Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you ever tell employers that you cross dress?

Silver Member
    Even if one works in an at-will state or locality that also has trans employment protections, it is still one's burden to prove it. Unless the employer is a total moron and admits that is why they fired you, it is almost impossible to prove.

Aspiring Member
    As much as I would like to extend my CDing to another venue such as work, I do not have the guts to be the ground-breaker. Now if someone else was to be the first, maybe after a while I would feel comfortable enough to do it myself.

I would love to.. I do however work directly with the public so I am reasonably certain that would be frowned upon epsecially since I live in the south. I like to keep things somewhat private anyhow. The older I get though the less I care about what others think.. so maybe someday..
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Aspiring Member
    I have a job that is about as secure as it gets. But I am not transgender. I love wearing skirts and dresses and ACTING as a woman, and getting feedback on my outfits from women. But my job involves a lot of status based on honesty, and acting is not really something that would fit in with this. It simply would not work. There would be acceptance of me as I want to dress on a social level, but professionally it would be very difficult to do my job, even though it would be theoretically the same, and my job is very important to me. One person has changed gender with no problems, but that is not for me. I have so much already I do not need to go this extra distance. I can wear whatever I want all the rest of the time, and that is enough.

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar
    Lol. This is a very interesting question. I am a doctor and I work with people evryday. I believe patients tend to respect doctors a bit more than they would respect other people and it is not a good idea to show to work dressed en femme. In terms of employers, I think they would be more receptive and accepting of it if I were to apply for a job in the psychiatric dept vs the orthopaedic dept. The orthopods are all 100% man ya know.. lol

He already knows, I am the employer.

I will one day soon when I start my transition

i would not.
    the only time such would need to be said is if you just started to do the correcting thing. but then he/she would be hiring me as such any how.

there is work and it is only a very small part of my "life"....sure it takes up most of it. but none of there "need to know stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    So the moral of the story is, if you're indispensable you can do what you want? I buy that.
    Yes, that about sums it up. I'm not, so I can't.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Generally, it's not good for a company to have employees they consider indispensable. They don't become indispensable, they make themselves so, often for devious reasons. If you have employees you consider indispensable, fire them. Not really, but remove that condition, even if you have to fire them. Some companies have policies requiring employees to take their vacation time in week-long (or two) increments, rather than a day at a time, for the very reason of making sure that no one is indispensable, and also to see if any fraudulent activities will come to light in their absence.

Banned Read only
    Although my state has protective laws against discrimination against cross dressers(and my city enhances that law), I would not ask any prospective employer whether I could be en femme. Nor would I consider working en femme, if I had not asked my prospective employer if I could work en femme. It is virtually impossible to prove on an individual basis whether you were denied employment because you asked that question. You'd have to have numerous CD-ers rejected for a job they were fully qualified for and the job is awarded to another. Unless the employer/interviewer is stupid and clearly states a discriminatory bias, it is difficult to prove anything.

That being said, I'd love to have had the opportunity to be a server in a gay/lesbian/transgender restaurant. I would love to wear a white blouse, black skirt, black hosier and black heels and a little white apron. In that environment I'd suspect if you told the prospective employer you are straight, you may not get hired.

There is only one reason your employer needs to know you dress, and that is if your dressing is because you are considering transition, or living as your female persona. If you have no intention of transitioning, or living as your female persona, there is no reason you should consider bringing crossdressing up to an employer, or potential employer. As a MtF crossdresser, who has no intentions of going "full-time" with this aspect of my life, this part of my life shall remain a secret as far as my employer is concerned.
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Funny they will hire people with tatoos on their faces, multiple piercings, with a green mohawk...but DON'T GET CAUGHT WEARING A PAIR OF PANTIES OMG THAT WOULD BE THE END!!!
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

I will wait until they tell me I HAVE TO wear a bra!...

"Would you ever tell employers that you cross dress?"

Uh, absolutely not. I want to continue my employment. I'd like to find employment again if I need to.

Why? I'm a contract worker. I work in a very conservative environment. I live in a very conservative state. My home is in an overwhelmingly conservative parish. I do not personally know of a single person that admits to being a Democrat or liberal or progressive. We have one statewide elected official that belongs to the Democratic party and she is really a Republican in political drag. Our politicians are well known nationally for pushing their Evangelical Christian agenda on us all. People still feel comfortable discriminating against, blacks, homosexuals, Hispanics and Atheists in the workplace. My circle of friends is small and tight.

