Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you wear makeup?

I wear eyeshadow, blush, and lip stuff to complete the picture when I go out . Dolling up is fun!
    However when I finish off my beard laser removal in a couple of months (btw....I'm halfway there) , I'll be able to get rid of all the concealer & foundation and go au natural.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Dressing up w/o makeup? Lord have mercy.......

There's just something about a luscious lipstick with some striking eye makeup....

"Why do you wear makeup?"

For the same reason i used to wear a beard; to hide the ugly. Me pop has always said i'm pppurdy; purdy damn ugly and purdy damn likely to stay that way.

With makeup i can hide some of that ugly. Not much any more but a wee bit anyway.

SarahLynn
    Great leaders are not great because of their words or deeds but because of the greatness they inspire from others."
    (Legends of the StarDancer)

For me it's important because when I see myself in a mirror in full makeup it helps reinforce my identity (as much sense as that makes.)

For me the word illusion is the one that entices. Just as a lie is another aspect of truth because a lie is used to hide a truth and so points to a deeper truth which is far more revealing than the original deception, creating illusions that others respond to as reality helps to discover the truths that we would not learn otherwise.

How makeup is used can communicate intent, status,breeding,ect... just as a short or long hemline on a skirt or a low cut blouse showing cleavage compared to a closed Victorian collar. The beauty of beauty is that so much of it is subliminal and in the hands of an artisan can create magic. You become a Maestro and the world of people your canvas as this canvas made up of people responds to you, the world is a stage. It is endlessly fascinating to test people based on how we present ourselves. I have no interest in attracting someone but I definitely enjoy watching them watch me even if their response is negative because I still learn something about them. It is what people hide about themselves or show unknowingly that I find most intriguing.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I am new and developing, and just recently did my first makeup with posted pictures. I do not hate the man I am, once upon a time i am told I was a decent looker. Hair and a 32 inch waist helped immensely.

But I now know that I can revel in the femininity that is within me. It started with clothes, but all I can look at is the clothes. When I take a picture or look in the mirror, the clothes are lessened by the man looking back in them. I still enjoy them, but I can look at clothes on a rack.

I hope my makeup will let me look at the whole picture and revel in the femininity that is presented in the picture. At 65 I am no hottie - bless you divas here, enjoy your youth and beauty, i certainly do - and it doesnt matter. The makeup is just to let me enjoy the moment and the dressing experience fully. I may never go outside my home, I may never have any social interaction with you wonderful people, and that will be my loss. I am not even thinking of that right now. I am just in the moment of cross dressing's experience and feel that makeup, however imperfect I may do it, will give ma a fuller enjoyment of the cross dressing I know I must do.

Babes
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Christine has a little bit of a different take. It is her view that makeup is an art form, and, alone among art forms, you get to be the canvas (sorry, she is old fashioned and does not view tattoes and piercing as other than disfigurement). I came from a family of talented artists, and had always thought I had gotten the short end of the stick. That was not so, I just did not know what form in which I might have some minimal talent. Turning dross into passable, and sometimes better, drives her forward. As one commenter put it, alchemy had been discredited by many for trying to turn stone into gold, but what else is the cosmetics industry about? It gives us hope that we can be beautiful, and perhaps look a little younger.
    Best, Christine

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'm not sure that I wear makeup for any different of a reason that GGs wear makeup! Makeup creates an illusion by hiding imperfections, creating the illusion of shapes that your face doesn't have, and by using coloration to change the focus of the observer!

Also, for me, since GGs wear makeup, Tina wants to know about it! There is nothing about femininity that Tina does not want to know about if she is capable!

I sort of played with using make up when I was a teen; but not having much to practice with, I never got very good at it. Add to that the facial deformity, and I was never going to be able to be the 'pretty girl' that I wanted to be. I fixed the face with surgery (to some extent, there's still a scar), but by that point, my facial features were decidedly masculine, I'd never be able to be pretty as an adult either. At this point, the extent of my make up is pretty much lipstick once in a while. The stimulus for using it is seeing any girl with pretty pink lipstick; IRL, movie/tv, or magazine, doesn't take much to do it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I wear make up because it completes the femme image. I have very long lashes, so not wearing mascara would be missing out showing them off. I feel better about myself with make up while dressed enfemme.

