Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Places to get dressed besides home

Quote Originally Posted by franlee View Post
    A lot of people that rent Storage Units use them. I have seen pictures of them set up like a dressingroom. Some are enviromenntly controled too. Ingress and egress are sometimes monitored by security. Pesonaly
    Fran
    Hey shes right ,Those things have power an air an heat ,, Its all in how you set it up an you can pull down the door and be alone in there for hours. An its a hell of alot cheaper than a motel,, You can rent one of those for a month an have access 24-7 an they only cost 35-50 bucks a month all ya need is a 5-10 or 10-20 an you can be all alone . Make sure ya get a climate control cuz it will be hot in the summer.
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Go camping in a secluded area! You can change in your tent, stay dressed all day, hike in heels, enjoy a bonfire in a dress, play soccer in a skirt...

Yes, I've done some (but not all) of this. It was kinda fun.

Wow the storage unit! Best idea EVER! Thank you so much.

Aspiring Member
    I'm with Karren, places where there is a family restroom is probably the best. Scout around because there are a couple of fast food chains that has one available and most are one user at a time. I don't know where you are but most major department stores have one, I know Kohl's for sure. If worried about what to carry your stuff in, use a backpack. It has several large storage areas where you can separate shoes, bottoms and tops plus a little compartment for make up.

The storage unit idea is interesting. I don't know what the monthly rate is but one that is big enough to have a mirror and chair and enough room to hang your male clothing would be nice. What do you think, about $20 a month? Not bad, I hope you live in a warm climate or that you can get enough air in the summer because with the amount of make up I need in order to go out would be totally melted before I got out the door.

Karren, I wouldn't mind meeting Barry; I understand that he is into antiques......I would make an interesting collectable. Oh no! Yuuuuup! Here comes Dave, I better hide!

Tying up a single family restroom for twenty minutes could be a problem for families who want/need to use it. You can do it, but it seems a little selfish. Carrying a big bag in and out might raise suspicion of shoplifting if you're in a retail store.

If you're serious about this and have the funds, a storage unit seems like a good idea but keep in mind that there will be video of you coming and going. There might also be phone calls or mail to your house from the company that owns the unit.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Formerly Deborah Whitney
    Quote Originally Posted by StacyChambers View Post
    Go camping in a secluded area! You can change in your tent, stay dressed all day, hike in heels, enjoy a bonfire in a dress, play soccer in a skirt...

Yes, I've done some (but not all) of this. It was kinda fun.
    I've done this, it's a lot of fun until it's shower time ... lots of secluded campsites have nothing but a little cold shower, not a lot of fun turning 'un-femme' that way although I suppose the cold shower does bring you back down to earth

I too like the storage area idea, will have to look into that.

I used to underdress to the point where all I needed was the wig and make-up. Usually wore a pair of nylon Nike type pants and light jacket so from the outside I did not draw any attention. I then found several different bathrooms in public places where entering and/or exiting would not be an issue, kind of like Karren's unisex bathroom idea. With the proper planning, you can get in and out quickly with your foundation and other basics, and then do the final touch-ups in the car. It is very do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Tying up a single family restroom for twenty minutes could be a problem for families who want/need to use it. You can do it, but it seems a little selfish. Carrying a big bag in and out might raise suspicion of shoplifting if you're in a retail store.

If you're serious about this and have the funds, a storage unit seems like a good idea but keep in mind that there will be video of you coming and going. There might also be phone calls or mail to your house from the company that owns the unit.
    there more interested in the color of your money not the color of your wig.. as long as your not living in it, they dont care.
    they will never send something to your house for risk of law suit. and you can be on the no mailing list that most places set up.
    but they leave it on you to pay your bills on time no reminders or your stuff will end up on storage wars. for every body to see.

