Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Wellbutrin stop my dressing?

Did Wellbutrin stop my dressing?

I recently noticed that I wasn't feeling good (depressed) and asked my Dr for a antidepressant and she put me on Wellbutrin. Since starting it my desire for dressing and sex drive/self pleasure has gone completely away. I'm not really complaining because I would love to be able to date again without having to deal with the having to reveal the "bombshell" lurking in the closet. (tired of being alone)

Wondering if others have had the same happen to them.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Interestingly, it was while I was on Wellbutrin (due to pretty hefty depression) that I realized that was a cross-dresser. I would not say that in itself it made me more or less likely to cross-dress, but it helped me to process that my "trying things on" had a reason, and gave me the freedom and confidence to act on my realization.

A little-known fact about Wellbutrin is that it is one of the few known true aphrodisiac drugs. It was never intended or marketed as such at all, but there was a standard trial study for anti-depressant purposes, and at the end of the study almost all of the women asked to be permitted to stay on it because there had been notable increases in their sexual desire.

I have seen diminishing of sexual desire listed as a possible side effect for Wellbutrin. I cannot say that I noticed either way myself. I would say that it helped me feel more positive about myself overall.

Silver Member
    I know some males (cis and dressers) who have claimed it didn't increase their libido per se, but that it made their orgasms far more intense and they absolutely loved it!

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    An acquaintance's doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for her to counteract the loss of sexual desire from he Prozac prescription.

Paxil killed my libido and most of the rest of my personality, from temper tantrums to sense of humor. Wellbutrin brought most of it it back. I'm in that group who hope that dressing and understanding my TG issues will enable me to stop Wellbutrin, rather than the other way around!

Not wellbutrin, but flouexitene (prozac), and 22 yrs on lithium. At 57, Almost no libido left. I no longer feel like releasing, when i dress. Several years ago, I still had some sexual energy. Taking herbs to help that, but they mess up my brain, now! We all lose our libidos as we age.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It MAY just be a coincidence but:

My desire to dress suddenly at age 50 came at about the same time that they started me on meds to shrink my prostate!
    Those were proscar and terrazocine, I believe? I've been taking them for 15 years! And, u can see from my avatar where my dressing has taken me in that time!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethamy View Post
    Paxil killed my libido and most of the rest of my personality, from temper tantrums to sense of humor.
    I have heard much the same far too often for me to feel comfortable with Paxil.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethamy View Post
    Wellbutrin brought most of it it back. I'm in that group who hope that dressing and understanding my TG issues will enable me to stop Wellbutrin, rather than the other way around!
    Wellbutrin helped me a lot when I needed it, but eventually I stabilized at a point where it was no longer doing all that much for me. I think the big advances for me the last few years have been through therapy -- but I would not been able get to that point without the meds having prepared the way.

I think your missing part of your own post.

Hoping that the drug will allow you to date with your cd'ing coming up is IMHO wrong thinking. Once you are feeling better and of the drug. Don't be surprised if ( read when ) your cd'ing desire comes back. Your going to have to deal with it and so will your new partner.

About your libido. Who knows really. Every drug effects every person differently. Your went away. Theirs went up. Just concentrate on getting better and off the drugs.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    It MAY just be a coincidence but:

My desire to dress suddenly at age 50 came at about the same time that they started me on meds to shrink my prostate!
    Those were proscar and terrazocine, I believe? I've been taking them for 15 years! And, u can see from my avatar where my dressing has taken me in that time!
    Hmmmmm, yes, it may be coincidence, Sherry, but I went from house to far-out-and-about after a while on Proscar (Finasteride). The other awesome side benefit is that if you start it before you develop male pattern baldness you are much more likely to keep your hair!

Here's to Finasteride!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Wellbutrin is not supposed to have those side effects. Its the SSRI's such as lexapro, prozac, zoloft, ect. that affect your libido. The depression itself causes loss of interest in sex and loss of interest in things you used to enjoy so its possible that the wellbutrin is not working for you and your still depressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    I have overheard several GGs talk about how Wellbutrin increased their sex drive. My wife has been on it for ten years with no decrease in her already healthy libido.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis

Nope. Wellbutrin has had no negative impact on any aspect of my sexuality, although I am pretty much transgendered, not a crossdresser.

Maybe it affects you differently in that way?