I love mascara especially as it adds a lovely smokey look to my face. I feel more like a gypsy woman

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    very eloquent statements Anne.

i love makeup too, especially lipstick since it is so sensuous how it feels on the lips and its taste is fabulous. I recognize it as an art form and want to improve my skill while hoping to make myself appear more feminine. there's the fun for me

Put simply. the idea of makeup is to look nice. The real skill using it is to make it look like you are wearing little or none.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Cerebral Ninja
    lol, I think I'm obsessed. Even in guy mode I tend to wear eyeliner (or as the kids say, "guy-liner") and light foundation a lot. I just really dig what it does for me.
    "Just follow your heart, that's what I do" - Napoleon Dynamite

@CourtneyGlenn91 - Twitter

Facebook

I wear it to look pretty, and no woman, wants to look like a man

All of this is, of course, how my eyes see things and how my brain interprets what I see, for whatever reason:
    My eyes have always been attracted to pretty, glamorous women, and makeup accentuates the beauty. And the more glamorous makeup, the better I liked it. It come as no surprise to me that as a crossdresser I love makeup - bold and lots of it. Most everything about my crossdressing style reflects this "more is better" approach. Whatever it is that visually differentiates women from men, I like those differences accentuated and exaggerated. Long thick eyelashes, high heels, painted nails, short skirts, jewelry, perfume, and makeup. Overdone, over the top. It's not just the finished look; I love the process of transforming from a plain guy into a heavily painted glamorous woman. All fun and games for me - nothing real about it except the excitement it brings.

Simply put, makeup is fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2345 View Post
    After all, failing affirmative attempts at deception, the mirror speaks no lies. Without the benefit of makeup, all I see within its cursed dimensions is the physical man that I am. Makeup, however, completely changes the field of battle . . . .
    But you'd be surprised how this perception can change if you have your own long hair.

Before growing mine out, dress me up and put a wig on me without any makeup and I see nothing but guy in the mirror. Now with long hair, no matter what I might be wearing...and even if my face is a bit stubbly because of an upcoming electrolysis appointment, I am able to see a female in my reflection despite not wearing any makeup. It is a truly magical feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    What a wierd parargraph! I wear makeup because I am tactile. It's got nothing to do with any battle of the sexes....Of course mirrors tell lies. What I would really like to know is why you have such a low level of self-esteem as a man? My belief is that, simply because you are a human being, you are worthy of others' respect. Why would you feel otherwise?
    There is nothing weird about it. Some of us approach this from a different angle and if makeup helps to serve to repress the male or masculine image, all the better reason to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    I wear eyeshadow, blush, and lip stuff to complete the picture when I go out . Dolling up is fun!
    However when I finish off my beard laser removal in a couple of months (btw....I'm halfway there) , I'll be able to get rid of all the concealer & foundation and go au natural.
    You are likely closer to being done with the face-fur removal than I but when I go out & about, I tweeze what remains. I can say that although I've been out a few times without makeup for short periods of time after a facial, I prefer using at least a light powder foundation that evens out my skin tone. Still, this is another magical feeling, to be able to go without a heavy foundation or concealer regimen.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

a beautiful metalhead JessicaM1985's Avatar
    Honestly, I prefer makeup over even wearing girl clothes. It's the one thing to me that is decidedly feminine. Plenty of girls can wear men's clothing and still be beautiful. Outside of naturally occuring femme features, I feel that tastefully done makeup and a wig can really take you from guy to girl mode in a hurry from a visual standpoint.

Which reminds me, I wanna go shower and then get dolled up a bit later...
    "To deny our impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human...." - Mouse from The Matrix
    Love me or hate me, I will always be myself.

I'm just the kind of gal that likes death metal, beer, and "dad" jokes. Oh and I build computers and play PC games.

That was eloquent and articulate Anne. Put me down for a combination of the two. Because the makeup allows the girl in me to shine through, and puts the man away for a while. It lets me be pretty while I'm wearing it, and brings the whole essence of the crossdressing experience to its fruition. It lets me look in a mirror and smile back at the shining image that is looking back at me, the woman in my reflection. Like you, I just love it!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Have you seen me without it!!!

Covers up the imperfections, adds color and a more femenine look. To me, if you're gonna dress and blend you need to look the part. Besides it's fun.

I like the way it feals and makes me look

Because it's fun!

I love the artistic aspect, the scents and sensations. It helps me feel pretty!

cover the ugly

I agree with what ann said But also IM (UGLY) So if I want to half way look like anything but a WILDMAN I better get to ULTA quik So I can be pretty !!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I wear make up to try to look as feminine as possible! I do not enjoy applying it and occasionally pay to have someone do it, I struggle with eye liner and eye shadow I lack patience and a steady hand! but when I have make up on I feel that I look good and feminine which is what I love about dressing up! plus the right make up and wig can turn the clock back a bit for a bonus.