Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does wearing a kilt count?

Does wearing a kilt count?

Since Wednesday was the anniversary of Rabbie Burns, half the Scottish nation will have attended a Burns night party this week and eaten Haggis. I, a mere sassenach, have also been doing that for almost 25 years, and have borrowed a kilt, and all the other clothes that go with it, from a friend, to celebrate too. I even learned how to "address" the haggis properly, and this year, will have done it three times after tomorrow night.

Now, my wife is so anti-CD you would not believe it, but she rather likes the look of me in a kilt (go figure!), but I guess it's supposed to look masculine. However, I do get some of the enjoyable feelings wearing a kilt, as I do when wearing a skirt; and not just the shock of cold leather on the back of my thighs when geting into my car! Obviously I've been out many times in that kilt, but does it count as being out in public "dressed"? Well, I thought you wouldn't agree, so there's a milestone I still have to pass. I do feel a bit girlie though, with that material swirling around my bare legs when I walk about. Do you think I could wear a waist slip and natural coloured tights next time and claim that I was only keeping my legs warm?

Tony

Perhaps because I am from scotland, but there is very little feminine about a kilt for me.

Though I do enjoy wearing mine
    Susan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]If you love freedom set it free. If it comes back, its yours, if not, its 1936 Stalinist Russia! - The Daily Show[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragster View Post

Now, my wife is so anti-CD you would not believe it, but she rather likes the look of me in a kilt (go figure!),

Tony
    A Kilt is menswear.
    if you want to wear a skirt, wear a skirt.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Being part Scottish I would have to agree with Miranda-E. A Kilt is definitely menswear. It is not a skirt!! And BTW Dragster, a real Kilt is never leather!! They are made from many yards of wool.
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Actually, the Scottish Kilt is the ultimate men's wear. The Scotch Dragoons wore kilts to several wars, and were so feared that when people heard the pipes, they often ran in terror when they heard the pipes and saw the kilts. The British Commanders would thin the German lines during WW-I by having the dragoons play the pipes. The only thing the Kaiser's men feared more than the pipes - was the sound of Negro Spirituals.

Both groups were notorious for maiming their opponents, then maiming rather than killing anyone who came to help those they had maimed. By the same token, the men in the kilts were known to fight to the death, even when maimed - until somebody killed them - because they would kill until killed rather than be taken prisoner and raped - because they wore skirts.

Other groups that are known for their cute skirts and terrifying fighting methods are the Dervishes (whirling dervishes have an initiation that involves being cut hundreds of times - without crying). And masters of Aiki-Jitsu - Aikido is the arts form, in which a guy in a cute skirt humiliates any number of attackers by "helping them to the ground". In the combat - Jitsu form - each attacker has his elbows, shoulders, and knees dislocated on the way to the ground. Once an Aiki-jitsu master is done with you - ANY movement causes excruciating pain - yet you could live for days or weeks.

Needless to say, the skirts associated with these warrior types his hardly a cross-dressing experience. In most cases, if you touch their skirts, you will WISH you were dead.

Compare this to the cross-dressing/transgender experience - which is about peace, calm, being relaxed, giving and receiving pleasure, and embracing femininity, especially the most positive aspects.

Definitely NOT the same experience.

I own several kilts. Oddly, I feel more conspicuous in public in a kilt than I do all dressed up en femme.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Only ever wore the Kilt twice,at both my weddings,only feelings I got were a draft lol,and Immense Pride.And be prepared to fend off women wanting to see what's under it A kilt maybe a skirt,but there is nothing girly at all about it,must say I've never felt more manly than I have done when wearing full Highland Dress.A kilt is not a light,floaty fabric It is a heavy garment and you certainly wouldn't feel anything feminine wearing one,If you wanna wear Tartan and feel Feminine I recommend a minikilt oh! and i hate Haggis

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I like to think it depends on what you wear under your kilt... Kilt hose? Some believe it's manly to not wear anything under the kilt. They wouldn't think I was manly if they knew what I wear under mine!

Only if you want to emulate a Scottsman.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I think that kilts look cool. It's the makeup, hose and heels that really make it look hot.
    Dana Ryan

I have to agree with most other Scot's here that Kilts = Manly and should in no way ever be referred to as a "Skirt" especially while in the presence of someone wearing one.

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    And BTW Dragster, a real Kilt is never leather!! They are made from many yards of wool.
    I believe Dragster was referring to the car seats being leather, not the kilt
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Please review the official crossdresser's handbook, latest edition. Section 708, paragraph B clearly states that " a kilt does not count as a skirt".
    Sorry, but rules are rules.

Aspiring Member
    As a Scot, I feel qualified to comment on this. A kilt is a type of skirt - in the same way as many male Asian garments are skirts, even when they have another name. However a male kilt is a VERY masculine garment, from the point of view of the wearer and from a female point of view - even in Scotland you get lots of female attention in a kilt. Just as some women look better in skirts than trousers, some men do not look good in a kilt - if you have spindly legs the kilt does nothing for your image. Of course these are not rules - they are only guides for those who care what others think. I think the reason women perceive a kilt as masculine is the same as they perceive the sort of skirt you would buy in a woman's clothes shop as feminine is just association - and associations can be changed.

I have been out hundreds of times as Susan without problems. But in a kilt in Northern England between a wedding and my hotel, some youths shouted stuff - can't recall what but it wasn't offensive, just mindless.

I haven't worn my kilt for a few years because my legs are kept hairless. I know people are unlikely to notice, but I would feel uncomfortable - the women I know make it very clear that they like looking at men's legs.

