Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jury Duty and Cross Dressing

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    I got summonsed...again last year. I was definitely going to go en femme. I was able to get a signed letter from my my company president to excuse me. .....worked.

When I went for JD the first time, the case was a lawsuit over an infant who died because of a drug that a doctor prescribed. The parents, I saw, were deeply anguished.
    In a case like this, I don't have a heart to be a show about me.
    ......Makes me more feminine to be this soft & nurturing, don't it?
    I'm with you on this one. When I had JD, it was for a man that had molested a four year old girl, and there was just no way I was going to go dressed. One of the very worst things that I have ever had to go through . . .

I dont recall who, but I have read about someone here that went to JD selection dressed and DID get chosen.

thats one way to get out of jury duty!

Last time I went I wore an NRA T-shirt and NRA Logo hat. ( I was not selected.)
    joank
    Southern California

Silver Member
    I have jury duty in april / may so it is something I have been thinking about. I already know there is no way I will show up presenting as male, just not sure how that will be taken here. I know the local magistrate judge, he knows I am transitioning and has always been respectful to me, but he is also rather firm and no bs from those called to jury duty. Guess I will find out.

Also planning to file for my name change at about that same time
    Last edited by arbon; 01-30-2012 at 11:25 AM.

that would be a great way to come out! i myself have tried it and just when i think i am feeling pretty good i start receiving weird stares from everyone. i also wished i had a wife who supported my dressing up!

Well, for someone who travels internationally dressed, if going through foreign immigration and customs where their laws are not governed by the US isn't enough to scare me, than I doubt a Judge behind a bench will.

Being brought out by such a miscarriage of injustice would be right up my alley anyway. It will save me the trouble of meeting everyone I know in person to tell them.

My biggest worry would be running into someone my wife and I know that is not aware of me. It would be all down hill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by dilane View Post
    Yes, I've done it in LA twice, and was selected both times.

The second time I was voted fore-woman!

Here's the link where I describe my last experience at length.
    I need to learn how to use the search tool better. I searched for Jury Duty and I got 5 responses and none of them were this one.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

Banned Read only
    In Washington State the law protects cross dressers from discrimination. I suppose nobody could object in state or local courts, but, the federal court may have a different opinion. I would not appear en femme, especially if not dressing for the selection process. I would think appearing en femme would be a distraction from the seriousness of the judicial process.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I received a jury duty summons and called in as I was asked to do. I never ended up having to report to the court. But had I been required to report I planned to do it en femme. I live in a state with non-discrimination laws and dressing en femme would be in accord with what I do most of the time. As others have indicated, I would have worn "business casual."

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    If you're willing to be identified as your male self in open court, my opinion (California law license since 1978) is that you have the right to show up en femme, but you will most likely be thanked and excused by one side or the other by way of a peremptory challenge (one not based on cause, such as knowing one of the parties or attorneys). If you do so, be prepared to offer justification for your appearance, which will entail more privacy risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice Winona View Post
    The other issue will obviously be the restrooms- use the men's, using the women's could get you arrested.
    Not quite. California has a comprehensive non-discrimination statute, modeled on the federal Civil Rights Act, that includes gender identity, gender expression, and perceived gender along with the usual categories, such as race, religion, and so forth. Among the protections is access to public accommodations, of which public restrooms are an example. Bottom line: whether you're perceived as a "normal" woman, a semi-attractive woman, or a man in a dress doesn't really matter under this law, and CD/TG folk in California should be aware of it. It reflects our legislature's awareness of TG issues, such as a person just starting to transition who is easily read, as well as the commonsense view that it would be more disorderly for someone presenting as a woman to use the men's room. Disorderly conduct is the usual catch-all charge in such cases, and that means you have to be doing something disorderly, not simply be perceived as doing something wrong by someone who's ignorant of the law.

