and methodically removing and erasing the outward appearance of my masculinity is quite pleasurable and rewarding in and of itself. I seek to escape the outer male, and proactively alter my appearance to that of a woman.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of outer femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing.

After all, failing affirmative attempts at deception, the mirror speaks no lies. Without the benefit of makeup, all I see within its cursed dimensions is the physical man that I am. Makeup, however, completely changes the field of battle . . . .

So why do you wear makeup? Do you do so to take on the visage of a woman? Or do you do so to escape your own reflection in the mirror? Perhaps it is a combination of the two, or is it for a reason altogether different?

Oh you and these questions Anne!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    But just what exactly is the goal of makeup for a crossdresser? Is the goal to assist with achieving the appearance of a woman, or is it simply an aid to escape the appearance of a man?
    During the oh-so-brief time that I get to be the woman I want to be, makeup is what helps me not only look, but also "feel" authentic. I can think of nothing in the male world that would equate to sitting down in front of a mirror and making yourself look pretty! Not only the transformation, but the process are therapeutic.

As for me, I am a makeup junkie. I love, love, love makeup. Just the mere act of applying makeup, in fact, and methodically removing and erasing the outward appearance of my masculinity is quite pleasurable and rewarding in and of itself. I seek to escape the outer male, and proactively alter my appearance to that of a woman.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing. . .
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!!!

Debby

I'm contractually obligated to wear it. L'oreal... and I'm worth it!
    ​Cindy

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I am new and developing, and just recently did my first makeup with posted pictures. I do not hate the man I am, once upon a time i am told I was a decent looker. Hair and a 32 inch waist helped immensely.

But I now know that I can revel in the femininity that is within me. It started with clothes, but all I can look at is the clothes. When I take a picture or look in the mirror, the clothes are lessened by the man looking back in them. I still enjoy them, but I can look at clothes on a rack.

I hope my makeup will let me look at the whole picture and revel in the femininity that is presented in the picture. At 65 I am no hottie - bless you divas here, enjoy your youth and beauty, i certainly do - and it doesnt matter. The makeup is just to let me enjoy the moment and the dressing experience fully. I may never go outside my home, I may never have any social interaction with you wonderful people, and that will be my loss. I am not even thinking of that right now. I am just in the moment of cross dressing's experience and feel that makeup, however imperfect I may do it, will give ma a fuller enjoyment of the cross dressing I know I must do.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about make up, I don't even know how to grab an eyeliner pencil or brush..the basic thing that I believe as a necessity is cover the beard shadow

Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about make up, I don't even know how to grab an eyeliner pencil or brush..the basic thing that I believe as a necessity is cover the beard shadow
    You're naturally pretty, Barbara
    ​Cindy

I agree with Debby 100%; nothing in manhood compares to the joy of making yourself look and, therefore, feel pretty!!!

Christine has a little bit of a different take. It is her view that makeup is an art form, and, alone among art forms, you get to be the canvas (sorry, she is old fashioned and does not view tattoes and piercing as other than disfigurement). I came from a family of talented artists, and had always thought I had gotten the short end of the stick. That was not so, I just did not know what form in which I might have some minimal talent. Turning dross into passable, and sometimes better, drives her forward. As one commenter put it, alchemy had been discredited by many for trying to turn stone into gold, but what else is the cosmetics industry about? It gives us hope that we can be beautiful, and perhaps look a little younger.
    Best, Christine

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'm not sure that I wear makeup for any different of a reason that GGs wear makeup! Makeup creates an illusion by hiding imperfections, creating the illusion of shapes that your face doesn't have, and by using coloration to change the focus of the observer!

Also, for me, since GGs wear makeup, Tina wants to know about it! There is nothing about femininity that Tina does not want to know about if she is capable!

I sort of played with using make up when I was a teen; but not having much to practice with, I never got very good at it. Add to that the facial deformity, and I was never going to be able to be the 'pretty girl' that I wanted to be. I fixed the face with surgery (to some extent, there's still a scar), but by that point, my facial features were decidedly masculine, I'd never be able to be pretty as an adult either. At this point, the extent of my make up is pretty much lipstick once in a while. The stimulus for using it is seeing any girl with pretty pink lipstick; IRL, movie/tv, or magazine, doesn't take much to do it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Makeup is the mask I need to HELP me pass
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

In the war against masculinity, makeup is an essential tool within a crossdresser’s arsenal. Makeup comes in many forms, serves varying purposes, and is amazingly versatile. With makeup in hand, a worthy crossdresser is possessed of the ability of disguise, and becomes a master of illusion.
    What a wierd parargraph! I wear makeup because I am tactile. It's got nothing to do with any battle of the sexes.

Or is it just a fun thing to do?