That's life in small town Louisiana.

wiggle it, just a lil bit Julia Welch's Avatar
    No way ... Absolutely not ... My personal life is for my consumption only
    Fun loving skirt wearer

The real shame here is that once you are forthright in telling someone [that you consider important enough ..employer,etc] THEN their opinion of you changes instantly,yet you are still the same person that they considered "great",a second before...I work for myself in a phobic environment[the commercial waterfront]. I am not always indespensible,for every customer,so I try to keep my distance.Only a few people on the waterfront know Rogina.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

noooooo!!!!!!!!! i'm a mechanic ,i dont think that the other guys in my shop would understand .....lol plus i would take a chance of hurting my job, and thats how i support my family .IT SUCKS THAT I HAVE TO KEEP IT IN THE CLOSET

I'm coming into this thread late, so I apologize if some of this has been discussed, I sort of skimmed it. But my thoughts Klaire are that if all you want to do is add some feminine flaire to your day-to-day outfit, I think actually having a talk with your employers about it beforehand would be the wrong move. I think doing so would make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Instead what I would suggest is to just slowly start to integrate the things you want to wear into your wardrobe, pieces at a time. Why not buy a purse that is a bit more unisex looking, for example I usually carry a small cross-body canvas bag that doesn't scream "WOMEN'S PURSE" even though it is one, and I do this often in male mode even when I wear jeans. I'm sure you could find something similar and bigger to start bringing to work, and eventually bring nicer handbags in. Plenty of men carry nice bags these days, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big issue if you did. If anyone asks about it, just play it off as no big deal. Also, I have worn women's jeans to work countless times without anyone noticing or making any comments, same with women's flared dress trousers.

I've never officially "come out" to my HR or anyone at my job about my crossdressing, I've told anyone who has asked, because I have dressed as a girl for the past two halloweens and I do wear eye makeup on occasion, so I'm pretty open about it, but it's not something I ever had to have a sit down talk with anyone about and I think doing so would have made it seem like a bigger and worse issue than it really is.

Seriously though, I think if you just slowly integrate different pieces of your wardrobe in bit by bit people won't really notice it as something to make an issue out of, and I can speak from personal experience, it can be kind of a fun game deciding what to wear next.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I did & there's no problem actually. I'm lucky, I know. And grateful...

We have casual dress Fridays where I work (IT), although the dress code is fairly casual most of the time - some men always where suits, some a shirt and tie, others always casual. What the women wear varies similarly from dress trousers and blouse - to full skirt suit - to jeans and t-shirt.

Anyway, recently on Fridays I have been wearing women's boot-cut jeans with more feminine stitching (whatever that actually means) on the pockets. Last week I added a women's denim style shirt (worn open over a men's t-shirt) with studs on the shoulders and buttoned half-sleeves. Given current styles, I think it was fairly obvious that they were women's, however they could also have been seen as retro-men's with a late 70's look to them. I did get a couple of comments from work-friends about my new style - I think they think (and they wouldn't be too far off) that I'm going through some kind of mid-life crisis, and that I am in denial about getting older. My guess would be that it was probably obvious to the women, but that it wouldn't even cross the mind of most of the men. I think where I work people would be fairly relaxed about it (even if they did/do realise) at this level.

Skirts or dresses could well be a different matter, as I think it would just make people uncomfortable - work does have policies in place, but as others have said a gender-mix CD is rather different to a transitioning TS in terms of employment protection.

I'll see how it goes - I don't really want this to be my permanent Friday uniform. Plus if it is a regular thing, what would I change into to relax at home?

Susie

Klaire,
    what you describe is my daily attire...fem slacks (even side zip), nice top/blouse (but very understated fem) fem shoes 99% of the time simple loafers and full under dress but no obvious bra lines/etc. I present as a male and have only had positive comments about being a classy dresser. That said, I see no reason why you should say anything to anybody. As far as talking to HR, I transitioned on the job with the blessing of my HR dept (almost at their insistence but thats another story) but I know that I had it lucky with VERY understanding employers. On another job many years later I had a medical issue...I couldn't wear pants for almost 6 weeks...and my female employer even said she'd not wear a pair of pants for 6 weeks if I would come to work in a skirt (what was it Nichole said about "indispensable"?) and she a butch lesbian. So, I wore skirts to work for close to 4 weeks...and so did she.
    You'd be amazed at what you can do and people wont say a word...notice yes, but not say a word...

Jenn

Woulld I ever tell my employer? Not only NO, but hell NO! I don't like unemployment lines and job hunting. I have no reason to ever share this part of me with anyone other then those close to me.
    My opinion is simple: If you are not a transsexual that will be undergoing transformation, then you have no good reason to ever tell an employer. For us that are crossdressers, all I have to say is get a grip and control your urges to dress or expose yourself to an employer or co-workers. If you don't need tha job, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crysten View Post
    Funny they will hire people with tatoos on their faces, multiple piercings, with a green mohawk...but DON'T GET CAUGHT WEARING A PAIR OF PANTIES OMG THAT WOULD BE THE END!!!
    Why is this true? Can someone please attempt to provide some insight as to why?
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Crossdressing has greatly hurt my career. Every time I had a job and gossip spread that I crossdressed they automatically thought I was gay. Then I was laid off or didn't go permanent on a temp job, adn the worst was at Synchro Start where I had a great permanent job that just degraded into a nightmare when they found out I crossdress. They made fun of me at the company Xmas party and then scammed / set me up to fire me and they denied my unemployment benefits.

Now if I get another job and crossdressing gossip surfaces I will be out and just tell them I'm not gay, I just like to crossdress because I'm beautiful. I have wallet pic of me to show how beautiful I look and that will be my excuse.