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeniinnylons View Post
    I my desire for dressing and sex drive/self pleasure has gone completely away.
    Looks somethings like the side effects of metaprolal, some of which I had. No thanks. Good luck with your meds.

side effects from
    www.drugs.com

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Wellbutrin:

Changes in appetite; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight changes.
    Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Wellbutrin:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); pale stools; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

I had to jump in on this.

Wellbutrin can reduce you libido, but it also reduces Obsessive Compulse symptons.

Crossdressing is IMHO in most cases just another Obsessive Compulsive behavior. It's benign so I don't worry about.

I would love to know how many heterosexulal crossdressers may have a touch of Tourette's Syndrome.

Just an thought

Benita

Fact: Another name for Wellbutrin is Zyban. Insurance will pay for Wellbutrin because it is for depression but not for Zyban which is used to quit smoking even though it''s the same thing.

I personally think you should consider seeing a therapist for some counceling. Doctors are way to eager to throw drugs at things and not treat the underlying cause. It did the Wellbutrin thing and the problems it caused did not outweigh the bennefits. I still fealt depressed and now I hade undesireable side effects to deal with. I learned some things about my depression and a few ways to counteract it without drugs. For me crossdressing is a release from the day to day stresses and a wonderful way to unwind and relax. I get a blissful fealing of euphoria everytime I dress and it is wonderful. The Wellbutrin pretty much killed that for me so my feeling of depression actually grew as my desire to crossdress wained as a result.

Last edited by Suzy Parker; 02-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benita05 View Post
    I had to jump in on this.

Wellbutrin can reduce you libido, but it also reduces Obsessive Compulse symptons.

Crossdressing is IMHO in most cases just another Obsessive Compulsive behavior. It's benign so I don't worry about.

Benita
    This explains it. I'm not really complaining because this could be a good thing. I would love to be "normal' and find someone to be with but haven't dated in years due to this huge bomb that would eventually have to be dropped. Last person I dated I let know about it (partially because I knew she would find out eventually and partially to sabotage the relationship due to being afraid to get close to someone) was done with me almost as soon as finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeniinnylons View Post
    I recently noticed that I wasn't feeling good (depressed) and asked my Dr for a antidepressant and she put me on Wellbutrin. Since starting it my desire for dressing and sex drive/self pleasure has gone completely away. I'm not really complaining because I would love to be able to date again without having to deal with the having to reveal the "bombshell" lurking in the closet. (tired of being alone)

Wondering if others have had the same happen to them.

Whoa- opening a can of worms here. I've been on a few minor AD Anti-anxiety protocols, never stopped my desire to CD. Ov'e done other self-directed experiments, and experimented with drugs, and they only seem to lower my inhibition to crossdressing. On some serious pain killers for a bad back problem- i used to go out running (late at night) en femme- running bra, shorts, etc- appropriate to an 30 something suburban chick out running.

Don't read anything into this- psychoactive are supposed to change your outlook. "Worst" case scenario- you only dress up to get a sexual charge out of it-- oh you poor thing, you are not crossdresser for the purpose of wanting to be female. Well, your loss, but so what? Dress to get off as much as you want- it's okay. Really. The only problems that might arise are others not understanding (or being willing to admit they really DO understand~!).

Yes, it is confusing. No, it is not wrong. This is the way you are- your brain is literally the most complex thing in the universe we know of. By several orders. It is going to come up with some bizarre ideas, that actually IS a part of your brain function (over millions of people, the chances for a very useful bizarre idea are large- and therefore evolutionarily useful) CD for fun, even sexual fun is normal, really.

Now, AD drugs depress the sexual response system. This is why i'm suggesting yor CD is mostly sexually drivan. Nothing wrong with that- the willingness to explore things not usually associated with your affiliated groups, Male, hetero (?), etc... actually indicates higher IQ than not. Enjoy it. Have fun. Dress a few time even if you do not feel like it- your brain is smarter than you think!

Cheers!

-kristi
    Last edited by Krististeph; 02-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Silver Member
    "Ahem"

Medically speaking.

Please remember that we really do not know what these drugs do or how they work. Medical efficacy trials are carried out by the drug companies themselves with NO regulatory oversight. The drugs are then shilled to doctors by highly paid salesmen with LOTS of bribery money who are intent upon nothing but getting the new drug on the market. Couple that with sophisticated media ads and you end up with a new miracle drug. Whether or not the drug actually works has NOTHING to do with it's introduction.