By the way - wearing a kilt without underwear is just skanky. It might be traditional, but so is slavery. In the 21st century wearing a £500 garment without underwear is G-R-O-S-S.

I wear a kilt all the time when I can get away with it. For some stupid reasons, companies don't consider it "work appropriate". I live in one of the mose backwater states in the US (Indiana) and even if I am in one of my wool plaids or if I'm in a dress pants material "mocker" from utilikilts, the vast majority of these people assume I am crossdressing. It has started to get a little better lately since I have started a fashion trend and now more and more kilts are being worn, but I can see your point. You can dress en femme in a kilt, but it is all in how you accessorize. I bought a "mini kilt" which is cut like a mini skirt and flares very nicely. ^_^ Of course living where I do, it is waaaaay safer on the streets for me to wear a kilt with a pair of panties on underneath vs. fully dressing. I consider it "survival dressing" Not nearly as good as the real thing, but anough to satiate the desire somewhat. Either way, kilts rock and enjoy Burns Night. Wish we had good Burns parties here but alas, tis Indiana.

I'm not from Scotland but I don't consider wearing a kilt crossdressing, unless you decide to make the rest of your outfit feminine and try to use the kilt as a girl's skirt.
    But if it's part of a traditional Scottish men's outfit then you're technically wearing only men's clothes, so there's no gender boundary crossing.
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    They don't work for me but whatever floats your boat I always say. I tease my wife about it every time we see someone wearing a kilt, I say see it's OK for him to wear a skirt why can't I. She always throws it back at me and says "you can, just don't expect to have a family afterwards". She is one tough woman!!!
    I want to be this girl!

I bought a women's kilt in the pound shop in Fort William yesterday, it was a lighter woolen material and only cost 14 pounds in Scottish pounds.
    There was a 5 foot men's kilt of heavier material for 16 pounds. I was surprised at the price as they are in the 100sof dollars mark.
    The women's kilt looks great with stockings and has nice lines. Drops down over the hips nicely. Karen Hutton eat your heart out.
    Looking at men in kilts, yes they need strong hairy legs, socks and shoes. They always look smart.
    I still like looking at women though. I have little desire to wear a mans kilt. I have tried one trying to dance and they are HEAVY.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley128 View Post
    There was a 5 foot men's kilt of heavier material for 16 pounds. I was surprised at the price as they are in the 100sof dollars mark.
    I'd be really dubious since 10-13 ounce dyed thread wool flannel is $50 to $75 a yard.

Banned Read only
    Ah, but line that scratchy wool kilt with soft pink nylon and wear matching pink panties????

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya C View Post
    Please review the official crossdresser's handbook, latest edition. Section 708, paragraph B clearly states that " a kilt does not count as a skirt".
    Sorry, but rules are rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    Being part Scottish I would have to agree with Miranda-E. A Kilt is definitely menswear. It is not a skirt!! And BTW Dragster, a real Kilt is never leather!! They are made from many yards of wool.
    Agree 100%. Back in the day, a kilt was also referred to as a "Plaidie", and it was composed of several wraps of wool around the body and over the shoulder. The reason for that was that the garment also served the function of being a sleeping bag. Wool is one of the few substances in the world which does not lose it's power to retain the wearer's body heat when wet. Those of us who do backpacking and all-weather hiking have all learned the mantra, "cotton kills." If the material was heavy enough, the wraps would also serve as proof against sword slashes or even the low velocity black powder bullets of the 1500's and 1600's.

There are some women bagpipers who will not wear a kilt because it is a man's item of clothing. They will wear a matcing tartan skirt usually, which has a longer length. I figured that they just don't have the confidence in their legs that a man does! ;^)

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Hi Tony,

Marla and I also celebrated Burn's Night. We had a special vegetarian haggis (homemade by Marla) and we drank Scotch Whiskey, and played Scotland the brave via YouTube ... regarding your kilt, well ... you gotta do what you gotta do in your situation and if it helps you "get into the zone" then I say go for it. ....but I do agree with others that unless your kilt is short and lightweight with no sporran, then it will be perceived my most people as somewhat masculine ... that said, if you added very frilly panties and a slip underneath, I think that would at least help and maybe even "do the business" for a CDer in need.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I don't think a kilt counts because people do perceive it as a male garment. It's interesting that you posted this thread because you criticized my own style on the photo album as being "half and half" even though all I'm really doing is wearing other skirts or dresses as a man. I wear kilts pretty frequently amongst my other skirts though and I will say the reaction to a kilt is almost always positive, often with extreme enthusiasm. I get honked at and waved at all the time in a kilt, I hear "Nice kilt!" at least once in a typical kilted outing, and even recently had a Scot high five me out of the driver's side window of his truck in the parking lot of a grocery store.

It is interesting to me that the kilt can garner so much positive attention, and yet the situation totally changes if I wear the exact same outfit but substitute in something like a denim skirt or tights. While I still get the occasional compliments and rarely get negative comments to my face, I definitely notice people trying *not* to notice, at least when they still think they're in my eyeline, and know I get giggled at behind my back sometimes. It's fascinating to me how something as simple as the cut or fabric of the skirt changes everything in regards to how people will react based on their cultural programming. Even here on this board, your reaction (and others') to how I dress is often amazement or incredulity, even when men wearing women's clothes is the norm.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

for me, kilt is man wear. i never wear a kilt. a skirt, yes and always...

Definitely menswear in my book. I've had my eye on a Utilikilt for a while, but just don't feel like PAYING for one. Especially since the weather here would really only make wearing it comfortable for a couple months out of the year.