Not all of us feel the way you do. The tone of your post suggests that you assume (incorrectly) that all crossdressers are anti-masculine. Not true.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of outer femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing.
    This is your opinion, and I respect your opinion.

After all, failing affirmative attempts at deception, the mirror speaks no lies. Without the benefit of makeup, all I see within its cursed dimensions is the physical man that I am. Makeup, however, completely changes the field of battle . . . .
    Of course mirrors tell lies. What I would really like to know is why you have such a low level of self-esteem as a man? My belief is that, simply because you are a human being, you are worthy of others' respect. Why would you feel otherwise?

So why do you wear makeup? Do you do so to take on the visage of a woman? Or do you do so to escape your own reflection in the mirror? Perhaps it is a combination of the two, or is it for a reason altogether different?
    My reason is clearly very different from yours. I wear makeup because I can. Why should women have all the fun?

For me the word illusion is the one that entices. Just as a lie is another aspect of truth because a lie is used to hide a truth and so points to a deeper truth which is far more revealing than the original deception, creating illusions that others respond to as reality helps to discover the truths that we would not learn otherwise.

How makeup is used can communicate intent, status,breeding,ect... just as a short or long hemline on a skirt or a low cut blouse showing cleavage compared to a closed Victorian collar. The beauty of beauty is that so much of it is subliminal and in the hands of an artisan can create magic. You become a Maestro and the world of people your canvas as this canvas made up of people responds to you, the world is a stage. It is endlessly fascinating to test people based on how we present ourselves. I have no interest in attracting someone but I definitely enjoy watching them watch me even if their response is negative because I still learn something about them. It is what people hide about themselves or show unknowingly that I find most intriguing.

i do it for the 2 reasons that you mention...it helps me to feel more femme, also to hide from my reflection. but i'm still not happy with my reflection, so lately i just cover the mirror with make-up...seems to help a little. lol
    paula

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    Not all of us feel the way you do. The tone of your post suggests that you assume (incorrectly) that all crossdressers are anti-masculine. Not true.
    I don't think that is what Anne was suggesting. Just the internal struggle between our own levels of masculinity and femininity.
    Last edited by Debglam; 01-27-2012 at 07:38 PM.

I think I look better with makeup than without. It makes me feel good about myself (and hides my beard)

The war against masculinity?I must be a double agent then,and the mirror still shows a man but with the veil of femmininty,it is the inner person that I hope comes thru via action and deeds ,but I do find the challenge even after all these years of applying my "face"somewhat enjoyable even for the perfectionist that I am.Please keep your thought provoking threads coming they are quite enjoyable Anne.

Bye-Bye,Lisa.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I ****ing hate make-up. All that effort to learn something to cover your face which in the long run your skin so isn't going to thank you for.
    The ultimate woman is a man - House

Banned Read only
    I wear makeup to NOT look like a man when I am trying to present as a woman. Ideally I want to pass as a woman but at a minimum, I want to blend in. To do that, I need makeup.

Cerebral Ninja
    lol, I think I'm obsessed. Even in guy mode I tend to wear eyeliner (or as the kids say, "guy-liner") and light foundation a lot. I just really dig what it does for me.
    "Just follow your heart, that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite

@CourtneyGlenn91 - Twitter

Facebook

I don't, yet. The last time I wore lipstick ( at least five years ago ) I found myself in tears for some reason, I think it brought on a sudden realisation of the gulf between feminine and masculine norms, the colouring and greasing of the lips as a sign of sexual availability .. it was just too much for me then! I feel differently now and I'm planning to make myself up, but I won't rush into it. There's such a huge range of colours and textures to play with, and I'd hate to make a mess of it .. it's quite scary to me to put pencils across my eyelids for one thing, and as for lines of glue to hold false lashes .. .. I guess that I want to see the feminine me in the mirror, not a drag queen or pantomime dame, so great care and patience required!

I feel no dislike or discomfort with my 'bloke' self, though! I guess I'm lucky xxx
    It's complicated, then again it's simple ... where did I put that skirt?

Silver Member
    I wear beauty makeup because I like the way it looks, because it is pretty, because it is sexy.

I once wore heavy corrective makeup to help me pass and cover my formerly heavy beard, and that I didn't enjoy.

I wear it to escape the male, I do it to immerse myself in the female, and I do it because I love the feeling, smell and even idea of wearing it...

Anna

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    As you are aware, I also love all the aspects that makeup has to offer. Just going to the MAC store affirms the woman within me. It's the whole process of applying my makeup to go out completes the transformation and sets my mind to become Rachael.

Silver Member
    I like the way it makes me look but also love the feel and the smell of it on my face, eyes and lips---the whole effect is sensual
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]