Stephie

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    Whoa- opening a can of worms here. I've been on a few minor AD Anti-anxiety protocols, never stopped my desire to CD. Ov'e done other self-directed experiments, and experimented with drugs, and they only seem to lower my inhibition to crossdressing. On some serious pain killers for a bad back problem- i used to go out running (late at night) en femme- running bra, shorts, etc- appropriate to an 30 something suburban chick out running.

Don't read anything into this- psychoactive are supposed to change your outlook. "Worst" case scenario- you only dress up to get a sexual charge out of it-- oh you poor thing, you are not crossdresser for the purpose of wanting to be female. Well, your loss, but so what? Dress to get off as much as you want- it's okay. Really. The only problems that might arise are others not understanding (or being willing to admit they really DO understand~!).

Yes, it is confusing. No, it is not wrong. This is the way you are- your brain is literally the most complex thing in the universe we know of. By several orders. It is going to come up with some bizarre ideas, that actually IS a part of your brain function (over millions of people, the chances for a very useful bizarre idea are large- and therefore evolutionarily useful) CD for fun, even sexual fun is normal, really.

Now, AD drugs depress the sexual response system. This is why i'm suggesting yor CD is mostly sexually drivan. Nothing wrong with that- the willingness to explore things not usually associated with your affiliated groups, Male, hetero (?), etc... actually indicates higher IQ than not. Enjoy it. Have fun. Dress a few time even if you do not feel like it- your brain is smarter than you think!

Cheers!

-kristi[/COLOR][/B]
    Yes my CD started out as sexual but in recent years there were plenty of times I would dress not to "get off" but to relax, feel feminine and just be. These session would NOT end in pleasing myself at all. This desire to feel girlie got stronger in the last few years even wanting to get made up and go out.

Banned Read only cracks_in_porcelain's Avatar
    When I am depressed I focus more on my dressing and I start perfecting it. If anything it would effect you physically after looking it up. When I took Wellbutrin as a lad it made me vomit like crazy but it didn't change my normal activities in any way. For a lot of us our world centers around dressing, sometimes we just don't want to deal with it. It's completely normal.. you don't always have to have the urge.

Banned Read only cracks_in_porcelain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    "Ahem"

Medically speaking.

Please remember that we really do not know what these drugs do or how they work. Medical efficacy trials are carried out by the drug companies themselves with NO regulatory oversight. The drugs are then shilled to doctors by highly paid salesmen with LOTS of bribery money who are intent upon nothing but getting the new drug on the market. Couple that with sophisticated media ads and you end up with a new miracle drug. Whether or not the drug actually works has NOTHING to do with it's introduction.

Stephie
    Girl unless you are a doctor don't start claiming things for the hospital. You sound like one of those paranoid hippies in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    "Ahem"

Medically speaking.

Stephie
    Er... No. While lots of drugs have side effects, there -is- a medical, scientific community that do research on these drugs, are very critical (such is the nature of science) and thorough. Yes, drugs companies are trying to make money - but doctors are trained to diagnose and cure, not add to anyone's burden. Meds prescribed by doctors, and made by drugs companies aren't the problem - it's the "alternative" medicine crowd with their herbs, spices and vitamins that DON'T have tests done on them (real medication does) that are the problem.

Annnddd back on topic; to the op, while I can understand why you'd take these to stop your CDing urges (it can be very stressful), you'll regret it I think. Repression is never a good thing, and doesn't work. The genie will get out of the bottle, and if you've designed your house and home around that ticking time bomb then you'll have more than a few problems when it goes off. I'd advise to just keep looking for your perfect partner. Love isn't easy; it's difficult to find (hell, does it even exist?) but surely cutting a part of your life out isn't going to help? I've always found potential partners receptive to the fact I CD (I'm just too embarrassed to do so in front of them xD). Ultimately, I have no idea of the circumstances etc. of your life, and I'm just some text on an internet forum but honestly, I don't think repressing this will help.

Long-winded text is long-winded, sorry, it's been a long day xD

Quote Originally Posted by cracks_in_porcelain View Post
    Girl unless you are a doctor don't start claiming things for the hospital. You sound like one of those paranoid hippies in the 70's.
    Urrr -- Stephenie S does indeed have the qualifications to make the statements that she made.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benita05 View Post

I would love to know how many heterosexulal crossdressers may have a touch of Tourette's Syndrome.
    There's the answer for the distressed GGs - just sneak a little 'ol Wellbutrin into the SO's coffee. That will take care of THAT problem.

Whoops - gonna make some of those Tourette Syndrome problems worse, though!

I'm quite familiar with TS. You're painting with a very broad brush, Benita.

Lea