Just because you have the right, however, doesn't mean some hysterical restroom user or misguided security/cop won't disregard the law or act in ignorance of it, so be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by abigailf View Post
    I said it partly in jest as I am not out to the public yet. It could be a bit risky. But what a fun way to make that task more enjoyable.
    A BIT risky??
    The judge could make a good case of you're using your crossdressing to get out of jury duty, especially since you're not 'out' yet. It would seem that the only reason you suddenly 'came out' was to get out of jury duty. You'd probably wind up in a cell, cited for contempt of court, with god knows what kind of people. Think about all the possible ramifications of your actions before you do them. Some could be quite severe.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    A BIT risky??
    The judge could make a good case of you're using your crossdressing to get out of jury duty, especially since you're not 'out' yet. It would seem that the only reason you suddenly 'came out' was to get out of jury duty. You'd probably wind up in a cell, cited for contempt of court, with god knows what kind of people. Think about all the possible ramifications of your actions before you do them. Some could be quite severe.
    Thank you for your concern. The risk I refer to is not legal risk but of seeing someone my wife knows there.

You need to realize, I am a transsexual and not a cross dresser. I am actually a woman, but being the doctor said I was a boy at birth I am now stuck with the label of "transsexual" and an incorrect ID. I barely own any male clothes anymore. Maybe a suit and some over-sized slacks. I go as female or I don't go at all. If that ends me up in jail with a bunch of big fat hairy men, then I suspect I may need to recall those years of martial arts training and then prepare for the legal battle of a lifetime.

I would not prefer it, but I don't fear it. Because there is nothing worse then living like a male when everything inside of you screams otherwise.

This is just who I am and if it isn't legal, then by God I will make it legal.

Besides, as others have stated, I am not the first transsexual to go to Jury Duty.
    - AF

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeannL View Post
    Janice,
    While I have not had the experience myself, there have been two or three stories here in the last year of members actually doing so. The most recent one, Dilane became the foreperson (forewoman?). Here is the link:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...mme-the-sequel

Leann
    Leann,thank you for sharing that link, wow I am surprised! That will teach me to speculate!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Disrespect for the court, disruption, deception, or anything else that the judge's imagination might come up with.

Never argue with anyone who has an armed bailiff and a jail cell at the ready.
    I don't understand. There is no disrespect. It's no different that a woman wearing a suit and a tie.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie001 View Post
    I don't understand. There is no disrespect. It's no different that a woman wearing a suit and a tie.
    In your opinion. Others may have differing opinions. One of them might also have a gavel.

I'll refer back to my original thought. If you have confidence in your ability to present as a woman comfortably for an extended period of time and you are supported by adequate anti-discrimination statutes then there is no problem with going dressed. Just about all TS folk and many CDers who spend most of their time en femme fall into this category.

For those of us who aren't at that level of confidence it would be best to save CDing for a less stressful environment.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

there is no statute that prevents you from dressing as you like on jury duty. there are social norms for your area that can be worse than statutes though. how you are percieved by the judge and the lawyers can differ greatly in court as opposed to outside the courtroom. cd'ing in court can result in problems most of the time, only each individual can determine if the risks outweigh the possible ramifications. I made several j.d. appearances as a female well before I transitioned but was well known ahead of time as a crossdresser and transexual. it was a non-event in my case as I dressed that way all the time.

just be prepared whatever happens

Danni

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    I don't think I would crossdress for jury duty! You could be held in comtempt by the judge, besides being dismissed!
    Yep. Judges don't have a sense of humor when it comes to such things. Amd you probably don't want to spend the night in jail dressed as a girl.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Danni Bear View Post
    there is no statute that prevents you from dressing as you like on jury duty. ...........
    Perhaps, but judges have a lot of discretion in their courtrooms.

A former co-worker of mine, a rather large man, was called to jury duty and showed up in his work clothes. The judge told him he had to wear dress pants and shirt and a coat and tie. When he protested that he didn't own any dress clothes, the judge told him to buy or borrow them. He ended up buying a suit just for jury duty.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    ... don't want to spend the night in jail dressed as a girl.
    Look at the bright side, it would be another thing you could cross off (or add on and then cross off) the things I did as a girl list.
    - AF

I would suspect the judge would see you as "Klinger" from MASH trying to get out of jury duty. The defense and prosecutor would probably see you as someone who would not take the case seriously. Personally I have no desire to ever be on a jury and it's primarily because the law has been twisted to the point that not all evidence and individual history can be conveyed.

Lucky me I haven't had jury duty for twenty years. I guess there are some benefits to becoming a senior citizen.

Vieja