Hi ! This is a very common obstacle for many of us. I am married for many years, my wife knows, tolerates, but does not want to see as my Robin. As my agreement with her I do not leave my home dressed. On the positive side there are MANY ways to get dressed other then at home. At a lot of events and support groups you can get dressed right at the place itself. I know some who share a room at a motel and share the cost. Another GREAT WAY is to mingle,socialize,network get feminine friends - someone will have a place or idea plus you'll get great friends. I came out 6 years ago and have made countless friends and have never looked back. It is well worth the effort and sacrifice ! Best of Luck and Hugggs, Robin

Worst places I have ever dressed:
    In the car. (Putting on pantyhose in a car is tough!)
    In the stall in a busy men's room.

Best place I've dressed/undressed:
    Clothing store changing room. "Hi, I'm a crossdresser, can I change my clothes in your changing room?" Normally, I have already shopped there before.

I used to change in two minutes flat in any handy phonebooth . . . not many of them around any more, though.

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    My wife knows and is OK with it all so I usually get most everything done at home and then do the rest at the tollway oasis or sometimes at my office. She really doesn't like me leaving in full out girl mode so I'll respect her wishes and finish the look away from home. When we go out together as two girlfriends she wears a wig and changes her look quite dramatically so nobody knows it's us, of course we also don't shop near our house.
    I want to be this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRA MICHELLE View Post
    My wife knows and is OK with it all so I usually get most everything done at home and then do the rest at the tollway oasis or sometimes at my office. She really doesn't like me leaving in full out girl mode so I'll respect her wishes and finish the look away from home. When we go out together as two girlfriends she wears a wig and changes her look quite dramatically so nobody knows it's us, of course we also don't shop near our house.
    Thats a blessing for you so if she changes her look then if somebody knows both of you an your seen out an they see her they will automaticly be looking for you so if they dont recanize her then they wont be looking for you . Make sense
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Advice based on my personal experience

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D View Post
    I'm with Karren, places where there is a family restroom is probably the best. Scout around because there are a couple of fast food chains that has one available and most are one user at a time. I don't know where you are but most major department stores have one, I know Kohl's for sure. If worried about what to carry your stuff in, use a backpack. It has several large storage areas where you can separate shoes, bottoms and tops plus a little compartment for make up.

The storage unit idea is interesting. I don't know what the monthly rate is but one that is big enough to have a mirror and chair and enough room to hang your male clothing would be nice. What do you think, about $20 a month? Not bad, I hope you live in a warm climate or that you can get enough air in the summer because with the amount of make up I need in order to go out would be totally melted before I got out the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    Carrying a big bag in and out might raise suspicion of shoplifting if you're in a retail store.

I have a storage unit for my stuff, but it doesn't really work well for changing.

http://www.ezstorage.com/

First, it's pretty expensive. The current rate for a 5x5 is $39 per month, and that's the low end of the range in my area (Northern VA). Some prime locations are much more ($65). Mine is not climate controlled; that would be about $10 more per month. Needless to say, larger ones (5x10) are even more expensive ($59/$94).

Access is only 6AM to 9PM.

The only lighting is in the hallway, and it's on an automatic timer. When it times out, you have to go out and reset it. There is no electricity for lighting or a makeup mirror, and the lockers get dark when the door is closed. The lighting is actually a safety issue. About 8 months after I moved into my current locker, the building where my old locker was burned down. Someone managed to get a Halogen light it, left it on, and started the fire. I guess I got lucky.

There is video security, but my place has residential mangers (a couple) who both know me because I come every month to pay in cash. The one time I changed there, I know I got caught coming out dressed by the male manager. At least they were nice enough not to say anything about it since then.

My guess is that you can work around all these problems, but check them out before you sign a contract, and you will have to sign a contract with your real name, address and ID.

As for the family bathroom, don't use one in a store. Think about it. You come in and go out with a back pack full of clothes, maybe looking a little nervous. Looks like a shop lifter to me. At best, you have to explain to security not to call the police because you own all the clothes. At worst, you get to tell your story to the local LEOs. I have used one in the common area of the mall, and didn't go through any stores.

Best place I've ever changed. My town has a community building with meeting rooms to rent at get this $6 per hour. The last time, I even got a room with a bathroom and mirror, and of course A/C in the summer.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.